Bran loaf hasn't risen well and has a v crusty crust!

(7 Posts)
Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 20:11:51

Well I'll give it a go - if I modify the recipe enough it will contain everything DS needs for his daily nutrition grin

Festivelyfedup Fri 21-Dec-12 20:06:39

I'm afraid I have no idea! My knowledge is solely based on what it says in my bread machine recipe book!

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 18:38:13

Brillo - thanks smile What would the general criteria be for using it? ie when might I need it, other than in this case? When would I use that over baking powder or bicarb? I'm not even sure what bicarb does but I know some recipes ask for it!

Festivelyfedup Fri 21-Dec-12 18:25:33

Not seen it at the supermarket but Holland and Barrett have it. Use a quarter of a tea spoon for a large loaf.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 18:08:12

Ah no I didn't try that. Where can you buy vit c powder from? Is it in normal supermarkets? Would it be with the making stuff? And how much would you put in?

Festivelyfedup Fri 21-Dec-12 17:58:08

Did you use Vitamin C powder? I think it helps it rise.

Biscuitsandtinsel Fri 21-Dec-12 17:52:58

Hi,

I've baked this recipe for an All-Bran, prune, fig and apricot loaf (guess which problem I'm trying to help DS with? grin). Anyway, it came out 'ok' (and DS likes it which is the main purpose!) but the crust is pretty chewy (I just cut the crust off for DS) and it is pretty heavy in texture.

Is that just because of the ingredients or could I have made it / baked it better?

Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now