Tray bake advice please

(21 Posts)
Slainte Thu 06-Dec-12 21:21:04

I'm going to make Nigella's malteser tray bake and maybe some rocky road bars of other tray bakes. Can anyone tell me if I should line my baking tray with parchment/greaseproof paper please? TIA

PurpleGeekyGirl Thu 06-Dec-12 21:32:43

Deffo line with baking paper as they stick otherwise or are a royal pita to get out! Enjoy grin

Slainte Thu 06-Dec-12 21:50:17

Thanks Purple

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 22:39:43

Slainte, i watched Nigella yesterday and she did a fab traybake, she melted chocolate, butter, syrup in a pan, added some salted ( yes salted) peanuts and crushed crunchie bars, the set in the fridge and cut into squares, look lush.

PurpleGeekyGirl Fri 07-Dec-12 06:29:47

I call that recipe culinary crack, it's soooooooo addictive nanny!!

silver28 Fri 07-Dec-12 06:35:31

Mmm I've made the peanut one, it's wonderful.

The Malteser one is my go to recipe for all events which demand a tray bake (surprisingly many!). It always goes down really well. Definitely line the tin. I always put a full covering of melted galaxy chocolate on top too (looks neater and more chocolate can't be a bad thing).

Slainte Fri 07-Dec-12 06:58:41

nanny are you trying to kill me? The tray bakes are for a party in my house - I'll end up eating most of that grin

silver good idea thanks.

lolalotta Sun 09-Dec-12 06:47:42

Slainte watch out for Nanny's recommendations if you are watching your waistline, she posted me a recipe for some mince pies that were so divine I wanted to scoff the lot!!!! wink
grin

SavoyCabbage Sun 09-Dec-12 07:19:48

Which book is the malteser one in? It sounds gorgeous and pesky dd1 is allergic to peanuts.

The nigella rocky road is amazing I've made it with 2/3 dark and 1/3 milk and basically whatever I've got around so whatever biscuits, cherries, even the marshmallow tea cakes chopped up a bit was nice.

Slainte Sun 09-Dec-12 09:22:18

Quick post recipe is here

Pootles2010 Sun 09-Dec-12 09:24:21

The peanut one is truly awesome. May I be cheeky & ask where mince pie recipe is from?!grin

SavoyCabbage Sun 09-Dec-12 11:28:31

Thanks slainte. I'm definitely going to make it.

silver28 Sun 09-Dec-12 18:43:02

Oh yes I'd appreciate a good mince pie recipe too

silver28 Sun 09-Dec-12 18:43:47

Was just about to type 'please' when I accidentally posted the message!

silver28 Sun 09-Dec-12 18:47:45

Can I also add that the hummingbird bakery rocky road recipe is amazing. Unlike most of their recipes which tend to be unnecessarily complicated and often incorrect. I particularly like the fact it doesn't have biscuit in, as I think biscuit ruins rocky road grin. The recipe does make a bloody massive amount though so I tend to scale down.

nannycook Mon 10-Dec-12 20:18:06

Lola you've started something now with the divine mince pies, i'll happily post recipe to anyone who wants it, i had to freeze the last lot i made cos i was eating them like they were going out off fashion. And no i wont be making the peanut traybake as i'll eat the lot. I did a very nice pavlova yrstrday, trial run for xmas, nearly eaten all that too, made s choccy custard and whipped it into double cream, very very bad i am! Will put some baileys in the cream next time.

Pootles2010 Tue 11-Dec-12 13:18:50

Yes please nanny!

nannycook Tue 11-Dec-12 18:35:14

Pootles,hope you like my recipe, i think lola did. 5ozs plain flour, 1oz corn flour,4ozs butter,zest of 1lemon,1oz caster sugar and 1egg yolk.cream together butter lemon and sugar, add sifted flours and yolk and mix together bring together, lola put hers in the fridge which she said was much better as its very difficult to roll out, pastry is very short. I cooked mine for 10 mins ish on gas 5. These are gorgeous even tho i say it myself.

nannycook Tue 11-Dec-12 18:41:37

Pootles, just to let you know that amount is very small i trebled mine to make about 27 ish if thats any help.x

Pootles2010 Tue 11-Dec-12 19:06:33

Ooh lovely ta! Can't wait to try them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now