Help!!! Used plain rather than self-raising flour for DS's birthday cake!

(3 Posts)
mosaica Fri 05-Oct-12 08:44:00

The cake is already in the oven. The recipe tells you to use self-raising flour plus some baking powder, so there is some baking powder in the mixture plus eggs. It has risen a bit, but will it still be edible?

This is going to be a pirate ship cake, by the way, so once it's cold I'll cut it to shape, ice it and so on. This is very stressful as it's the first time I make such a thing, I had a trial run with shop-bought sponge bases and they were ok for practice but had a icky taste. My little boy won't hear about buying a cake for his birthday - so I'd rather avoid that. The party is tomorrow...

Help!

Bunbaker Fri 05-Oct-12 08:45:58

It will taste fine. If you are cutting it up and icing it no-one will know the difference. I agree that shop bought cakes taste too synthetic and have a horrible texture.

cuteable Fri 05-Oct-12 13:00:11

It will still be edible and taste the same. The only issue would be if it rises enough to get a good shape... I hope it turned out ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now