Which Kenwood mixer? Feeling confused!

(26 Posts)
jammiecat Fri 26-Oct-12 23:49:07

Looking for some opinions please. Been researching food mixers and had pretty much decided on Kenwood Kmix but then I started looking at Kenwood chefs (the KMC570) so now I'm not sure. I don't really need a liquidiser (we have an ancient one and rarely use it) and I don't know if I need the extra wattage. I will be making mostly cakes and bread is it makes a difference. Other than the wattage the only difference seems to be look and more attachments available for the chef. I've been reading reviews and specs but am just left totally confused and don't know what to do. Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Sydneyaustralia Sun 10-Feb-13 14:16:14

has anyone experienced the KMC 030?

utahforever Sat 09-Feb-13 17:51:34

We have a Kenwood Chef Titanium and my DH looooooooves it smile

We both remembered them from our childhoods and decided to get the 010 model.

Due to a manufacturing fault and the lovely Customer Service at Kenwood, they replaced it with the shiny titanium and we haven't stopped cooking since grin

Enjoy your machine.

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 17:17:19

the increased wattage is very useful if you buy any attachments later.
and the jug is amazing - you can also use it as a food processor, not just a aliquidizer.

nickelbabe Sat 09-Feb-13 17:16:15

get the kenwood chef.

not the really basic one, but the one with the blender jug.
you also get k-beater, whisker and dough hook.

i love my kenwood chef.

Sydneyaustralia Sat 09-Feb-13 17:15:33

Hi - did you decide? I am deciding between KMC 010 and 030. thanks

Sydneyaustralia Sat 09-Feb-13 17:13:38

Hi - I agree Kenwood is great - my mother's which was 40 years old just stopped working - i am trying to decide between the KMC 010 and the KMC 030. Only difference is the folder, timer and safety lock. What do you think? thanks

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sat 03-Nov-12 13:55:37

I have a Kmix too and I love it. I got the Prospero when everyone on here did like a sheep but returned it and got a Kmix instead.

Have used it lots more than I thought I would. It has made me fatter.

daisydoodoo Mon 29-Oct-12 11:17:55

I have a kmix the same as oohnewshoes linked to, i had only been using it for mixing simple cake batters but have branched out in last few weeks to make meringues and pastry and bread dough.
I use the dough hook simply to bind the ingrediants and then knead by hand, you can use the dough hook to knead, i just prefer to do it by hand.

jammiecat Sat 27-Oct-12 23:50:42

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Fred - hope you get the Chef.

In the end I decided to go for the Kmix as it has a slightly smaller footprint than the chef which makes it better for us as it will be out all the time. As I don't make bread all the time (and also have a breadmaker) so I'm going to risk sticking with the 500w of the kmix. There is also an offer at the moment for a free attachment for the kmix so works out about £80 cheaper. Although there are fewer attachments, looking at the Chef attachments the roto food cutter is the only one I really want (and is available for the Kmix). They both seem to come out well in the Which? reports anyway.

I have placed my order and am now looking forward to making lots of cakes and meringues :-)

misstrunchball Sat 27-Oct-12 22:46:43

I bought my Kenwood Chef from a Brownie jumble sale about 4 years ago for £3.00. All I had to do was put a new plug on it and away we went.

I loooooove it as it has the pyrex? bowl which is fabulous. Before this I had a Braun mixer which was good but I must admit the cakes come out from the Kenwood absolutely brilliantly.

Didn't have the liquidizer but not bothered with that but can't live without it.

Waswondering Sat 27-Oct-12 19:34:44

Another KW Chef fan. Mine is 14y old, on my counter top, and used constantly. Mum's is almost 40 y old and going strong too.

Good luck (btw I rarely use the liquidizer, it's in the cupboard, but if I need it, it's there!)

Hello 1944girl. Mine had a wobble about 6 years ago when I made royal icing in it at Christmas. I took it to be repaired - 30 quid and it was as good as new again smile

1944girl Sat 27-Oct-12 19:25:51

Hello MrsMinivers
I have a 30 year old Kenwood Chef as well, it is still working like new!

oohnewshoes Sat 27-Oct-12 19:17:55

I have the kmix this one which is great. I think its very like the KA.

I currently need a food processor and have been looking at the attachments here I'm hoping the grater will be a good investment.

Nyunya Sat 27-Oct-12 19:09:05

Hello! First time on the baking forum.

Wanted to put a word in for the kmix - I have one and love it. Went for it over a chef as when I had a look in the shop the dial on the chef seemed very flimsy and I was quite disappointed; I remember my mums chef being brilliant and lasting 30 yrs. After a bit of a 'don't make them like they used to' discussion with dh we plumped for the kmix and love it.

However, that was about 4-5 years ago so the chefs may have improved.

On the downside it doesn't have many (or any?) attachments compared to the chef. Looks better, though. I use it for cakes, meringues etc and have used it for bread in the past, but now use breadmaker or by hand (just like kneading, not because the kmix isn't up to it.)

hth

My Kenwood Chef is about 30 years old and still going strong! I make lots of bread and cakes in it and I luff it.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Sat 27-Oct-12 18:56:20

I do love my Kenwood Prospero (same principle as a Chef but smaller, lighter and cheaper).
When I'm rich/cooking larger quantities when dcs are bigger, I'll get a Chef, but for now the Prospero makes me very happy.

I have a chef.

I love it

FredWorms Sat 27-Oct-12 18:52:01

OK, I'm bidding on a chef. Wish me luck!

Ladyflip Sat 27-Oct-12 07:07:01

I have a Kenwood chef. Great for dough, whisking, and mixing. Not had a kmix to compare but do have a food processor which does the jobs the Kenwood can't. The chef is really heavy duty, and allegedly lasts for years (mine is 9 yrs old).

FredWorms Sat 27-Oct-12 00:40:42

I think that, as you suggest, the increased wattage must be good for the kneading. I've been doing it in my KW processor for the last 3 weeks, almost daily, and I don't think it's going to last much longer. This is just a quick mix to bring it all together, say 60 seconds max. There's a crack in the bowl and it leaps about the worktop!

My beadmaker broke after 10+ years service, but I only ever used it for the kneading cycle anyway so a heavy duty table-top mixer would make far more sense for me.

jammiecat Sat 27-Oct-12 00:09:59

Here's hoping someone with experience of one or other might come along at some point!

Fred I've heard that too. I'm wondering whether that's where the increased wattage is useful or whether that's just to power the liquidiser.

It's all so overwhelming, so many choices. It's taken me ages to narrow it down to Kenwood as it is!

FredWorms Sat 27-Oct-12 00:05:15

Not much help there then grin

FredWorms Sat 27-Oct-12 00:04:52

Me too grin

I think I might go for a chef as I make a lot of bread and I understand the dough hook is good for kneading?

BackforGood Sat 27-Oct-12 00:03:46

Marking place as I want one too, but don't really know which one I want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now