Black buttercream

(8 Posts)
peeriebear Mon 19-Nov-12 22:07:03

I attempted this last year- DD1's birthday cake. It was rainbow cake with black icing instead of the usual white. I bought Betty Crocker chocolate frosting and added black gel dye. I couldn't get it fully black as the taste of the dye started to be noticeable, but it was very dark.

HoneyDragon Mon 19-Nov-12 22:02:06

I used black sugarflair paste last year for Halloween cakes and it was fine confused

Startail Mon 19-Nov-12 21:57:16

I wouldn't try, very dark chocolate icing or ready made black fondant.

Your going to have a real problem making black butter cream that still tastes reasonable.

nannycook Mon 19-Nov-12 21:46:06

Ooo Karen03, what are you making to use black buttercream? i'm intrigued!

rockinhippy Mon 19-Nov-12 01:14:47

You can use mascarpone cheese, or thick cream instead of butter of veg fat, keeps the taste and the colour wink

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Mon 19-Nov-12 01:08:34

Use white vegetable fat as a base rather than butter. This will help you achieve a true black rather than a yellowy shade which you will get with butter

Or use a swiss merinuge buttercream which is also very white but better tasting. You need to incorporate lots of air to whiten your buttercream

HoneyDragon Sun 18-Nov-12 14:58:50

sugarflair. you can et them on eBay. Will give perfect black smile

Karen03 Sun 18-Nov-12 14:57:12

Hi

Any good tips for getting a really black buttercream? Do you start with a brown choc buttercream? Which is the best black gel food colour?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now