Breadmaker - what ingredients do I need?

(8 Posts)
MoreBeta Sat 17-Nov-12 18:55:27

Yes 5 tsp of dried milk powder mixed in at the beginning makes a crusty top on the loaf.

mrsnec Sat 17-Nov-12 14:02:01

Sesame oil so they can make tiger bread? Also we like a lot of savoury breads in this house so as well as the seeds idea how about some nice herbs olives and sundried tomatoes.

SunnyUpNorth Sat 17-Nov-12 13:54:49

Thanks all,the boxes are all sealed up in cellophane and I have now wrapped them hence I couldn't look at the recipe book.

It was more a few ideas of useful things I could get to start them off and maybe a few more unusual items too.

Never heard of milk powder?! Is that just like a dried milk? Would it be with the UHT type milk in the supermarket?

MoreBeta Sat 17-Nov-12 08:20:59

Definitely take a close look at the recipe book that comes with the machine and buy ingredients as specified.

I find with a bread maker you have to be quite precise and follow the recipes closely. Bread though is fundamentally just really water, flour, yeast, salt, sometimes oil/butter/milk/egg.

I'm pretty sure you can look at the recipe book that comes with the bread maker online, or just open th box I suppose! Why not do that and make sure they've got what they need for what you think will be the first things they want to try?

Waitrose do an excellent selection of bread flour mixes. We get the crunchy seed one but they do all sorts so a couple of those would be nice too.

Liskey Sat 17-Nov-12 07:55:48

I forgot to say I can recommend the fruit and mixed spice bread as that's gorgeous (gets devoured here with lots of butter!).

Liskey Sat 17-Nov-12 07:54:16

The recipes with the Panasonic are really good. If they want to make 100% or 70% wholemeal loaves/dough then I think you need vit c powder. Another ingredient my Dad always leaves out is milk powder as he doesn't like the idea of it - he then always comments that my bread rolls are a lot nicer than his!

SunnyUpNorth Sat 17-Nov-12 07:47:56

I have bought my parents and FiL breadmakers for Christmas. I wanted to put together a little hamper for each of them with essential ingredients to get them started.

I bought them the quite decent Panasonic ones so don't want to spend a fortune on ingredients, so wanted to get it right.

I was thinking a couple of types of flour, some yeast, maybe some packs of seeds or nuts etc. any suggestions would be gratefully received and preferably stuff I can get in the supermarket if possible.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now