(17 Posts)
MoreBeta Wed 10-Oct-12 20:29:36

Oooh only £2.40.

I can feel a small treat coming on. grin

Thanks for that!

beta just looked its £2.40 on amazon!

I only replaced mine a few years ago but can't remember where I got it beta

scurryfunge Wed 10-Oct-12 19:55:05

I feared so. Mine looks like a pigeon has pooed on them!

Scurry, its an art. I usually start off with grand ideas for icing my cupcakes and by the third one I just give up and plonk the icing on grin

Practice practice practice!!

MoreBeta Wed 10-Oct-12 19:50:34

EnglishGirl - if ever I find a BeRo book in a shop I'll buy it. My mother always baked from it.

Does anyone know if the BeRo book can still be bought new by mail order from somewhere?

MoreBeta Wed 10-Oct-12 19:48:50

Runnerlegs - I bake every day but it really is no shame to go to the supermarket and just buy them.

Do you milk your own cows and make your own clothes?

I was going to say banana bread too, you would have to be trying really hard to mess that up. If you want biscuits go for shortbread - 3 ingredients, its impossible to get it wrong.

For a real novice I would recommend the be ro baking book. I used utter to learn as a kid and its still my favourite baking book now.

CakeBump Wed 10-Oct-12 19:41:38

Victoria Sponge, easy peasy.

I bake cakes for DH's restaurant - I'll pm you my recipe.....

tanfastic Wed 10-Oct-12 19:40:54

I started baking again early this year. Started with basic Victoria sponge mix and did cupcakes with various toppings and have progressed to more interesting recipes. Did maple syrup and pecan cupcakes at the weekend and they were fabulous.

If you want something dead easy which will impress just bake two Victoria sponge cakes, whip up some fresh cream and jam for the middle, more fresh cream on top and then decorate with fresh strawberries. Looks and tastes amazing trust me! grin

scurryfunge Wed 10-Oct-12 19:40:05

I'm fine with cooking any savoury recipe and trying just about anything but I've never really done any cake baking. I made some cupcakes this afternoon but totally failed with getting the swirly topping to look good. Is it an art or are there any foolproof tricks to make it look presentable?

Yes, cupcakes are a good start.

Banana and choc chip muffins are really nice and easy too!

I'm 43 and I'm not gong to start now!

Shakey1500 Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:51

I'm 43 and never baked one either smile In fact, I made my first ever omelette the other week <preen>

Um....Victoria Sponge?

DisappointedHorse Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:27

Banana bread! I can't bake to save my life and it always turns out really well.

tanfastic Wed 10-Oct-12 19:33:17

A basic Victoria sponge or plain vanilla cupcakes. You can't really go wrong there..can you confused

Runnerlegs Wed 10-Oct-12 19:31:24

....and as I have 2 young DD's I've decided its about time I rolled up my sleeves and put my pinny/apron on....so.....what would you recommend I bake/destroy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now