Can you help me make a Woolly cake topper please?

(4 Posts)
spookysal Sun 04-Nov-12 09:57:15

I have just realised I need a second cake for dd1's party. Was so busy concentrating on how on earth I'm going to make the Gruffalo cake for her birthday I had forgotten about the cake for her party the following day.

I am thinking about just doing a cake with white icing and then making a woolly cake topper to sit on top. I can't do links from my phone but he doesn't look that hard (I know nothing about making cakes though)

Does anyone have ideas how I could do it? Will it look awful? How far in advance could I attempt it?

I would prefer to buy one but the party is Saturday so I think this is my only hope!

spookysal Sun 04-Nov-12 09:58:33

Woolly is the spider from Woolly and Tig on Cbeebies btw!

He should be pretty easy to make, you can buy ready coloured fondant and if you can get to a cakey shop a little something called CMC or Tylose to add to the fondant (it makes it firmer and it sets better) MAke all his component parts and leave them to set slightly before using a little vodka(it's okay the alcohol evaporates and you won't have drunk kids) to paint on the bits you want to join.

here is a very simple looking Woolly

fruityoatybrains Mon 05-Nov-12 16:28:11

Oh that topper is so cute! I want to make a Woolly cake for my DS's birthday. This cake is really nice, might attempt something like this. Good luck with your cakes spookysal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now