6" & 9" cake mix quantities pleeeeeeeease!

(10 Posts)
lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 21:39:42

I am making a birthday cake tomorrow and (rather ambitiously) plan to create a 2-tier stacked affair.

The recipe book I have says 5 eggs & 9oz flour sugar & butter FOR EACH LAYER!!! So 10 eggs in total. This is madness, no?

Then says 3 eggs 5 oz everything else for each layer of the 6 inch cake.

16 eggs, 28 oz flour etc....This seems like WAY too much cake mix, would it make really huge tall cakes???

I've googled it & got many different answers, could someone please give me a definite answer before I drive myself loopy? I would be incredibly grateful!

I don't know if you're doing square or round. If it helps with proportions, I do a 3 egg mix in a 10 inch square tin (twice) or split the same quantity bewtween two standard Victoria sandwich tins. So assuming your cakes are roughly the same size as mine, I'd be using a total of 10 eggs.

(I weigh the eggs then use the exact same weight of flour, butter and sugar)

HTH smile

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:22:58

Sorry, they are round tins. Is 10" square about the same as 9" round then?

Am I being thick or would that not make 9 eggs altogether? Or would you use 2 eggs in each 6" tin? Thanks ever so much :-)

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:30:11

That's what I use to do those sizes of cakes. It will give you cakes that are about 3.5 - 4" tall in total once they're filled and iced.

You will have to trim the tops a little in order to make the cakes perfectly level so they look good once they're stacked - my advice would be to trim them, then turn the top layer of each cake upside down so the trimmed section is in the middle. It will give you a much neater finish when you ice them.

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:31:59

Oh, forgot to say, square tins need MORE mix than round so a 10" square would need the same amount of mix as a 11" round.

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:36:23

My brain hurts! confused

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:40:00

Sorry, it's late, I'm clouding the issue grin.

9" cake - 10 eggs, 20oz each of butter/sugar/flour, quick splash of vanilla essence.

6" cake - 6 eggs, 12 oz each butter/sugar/flour, quick splash of vanilla essence.

It sounds a lot but it will give you a really impressive cake.

2 tiers look rubbish if each tier is a bit poxy and thin!

lentilweavinghippy Wed 14-Nov-12 22:58:17

Oh my gosh, so the original recipe was right! Wow, it's gonna be a monster!

Ah well, go big or go home eh? wink

Cheers for your help!

LadyDamerel Wed 14-Nov-12 23:08:10

No point in being half-arsed about it grin.

SugarandCrumbs Mon 19-Nov-12 11:13:29

I can't believe you think too much cake is a problem! smile

Give this page a whirl to help with quantity conversions, cake portions and tin capacity:

sugarandcrumbs.com/wheretostart

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now