Best book for novelty cakes (complete beginner)?

(9 Posts)
Artura Tue 02-Oct-12 16:28:18

Dear bakers,
DD's 2nd birthday is looming and I feel it's time I had a go at decorating a novelty cake for her. Can manage victoria sponges etc but never done any proper cake decoration/fondant icing etc. Can anyone recommend a good book (or website) for beginners that gives nice simple step by step instructions? Who is the guru of cake decorating? Thanks x

bacon Tue 02-Oct-12 17:39:18

I've just bought a Debbie Brown book and seen a fab alien cake in there for DS1. Her books are nice and simple.

I still havent found a cake book that explains techniques and strong techniques. Lindys cakes is also good and were website is full of useful stuff.

Artura Tue 02-Oct-12 23:17:32

Thanks Bacon, that's great, I'll see if they have that one in our library so I can have a look first.

BirdyArms Wed 03-Oct-12 14:23:35

I have used Carol Deacon's books, I think No Time Party Cakes is one. Lots of ideas and have been very successful for me. I borrow them from the library every year!

TheMightyMojoceratops Wed 03-Oct-12 14:27:45

My aged M&S book has seen me right many times- on Ebay inc P&P

seeker Wed 03-Oct-12 14:28:08

Anything by Debbie Brown.

Some of her cakes look very complicated, but her instructions are so clear that if you do exactly what she says they work every time.

TheMightyMojoceratops Wed 03-Oct-12 14:28:25

Sorry, it lost the £3 and messed up the link - linky

The alternative is to make a cake using a novelty shaped tin, so some of the shaping and decorating is already done for you.

BlueSkySoftSand Wed 03-Oct-12 14:31:34

I've also used Debbie Brown so can recommend her books. They're awesome, explain the process well and as a result I have produced one very cool Pingu cake and also a frog cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now