Anyone up for a weekly GBBO challenge?

(178 Posts)
evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 13:54:57

I've been wanting to have a go at the 8 strand plaited loaf since they did it in week 2(?), but never get round to it. I wondered if anyone else has been itching to have a go at anything else - we could share triumphs and disasters smile No judges proclaiming our bottoms are too soggy or anything though.

Oooh I would love to do this but my ovens broke and Im toooo pregnant for baking at the min <sobs>

I really want to make doughnuts and the gingerbread houses.

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 14:19:32

I'd love to try doughnuts but I don't have a deep fryer. Is reaching the kitchen counter a bit of a struggle at the moment ;) I remember at about 30-odd weeks announcing to DH that it just wasn't possible for me to do the dishes any more.

Im 36 weeks and Im on housework strike grin

To his credit DP is very good. But he cannot bake. And I like cake!

kate2boysandabump Wed 10-Oct-12 14:29:10

I would love to try the plaited loaf too. I'd like to give the doughnuts a whirl too.

I'm 30 weeks, so I'd better get a move on or I won't be able to reach!!

HoneyDragon Wed 10-Oct-12 14:31:55

If we do a weekly challenge we'll all be too fat to reach the counters grin

grin Honey

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 15:35:24

Good point HoneyDragon. An occasional GBBO challenge then. Or maybe combine it with a Shred thread to combat the effects. Heavily pregnant women would be exempted smile

Would we all do the same recipe and then post pics or what?

If you start to do it I will join in in late November smile

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 15:43:51

All the recipes are [[http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b013pqnm here]. There are 56 of them, so should keep us going for a while! Posting pics would be good.

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 15:44:10

dammit here

NettoSpookerstar Wed 10-Oct-12 15:49:43

I'd like to and I have the book, but can't hand knead and my Kenwood is broken.

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 15:59:35

Oh dear, so many frustrated bakers!

midori1999 Wed 10-Oct-12 16:41:41

Yes, I'll give anything a go. Although won't be bothering if it's a gingerbread show stopper... grin

I missed it last night. Damn...

Its repeated at 11.30am on sunday on BBC 2 (I think)

evilwem Wed 10-Oct-12 18:58:17

Excellent midori. Right, shall we start with the plaited loaf this weekend?

hugoagogo Wed 10-Oct-12 21:58:21

Not sure about this weekend it's been so busy this week, I will join you for the next one though.

coffeeinbed Wed 10-Oct-12 22:02:08

Oh I'm in!

I'm in. Any excuse to bake.

Oh, I would, but too busy this weekend - I've been wanting to do the plaited loaf since I saw it, and then when I bought Mr H's book and discovered the instructions for the plaiting are all of about 25 words long ... pfft. Don't know what the fuss was all about. wink

Whitecherry Thu 11-Oct-12 12:57:11

I have bought the bread ingredients...

snozzlemaid Thu 11-Oct-12 13:42:54

I'm going to have a go. Can't wait to see how everyone does.
What a brilliant idea.

Im so jealous. I want to make bread. Though considering my near fainting after walking round sainsburies I really really cant!

Cant wait to hear how you all get on!

Yorky Thu 11-Oct-12 14:00:04

I wanna play- DH will just have to babysit/do dishes/fold laundry/run between DC activities while I knead/plait/swear! If he's good I may let him help enjoy the results!

I want to play join in !
So , plaited bread first ?
I don't know how to upload photos though , I'm on an iPad from before they had cameras .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now