cost of selling mince pies.

(14 Posts)
nannycook Sat 08-Dec-12 06:30:27

Yd, i made that mistake over 20yrs ago asking a friend to give me what she thought something i made in a cake decorating class was worth, £2 she gave me, was not impressed. Like yesterday i made a 3 layer cake for a friend in work, 8inch, all pale lilac and pink, made a ribbon and bow to go on the side, all same colour but different style flowers, spent ages on it, £30 i'll charge her which i guess is about right, its a labour of love when it comes to things like that. I'll put pic on my profile pics when i come home from work or tomorrow.

YDdraigGoch Fri 07-Dec-12 13:38:41

Why don't you ask them to make a donation of their chosing - I bet they'd pay more than you would dare to ask for.

DeafLeopard Fri 07-Dec-12 12:46:18

Forget supermarket prices, you can't compare their products to lovely handmade fresh baking - worth so much more.

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 22:26:32

Horatio, think sounds about right, she actually wants 14 cupcakes and 12 mince pies, the other person wants 10 cupcakes and 12 mince pies, i'm no good at charging the right price because i always think they could go to a supermarket, but homemade are so much nicer.

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 22:20:18

Yd, again alot goes into the cupcakes as i've been asked to make the all different with various xmas designs on them, which i thought i'd do snowflakes on a navy fondant disc with silver dragrees, swirls of white buttercream with mini xmas trees, holly and berries and some santa faces, snowmen, and xmas puds, so thats all the fondant icing to. i made all the cupcakes for children in need in nov with handmade pudsey faces, took me 3 hrs to make those, thankfully they all sold in 2 hrs, and i always pipe jam into the middle,.

YDdraigGoch Thu 06-Dec-12 21:47:45

Posh pastry! grin Agree that wont be negligible.
You can get 6 mincies for £1 in Sainsbury's at the mo, though yours would be MUCH nicer. 50p sounds reasonable.
Cupcakes sell for about £1.50 each - which is extortionate unless for charidee, how about 75p for those?

HoratiaLovesBabyJesus Thu 06-Dec-12 21:36:53

12 cupcakes you should easily charge £10 - professional ones would be £20 or more.

PurpleGeekyGirl Thu 06-Dec-12 21:30:07

I charge £2.50 for 6 large or 12 mini mincepies with homemade mince meat etc. it's a bit more than standard supermarket but cheaper than luxury ones and they taste a lot nicer and are all free range/fair trade/organic. They cost me £1.15 to make but I bake in batches of 48 which take 40 mins from start to finish so are more economical the more you sell iyswim.

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 21:19:34

And on top of their mince pies they also asked me to make 12 each cupcakes, with all xmas decs on them which is very time consuming.

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 21:13:10

Yd, dunno if i class the pastry as negligible, it has two lemons, caster sugar, plain flour, cornflour and egg yolk, it isnt so much i want to make a huge profit but as they've asked me to make them and this is for xmas eve for the both of them so its my time after all, i thought 50p each, what do you think?

GreeenFingers Thu 06-Dec-12 20:24:29

Ingeredient and time x 3 is the normal formula. so the more you make the more affordable they are, Mincemeat ( shop bought) alone is a bit cloying so you might want to add some grated apple ( cheap'). Best of luck.

YDdraigGoch Thu 06-Dec-12 20:20:54

Are you looking to cover the cost, or make a profit?
Jar if mince = £2?
Pastry = negligible
Electricity = £? (Couple of quid max)

Jar if mince makes approximately ?20 pies.

So cost of each pie less than 20p.

DeafLeopard Thu 06-Dec-12 20:12:13

I guess work out the total cost of the ingredients and add on a bit for your time / oven costs. It's difficult because you're never going to be able to price yourself the same as mass produced, but what you make is so so much nicer, so worth it

nannycook Thu 06-Dec-12 19:47:07

I've been asked in work to make some mince pies for some of my colleagues, how much would you charge? For one, or 12? I dont have a clue, these mince pies cost alittle bit more than average as they have, lemon zest, caster sugar, and egg yolk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now