Will 'basics' flour make awful cake?

(21 Posts)
AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 15:42:09

Asked Dh to grab some plain flour from sainsburys so I could bake a cake with the dcs, he bought their basic range saying he thought it wouldn't matter as it was only for the children to use. It's going to be solid as a brick isn't it?

MaureenMLove Fri 02-Nov-12 15:42:56

No. I always buy basics flour and I make a lot of cakes. Nevr had any complaints!

insanityscratching Fri 02-Nov-12 15:43:31

Put an extra spoon of baking powder in that should help.

I use it all the time & am told I'm a very good baker! I think it's all pretty similar.

MaureenMLove Fri 02-Nov-12 15:43:43

Although they will be flat if you use plain flour! wink

Durab Fri 02-Nov-12 15:50:14

Flour's flour afaic. I wouldn't dream of buying anything but basic for any purpose, but as Maureen points out, don't you want self raising for a cake? Basic SR flour also fine.

AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 15:52:26

I was doing this recipe, doesn't mention baking powder hmm. Think the whole 8 egg 10 minute whisking thing maybe makes a difference? Glad to hear basics flour OK though, thank you!

Trills Fri 02-Nov-12 15:53:55

it'll make perfectly normal cake

AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 16:01:23

I'm not much of a cake baker but make a lot of bread where ime the quality of flour makes a big difference, good to know I can save money in the future.

starfishmummy Fri 02-Nov-12 16:06:58

It should be fine.
THe basics bread flour is OK too,

Dolallytats Fri 02-Nov-12 16:07:29

I bake every couple of days and always use basics/value flour....I bake lovely cakes!!

cupcake78 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:08:36

It will be perfectly fine

Tuttutitlookslikerain Fri 02-Nov-12 16:22:27

I always use basics flour, I've never had any complaints!

dashoflime Fri 02-Nov-12 16:24:18

sift it and it'll be fine

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 02-Nov-12 16:26:24

It's fine, I agree with dashoflime that sifting might be a good idea if you're making a sponge cake

AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 16:32:02

Well, cake in the oven so we'll see. Although think it's failure might have more to do with Dd1 dropping two eggs on the floor, Ds falling off chair and hitting his face on table and my giving up too early with the whisking due to Dd2 crying around my ankles.

It was not the fun activity I anticipated grin!

Longtallsally Fri 02-Nov-12 16:32:48

Another one who bakes with basic flour here. A consumer test I saw yonks ago showed that the basics products they tested were often as good, and sometimes better quality than branded goods! They tested the frshness, nutritional quality, texture etc. and showed how much basics save on the design/ wrapping rather than the content.

beginnings Fri 02-Nov-12 16:35:07

Another basic flour user - it's absolutely fine! I have occasionally gone all organic and expensive and honestly, have never really been able to see the difference. My cakes and scones are generally complimented!!

AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 18:15:40

Oh dear, well my cake is hideous, not sure what went wrong but doubt I can blame the flour, we shall be using it as a frisbee tomorrow. Will stick to the mn victoria sponge in future!

sausagesandwich34 Fri 02-Nov-12 18:20:24

I made that cake twice, once heating the egg and suggar mix, once doing it cold

doing it cold works much better as it's impossible to over cook the egg

lovely cake though

AWimbaWay Fri 02-Nov-12 20:09:47

Mine wasn't lovely sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now