Icing nigellas's chocolate fruit cake

(10 Posts)
DebK2012 Sat 22-Dec-12 12:03:09

Gold stars and chocolate coffee beans wink

amazingmumof6 Fri 16-Nov-12 10:15:05

phew, you got me worried there for a moment! grin

actually, I think if the marmite slogan is true I must be the only person who's attitude is that I don't mind either way!

mamaonion Fri 16-Nov-12 09:20:18

Let me clarify, hate marzipan, love marmite, like mushrooms and mayo grin

amazingmumof6 Fri 16-Nov-12 00:27:50

mamaonion if you don't like mushrooms and mayo either I'll be furious! grin

mamaonion Thu 15-Nov-12 23:30:21

Ha ha must be like marmite! I think it's yuck!

amazingmumof6 Thu 15-Nov-12 23:16:24

I'm disappointed in you girls, marzipan is the best! grin
I never eat the cake, only the marzipan.....and now I fancy some.....

back to cake, you can stick smarties on the side or sugar flowers or chocolate stars - and by all means you are so welcome to send me a slice! yum yum

mamaonion Thu 15-Nov-12 21:55:39

Thanks amazing that is the kind of look I was envisaging! Fun not pastille cute!

Thanks bluebird, I always pick it off too! Seems a bit wasteful! Not too fussed on it being ultra smooth, my Leon cookbook mentions nothing of marzipan under Royal icing so I was a little confused. Seems to suggest slapping it straight on.

bluebird68 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:49:11

sorry can't help except to say i think marzipan is very important to create a smooth look. you may be able to use a double coat of the top icing instead- i've never tried but seems logical. I never eat the marzipan but it just peels off so don't see any issue that that. In fact i always peel the icing and marzipan from fruit cakes and leave it on the side.

amazingmumof6 Thu 15-Nov-12 21:47:42

chocolate cake is the best, hands down! we had one for DS5 Baptism, it was fab!

I use Betty Croker's ready made icing/frosting/buttercream (whatever it's called. which you can pipe or spread an it's delish!,
available flavours are chocolate, chocolate fudge, vanilla and I think there's butterscotch (not sure)

it will be a bit different but so what? and a little tip, mini fireworks are so much fun, we used them before!!

I bought these at tesco's, .but I'm sure others do them to or cake supply shops or party shops

mamaonion Thu 15-Nov-12 21:15:01

As a fruit cake novice I have made Nigellas's chocolate fruit cake for my son's christening this weekend. It looks pretty good and smells heavenly! But now I'm not sure what to do for deco. In Feast she suggests either choc ganache style icing (which sounds yummy but not very traditional) or using a ready roll icing in her Christmas section (which I think tastes nasty-yet looks quite professional in past experience).

So my questions are: would it be very weird to have a chocolate christening cake if I decorate with his name maybe and one sparkly bits? Has anyone attempted icing this cake before? If I did Royal icing without marzipan would this not work? (Really not keen on marzipan plus very short on time as its on Sunday!!)

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now