Mince pies

(41 Posts)
foofooyeah Wed 28-Nov-12 09:27:51

Sorry if this has already been covered. Complete novice baker here but want to make some mince pies.
I fancy doing some pretty ones with stars on top - and how long will they keep once cooked?

Does anyone have a easy recipe for how to make please, and what basic equipment I will need, and best place to buy it (very reasonably). Only equipment I have is a bowl and sharp knife!

LIZS Fri 21-Dec-12 16:49:51

Making Paul Hollywood's recipe here . How long does the pastry keep for ? We have some leftover form Wednesday's batch that has been in the fridge, would it be any good still ?

VikingVagine Sat 15-Dec-12 12:24:47

I made mince pies with 3yo DD yesterday (made mincemeat a couple of days ago following Delia's recipe). For the pastry I followed this recipe, and added an egg yolk to the mixture. It was handled to death by DD and still came out beautifully.

nannycook Mon 03-Dec-12 21:32:29

Lola maybe your right, mine were alot shorter this time as couldnt even roll the pastry out whereas last time i could manage it albeit gently. Mind the pastry is so nice, wait for it, i actually eat the raw pastry, thats one very desperate cook dont you think?

DS2 (3) and I made mince pies with ready rolled pastry and robertson's jarred mincemeat. He loved pressing the pastry into the holes in the tin, filling them with mincemeat and putting stars on top. They don't look that brilliant (as I let him do it himself) but they taste great and he's very proud of himself.

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 21:13:02

Lol, nannycook, about "the night isn't over!!" grin
I forgot to mention, I used real butter in mine (all I had in the fridge) maybe this was why mine were a bit fragile?

nannycook Mon 03-Dec-12 21:06:04

Lola, just made 30 if these,Dh said they were different this time,alot shorter, however i did made them in my mixer and the mix was alot softer, and i put 2 egg yolks in so abit wetter. Still love them and i've only had 1 , night isnt ovet yet though, ha ha

nannycook Mon 03-Dec-12 21:01:49

Back2two, have to be honest they're never around long enough to find out, but i would think a good few days really.

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 20:46:41

Nannycook might be able to tell you...3 days I'd guess????

Back2Two Mon 03-Dec-12 20:38:41

They sound great. How long would they keep for cooked and in an airtight container do you think?

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 20:29:16

Ok so I have eaten 3 today! blush It's a good job some have gone in the freezer....
DP has just given them the seal of approval! grin

nannycook Mon 03-Dec-12 12:18:30

Lola soooo glad they turned out so good for you. They are fab arent they?guess yiu could aleays put put some more egg in to make it wetter. I have non stick tins but naybe grease but shouldnt have to. Now be good and dont eat them all will you?

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 11:31:31

I did struggle getting them out of the tin a bit, my pastry seemed a bit fragile...just wondering if the mixture needed to be a bit wetter? My egg wasn't a large one...maybe my yolk wasn't big enough? Should I have greased the tin maybe?

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 11:25:50

Planting????? BEING!!! Silly phone! wink

lolalotta Mon 03-Dec-12 11:25:05

nannycook they are AMAZING!!!!! grin
Really, very, very good! Not sure how I'm not going to eat the lot to be honest! I made them in the food processor which made the mixture come together fairly easily (TBH I a bit rubbish when it come to shortcake style mixtures) and then I put the dough in the fridge for half an hour and then rolled them out and they worked a treat! I have only cooked half and am going to freeze the other half uncooked and then bake them at a later date! Not sure if this will work but I thought I would give it an experiment, but anyway THANK YOU VERY MUCH for planting so kind as to post the recipe! grin xxx

mnistooaddictive Mon 03-Dec-12 00:17:00

I have, you make them and then freeze uncooked and then pop out of tins and put in a box altogether on freezer before doing the next lot. When you want to eat, you put the required number back in the tin and cook straight from frozen. It works really well and stops me eating them all in one night!

nannycook Sun 02-Dec-12 20:41:38

Lola these really are very easy, like i said just cream butter sugar and lemon together, stir in the flour then add your egg i used a knife to bring it all together , you can gently roll it out try it and see for youself. I didnt get to make mine tonight, been busy making flowers for a cake i' m doing next weekend. Good luck cooking tomorrow, if you want any advice will be on lunch around 12.30 ish.

lolalotta Sun 02-Dec-12 19:41:34

BTW, have any of you tried freezing these uncooked? I have read it can work very well....

lolalotta Sun 02-Dec-12 19:40:31

Oh no I got Waitrose mincemeat!!!!

DingDongKethryverilyonHigh Sun 02-Dec-12 19:35:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lolalotta Sun 02-Dec-12 19:11:55

nannycook, we went to Waitrose today and got everything in we need, so looking forward to giving these a go tomorrow morning...not sure how straight forward that's going to be with a 2 year old little helper but should be fun! grin
Sound lush with the ice cream!!!!! smile

Mincemeat a stupid easy to make and as already said last forever plus you can put in whatever your favourite things are.

Just keep an eye on them as its easy to go from almost to over dine

nannycook Sun 02-Dec-12 18:18:48

Dindong, dont blame you. When i take things to work i'm amazed that one mouthfull and its gone and its taken me bloody hrs to bake, grrr!

DingDongKethryverilyonHigh Sun 02-Dec-12 15:59:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannycook Sun 02-Dec-12 14:44:24

I also used Robertsons mincemeat wuth is very nice by the way.

nannycook Sun 02-Dec-12 14:42:44

Lola i'm gonna make some more later tonight, and to be really really bad i bought some madaghastan vallina cream from Sainsburys, so so so naughty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now