Delias Xmas Cake - Help - kind of urgentish

(8 Posts)
SoggySummer Tue 13-Nov-12 14:43:45

Its out! Thank you! I dont have an option to turn off the fan in my oven.

Thank you smile

Taffeta Tue 13-Nov-12 14:39:52

....seriously, I have a fan oven I cook Delia's cake every year, without the fan.

It needs about 45 minutes less than she says. That recipe was from the 70's when ovens were shit. If the skewer comes out clean, take it out.

Viewofthehills Tue 13-Nov-12 14:38:51

It sounds close to done.
Try skewer right in the middle. It should come out absolutely clean.
As insurance I turn off oven and let it stand in there as it cools with the door just cracked.

Taffeta Tue 13-Nov-12 14:38:00

TAKE IT OUT NOW

BadRoly Tue 13-Nov-12 14:37:48

Yes I have and I can't remember - I made 2 last year and one didn't get eaten so I checked it yesterday and it seems fine...

I think I went with 4 hours...

BadRoly Tue 13-Nov-12 14:36:54

My mum used to make me listen to the cake but I can't remember if it is noisy when it is ready or if it needs longer blush

SoggySummer Tue 13-Nov-12 14:36:44

I meant to ask if anyone has cooked Delias in a fan oven before and if they didnt need to full 4 hours or so.

SoggySummer Tue 13-Nov-12 14:35:40

I have just cooked Delias Christamas cake. She says not to even open the oven door or look at it for 4 to 4 1/2hours and to cook it on 140 and then decide if it needs even longer.

Anyhow - about an hour ago it started to smell rather well done. I peeked it looked OK as I have it well protected with 2 layers of greaseproof paper on the top and brown paper tied around the outside of the tine.

It has now been in my fan oven for 3 1/2 hours at 125. It looks done, smells done. Just dipped a skewer and it came out pretty much clean. How do I know its definately cooked? Last years was a tad too moist in the middle - everyone blamed me over feeding it but I think it was slightly undercooked. I had a gas oven last year - so cant compare the cooking times.

Any advice? Have left it in there for another 10 minutes and hope I get some replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now