Any advice on how to make a Gruffalo cake?

(18 Posts)
CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 12:40:48

I've never iced with a piping bag or used sugarpaste but I do want to make a Gruffalo cake for dd1 birthday.

Any suggestions how I can do this? I am willing to learn and practice.

mamababa Fri 05-Oct-12 12:43:40

Have you tried a search on here? I am sure someone posted a link on here only a few days ago that another mnetter had done?

simonthedog Fri 05-Oct-12 12:44:22
blackteaplease Fri 05-Oct-12 12:57:34

There is step by step Jane asher one online if you Google gruffalo cake recipe. Its a comic relief one. Haven't tried it but will do so for dd's birthday in December

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 13:00:56

Thanks for the link, I found the Jane Asher one in a Guardian article.

Seems easy enough. The only thing that looks tricky is cutting the cake in half horizonitly then cutting around the jaw.

I would need to practice it though which seems a waste of cake as I couldn't give any to the dc without giving the game away!

Vajazzler Fri 05-Oct-12 13:06:55

I did the Jane Asher one for my ds's birthday and it came out really well. I wouldnt worry about the cutting too much as you can pile on the chocolate buttercream in strategic places if necessary. I can show you a pic of how it came out if you want to see.

Pinner35 Fri 05-Oct-12 13:07:27

Here...direct from The Gruffalo website.

www.gruffalo.com/upload/gruffalo_cake_sheet1.pdf

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 13:14:59

Vajazzler I would love to see a pic!

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 13:16:43

Vajazzler where did you find the picture to cut around?

Vajazzler Fri 05-Oct-12 13:54:21

Ok here are some pictures

here
here
and here

To draw the picture to cut around i got it onto my laptop screen enlarged it until it was big enough and traced it off the screen blush

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 14:15:51

Your cake looks as good as the Jane Asher one! It's fab! Your ds must have loved it. Mine won't look like that.

Did you find anything tricky with the instructions?

How did you do the writing?

Vajazzler Fri 05-Oct-12 14:45:52

To be honest it was easier than i thought it was going to be. I was a bit panicky about the carving but in the end it all had buttercream all over it and then you have to make the buttercream look like fur so it doesnt matter if its not perfect. The instructions were really easy to follow. I made the letters out of fondant icing and these cutters. They are a bit tricky to use but you soon get the hang of it.

Some0ne Fri 05-Oct-12 15:41:05

I did the Jane Asher one too, it's really very simple. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time, don't panic, and you'll be grand. The buttercream fur is very forgiving!

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 15:47:42

Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't be able to ice it the day before would I?

dylsmimi Fri 05-Oct-12 15:56:28

A friend made the snakes log pile house out of chocolate mini rolls piled up then chocolate fingers as the roof and sides. Think it was stuck together with icing? Then there was a sugar paste snake (easy to do) or could use gruffalo toys to go outside?
Was very effective and easy when u have lots to do
Sorry if someone's linked to similar already

I came on to recommend that Jane Asher one too, it worked a treat! Buttercream hides a multitude of sins smile

CakePops Fri 05-Oct-12 16:20:01

It would need to Hippy grin

I love the log pile house, may do that just to sit on the table with a soft toy snake she could keep.

Vajazzler Fri 05-Oct-12 16:42:21

I iced the day before. I just made the buttercream a little bit moister than usual and kept it safe in a cake box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now