Breadmaker - how little salt can I get away with using and still have nice bread?

(15 Posts)
ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 19-Nov-12 20:26:24

I dunno, have a look at the ingrediant listing on some white plastic bread and compare.

I do remember there being a headline about a slice of bread having as much salt in as a packet of crisps - but no doubt that was a load of alarmist shite!

tory79 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:12:24

IS there actually less salt in breadmaker bread though? A tsp of salt = 6g!

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 19-Nov-12 17:27:45

you need to put in the amount specified by the yeast that you use. Salt acts as an inhibitor on the growth of yeast and is a very important element in making decent bread.

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 15:31:01

I don't actually use a bread maker. I tried one once and it was so terrible I went back to hand making it.

Startail Mon 19-Nov-12 15:27:29

It is supposed to do something, but one run on the bread maker doesn't cost much so I'd just try it.

I know breadrolls accidentally made with no salt (school cooking) were horrid. So I'd try 1/2

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 15:24:03

Not convinced! I never use it, nor add oil (only use an oiled board for shaping).

jennycrofter Mon 19-Nov-12 15:22:18

I use LoSalt. I'm not sure if it's any better for babies, but it tastes fine, and keeps the Fil happy.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 19-Nov-12 15:20:12

ah well, there you go. I always though it was just for flavour!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 19-Nov-12 15:09:15

We use the breadmaker all the time, and put in 1.5 tsp for a large loaf. To be honest, the amount of rubbish in shop bought bread was one of the reasons we started using the breadmaker....the chances are that an eqivalent loaf of shop bought bread will have a lot more salt. So if you make the bread, the recommended levels of salt will be a huge reduction in any case. And our (panasonic) makes nice bread....even our French AP likes it! The other reason we got a machine was cost - with the amount of bread our series of French APs eat, it is definitely cost effective!

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 19-Nov-12 13:54:01

no, salt is just for flavour. Sugar, yeast, flour and water are part of the alchemy. You can dispense with the salt and butter if you want

Frontpaw Mon 19-Nov-12 13:45:53

I never use any at all.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 19-Nov-12 13:45:05

Isnt salt part of the alchemy?

it's only 1tsp per loaf anyway, that shouldnt cause a problem.

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 19-Nov-12 13:37:28

you can use no salt at all if you like, it's only for flavour. Mind you mine only uses a teaspoon per loaf, so not much really

tory79 Mon 19-Nov-12 13:36:15

When I first started weaning ds I was very virtuous and bought a breadmaker....suffice to say he is now 14 months and I have never used it! However, he LOVES bread, and probably has far too much (and therefore far too much salt) so I really need to get off my backside and actually make some bread.

So my question is, how much can I reduce the salt by? I would like to use as little as possible so I feel less guilty about ds bread consumption (although knowing my luck he will turn his nose up at mummys efforts....)

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now