Food colouring

(5 Posts)
nannycook Fri 07-Dec-12 22:19:37

i usually use the paste to colour things, today i made 3 cakes, lilac, blue and pink then i coloured the fondant in very pale fondant.

No difference that I know of. Try these - the only ones to avoid as far as I am aware are the Dr Oetker gels (because they don't colour well, not that they are going to do anyone any harm).

Rockchick1984 Fri 07-Dec-12 13:12:55

Ah, I understand! So is there a difference between gel colour for icing and gel colour for cakes? Or do you have a link for the type I'd need? Thankyou for the advice! thanks

Nothing special - It's gel you want - and you need to over-colour the batter as it will fade as you cook it. The problem with the liquid ones is that you would have to put so much in to get any effect that the liquid itself would mess with the cake recipe, IYSWIM.

Rockchick1984 Fri 07-Dec-12 12:23:57

I need to make a coloured sponge cake, however I'm finding it hard to understand what sort of food colouring will give a good effect. Is liquid rubbish? I was looking on amazon at gel food colouring but they all seem to be for colouring icing, is there something else to put into cake batter? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now