Whisky/Dundee cake

(10 Posts)
Lottieloulou Thu 22-Nov-12 09:27:56

I have done delia. It was a little crumbly and dry, perhaps overcooked
Yes, I could taste the whisky

bluebird68 Wed 14-Nov-12 16:39:47

sherry is often used in fruit cakes

bluebird68 Wed 14-Nov-12 16:38:38

i'd say yes, but only faintly without the extra alcohol used to feed the cake.
Use whatever alcohol you like or substitute something else completely. I usually use brandy as i don't drink spirits and keep a bottle of brandy for cooking.
The main thing is to soak the fruit before you mix the cake to plump them up and get in extra flavour. I've done fruit cakes with tea and orange juice (not mixed together!) . I've heard of apple juice or cider being used. I'd like to try cider in a fruit cake one day.

MissWooWoo Wed 14-Nov-12 15:19:00

bit of an odd question but here goes - can you "taste" the whiskey? I love Dundee cake and usually just buy one but since discovering DD's nut allergy I'd like to make my own this year. Hate whiskey though.

missmoffatt2705 Wed 14-Nov-12 15:02:41

I made a River Cottage Dundee Cake where you had to soak the fruit in whisky overnight and I won a prize for it in the local village show. I think it might be in Pam Corbin's RC cake book.

queenrollo Wed 14-Nov-12 12:28:35

i made the Delia dundee for the first time this year. I clearly didn't wrap it well enough when I baked it as it feels very heavy and i'm pretty sure it's quite dry. Fortunately DH has a large whisky collection so it's been fed copious amounts of Jura just don't tell DH over the next couple of weeks and I'm hoping that will rescue it.

bluebird68 Sun 11-Nov-12 12:57:33

i've made Delia's dundee cake several times and its fab! I know several people who don't like traditional christmas cakes but they all loved it. I even used it to make the fruit layer of a wedding cake for someone who wanted a less heavy cake for some guests and something more modern (i.e choc) for other guests.
Just make sure you really wrap it well before sticking it in the oven and don't overbake. last year i did and it ended up slightly dry- first time i've done that with this recipe.

fruityoatybrains Sat 10-Nov-12 22:23:13

Thanks Delia it is then!

jungletoes Wed 07-Nov-12 16:13:13

I've not made a Dundee cake but Delia's Christmas cake recipe is the best and an absolute winner.

fruityoatybrains Wed 07-Nov-12 15:58:36

I am posting this again as i didn't get any responses in the Christmas topic. sad

Last year I bought my PIL a whisky cake (amongst other bits) for Christmas. They really enjoyed it.

So I was thinking of making one this year as I am not a bad baker. Has anyone tried Delia's Dundee cake?

Is it any good or does anyone have any other suggestions for recipes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now