Need ideas for after school snacks

(7 Posts)
InNeedOfBrandy Thu 22-Nov-12 13:50:50

getting fed up of fairy cakes and flapjacks.

TIA

redwallday Thu 22-Nov-12 16:26:01

Fruit
Mini sausage rolls
Little party sandwiches
Raisins
Fruit cocktail
Brioche
Soreen
Toast
Fruit bars

My kids like 'party food' so little sandwiches with fruit and maybe a yoghurt

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 22-Nov-12 16:28:42

I want baking ideas, I never thought to bake my own brioche rolls! I could make fruit bars as well.

twolittlelovelies Fri 23-Nov-12 10:13:54

With you on the brandy thing! For brioche try this simple recipe :

50g caster sugar
60ml warm water
2 x 7g sachet fast acting yeast
4 beaten eggs
450g strong white flour
pinch of salt
225g butter (softened)
1 beaten egg for egg wash

Place the sugar, water, yeast, eggs, flour and salt in a bowl and mix with a dough hook until you get a stiff dough. Now add the softened butter a teaspoon at a time allowing each addition to be mixed in before adding the next one. When the butter is all added the dough should be silky. Cover the bowl with cling and leave in the fridge to rise overnight. In the morning knock back and (working quickly) either place in two lightly oiled and floured loaf tins or, to make little rolls, divide the mixture into 18 pcs and place each piece in a butter and floured muffin mould. Brush each with a little egg wash and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 mins then bake in a preheated oven (180C) for 20-25 mins. The loaves take a little longer (45-50 mins). Good luck, it seems a bit of a faff by my two luuuuurve them! And you know what's in them!

bunjies Fri 23-Nov-12 10:29:28

Gingerbread
Banana bread
Home made sausage rolls are a doddle. Ready rolled puff pastry, good quality sausages taken out of their skins and bob's your uncle.

InNeedOfBrandyButter Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:04

Oh sorry I didn't reply didn't realise anyone posted back after me. Thankyou for the recipe I will be using that! And bunjies (lovely name my ds brother is called that) I didn't think to make gingerbread and sausage rolls are on my list thankyou!

mrsvilliers Wed 05-Dec-12 10:07:49

If you want an easy sausage roll recipe I have one here using pork mince http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/pork-apple-and-thyme-sausage-rolls.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now