a fab tip i picked up re fruit cake feeding today

(4 Posts)
OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 19-Nov-12 01:05:06

Instead of "feeding" your fruit cake over weeks and weeks you put the brandy over the cake while it is still warm from the oven. The warm cake acts like a sponge and soaks up all the alcohol, meaning you can make a fully "matured" cake a matter of days before the big event.

I was at a demo watching Eddie Spence MBE, maker of royal wedding/birthday/jubilee cakes and all round cake decorating legend and this was one of his gems for the day.

nannycook Fri 23-Nov-12 22:06:21

Ohdear, that sounds good to me.
The cake decorating exhibition at the NEC when i went on the 11th i also watched a demo by Sean Bird, he said instead of throwing your manky old oranges out try putting it in water bring to the boil and simmer it for 45mins, he then put the whole thing in a food processor, skin, pips, but he did say you must take out the center bit as it wont grind down, then he added it all to a cake to make an orange cake.

Doshusallie Fri 23-Nov-12 22:09:56

Whoops. I added brandy when the cake was still hot and have been feeding it too...... This is going to be one alkie cake......

nannycook Fri 23-Nov-12 22:17:30

Dosh, hic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now