Can I use grease proof paper instead of brown paper?

(14 Posts)
oohnewshoes Thu 25-Oct-12 20:49:17

I'm about to make Delia's Christmas cake and it says wrap in brown paper to protect while baking.

Can I use grease proof instead?

RightUpMyRue Thu 25-Oct-12 20:50:10

In that situation I'd imagine they're one in the same.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Thu 25-Oct-12 20:53:34

So what's the difference between grease proof and parchment? Since there's knowledgeable people around...

RightUpMyRue Thu 25-Oct-12 21:00:53

Grease proof/baking parchment/brown paper....the difference? The price probably. I have no idea really but I like being called knowledgeable grin

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Thu 25-Oct-12 21:34:55

gah! At least pretend to be technical!

CunningPlan Thu 25-Oct-12 21:38:42

Brown paper is the parcel wrapping type. I'm sure grease proof paper will be fine. It's just to stop the sides of the cake from burning.

Marne Thu 25-Oct-12 21:41:33

Brown paper is thicker. i would double it up if using grease proof (just for extra protection from burning), i think the brown paper is to stop it cooking too quickly, stoping it from being burnt on the outside and raw in the midle.

oohnewshoes Fri 26-Oct-12 09:44:02

Ok thanks all, I will double up the grease proof paper.

I couldn't be bothered running all the way to town for brown paper. Where the hell would you get it anyway?? Perhaps post office.

I was worried the grease proof would not protect enough. I haven't a clue what I'm doing and want it to be right. It's for a party on Christmas eve. I have fucked p to many tines before with seemingly innocent substitutes

Bunbaker Fri 26-Oct-12 09:48:57

"Grease proof/baking parchment/brown paper....the difference? The price probably. I have no idea really but I like being called knowledgeable"

Greaseproof is only greaseproof and not non stick. Baking parchment is non stick as well. I never use greaseproof paper for baking any more and think it is a waste of money.

I have made Delia's cake before and found it needed a lot longer in my (gas) oven than the time stated in the recipe.

bacon Fri 26-Oct-12 12:00:46

You dont need to buy brown paper you can use envelopes - I recycled two large brown envelopes then wrapped foil to make a long life collar that I use regularly. You can also use a couple layers of newspaper. Sorry greaseproof will not suffice the idea is to stop the edges heating up too quick hence the colour and thickness.

I only buy baking parchment now, cheap enough in the supermarket. I bake a lot and works great. Really have no use for greaseproof.

nannycook Tue 30-Oct-12 21:36:57

Ha ha, Bacon you are the knowledgeable one, never thought of using brown envelopes.

Bert2e Tue 30-Oct-12 21:43:17

Use newspaper!

nannycook Tue 30-Oct-12 21:45:54

However i use greasproof now and again if i've run out of piping bags, it does make a good piping bag though.

mawbroon Tue 30-Oct-12 22:00:20

I used newspaper for mine, it came out beautiful!

Also stand the tin on a double layer of paper to protect the bottom too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now