Cholesterol

(7 Posts)
VikingVagineGhoulnamStyle Sat 27-Oct-12 10:46:28

So, DH has just been told he needs to cut down on cholesterol. I love baking and obviously making lovely buttery cakes is no longer an option. Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of things I can bake that are low in cholesterol?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 27-Oct-12 16:38:14

you should look to reduce the saturated fat levels in his diet rather than looking at the cholesterol levels in food (cholesterol levels in food have little or no effect on the levels in the blood - saturated fat causes more issues).

www.benecol.co.uk/tips-n-tools/healthy-body/reduce-cholesterol - I know it endorses its own products but might be helpful

VikingVagineGhoulnamStyle Sun 28-Oct-12 07:48:40

Right, as far as know he needs to avoid animal fats and eat vegetable alternatives. Can you bake decent cakes with margarine?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 28-Oct-12 07:57:07

that benecol site has butter substitutes to use for baking or what about something like the Bertolli spreads that are made with olive oil

bakingaddict Sun 28-Oct-12 08:00:26

You can bake cakes with margarine such as stork although it will taste different but I wouldn't use it at all for making icing. Dont try and use any of the low fat butter substitutes such as Utter Butterly, Flora, Benecol for baking though.

These have a much higher water content than proper butter and you just wont get a proper bake from them

VikingVagine Sun 28-Oct-12 08:03:23

Ok thanks, ironically enough, you can't get olive margarine here (south of France)! I've found a few recipes that call for oil instead of butter so I'll give them a go.

fromthehealthyheart Sun 06-Jan-13 18:23:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now