Home baking for school cake sale - need some inspiration quick

(23 Posts)
Viviennemary Thu 27-Sep-12 19:14:58

I use the small paper cases. Never tried making it into a slab.

Viviennemary Thu 27-Sep-12 19:13:51

Easiest are rice crispie cakes if you're really lazy short of time. Rice crispies, cooking chocolate and bit of golden syrup. Don't need baking.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Thu 27-Sep-12 19:11:30

Thanks smalltown. I'll pick some up in readiness for the next time school demands asks for things.

BirdyArms Thu 27-Sep-12 18:17:28

Nigella Lawson's Rocky Road is super quick and easy to make and sells out in seconds

here's the recipe

BeaWheesht Thu 27-Sep-12 18:08:42

What kind of yogurt for the yogurt loaf and how well does it keep? Think the kids would love it

smalltown Thu 27-Sep-12 16:54:41

ICutMyFoot..

Anywhere I find food grade cellpohane bags cheaply smile

Waitrose sells Millie's kitchen

Or ebay. Poundland sometimes has some near the cupcake gift boxes.

Oil the skewer with a small amount of vegetable oil. Then spear sweets. Thick multi coloured fizzy laces look great when folded several times like this

stressedHEmum Thu 27-Sep-12 16:29:05

These are delicious and super easy.

I make those caramel crispie cakes as a traybake. Top with melted chocolate and cut into little squares, They always go down a storm.

Yoghurt loaf - use the yoghurt pot as a measure

3 pots sr flour
2 pots caster sugar
1 pot yoghurt
3/4 pot oil
3 eggs

Mix all together, pour into a greased 2lb loaf tin and bake at 160 for about an hour or until done.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Thu 27-Sep-12 16:26:43

smalltown that's a genius idea! Where do you get the bags from?

BeaWheesht Thu 27-Sep-12 16:19:40

Thanks will make lemon drizzle, crispy cakes And am going to have a shot at caramel shortbread

shrinkingnora Thu 27-Sep-12 14:07:52

Marslady's lemon drizzle cake in the MN recipes is amazingly easy and very tasty. No weighing of eggs or sieving flour or any of that malarky.

smalltown Thu 27-Sep-12 13:52:41

I put a variety of squidgy sweets on kebab skewers, & wrap in a cellophane bag.

They look beautiful, take very little time & always sell out.

Best ever krispie cake

200g toffees (waitrose dairy toffees, walkers nonsuch toffees or sainsburys savers toffees all work)
200g salted butter. Real butter not spread
200g marshmallows
most of a small box of rice krispies

Melt the toffee marshmallows and butter together gently in a massive pan over a low heat, stirring. It may look a bit like vomit at one point, do not fret.

When all melted take off the heat and stir in as many rice krispies as it will coat evenly. Then tip into trays lined with greaseproof paper or baking paper to cool. Cut into massive slabs pieces and eat. Chocolate drizzled on the top is optional - I love chocolate but prefer this without it.

My lemon drizzle ish - I make it in a 2lb loaf tin.

weigh your eggs ( I use 2 or 3 usually)
use same weight as eggs in stork from a tub, SR flour, golden caster sugar. Zest from one scrubbed lemon.

Cream the stork and sugar together, add eggs, fold in SR flour sifted plus a stingy teaspoon of baking powder and zest.

Cook in the lined 2lb tin for about 40 mins or until cooked.

While it is cooking, microwave the lemon for about 30-40 seconds then squeeze the juice into a mug. Add 2tbs of golden caster sugar to the juice and stir well.

When the cake is cooked, take out of the oven and sprinkle the lemon juice and sugar mixture over the top (I usually prick a few times with a fork to help it soak in) Remove from tin and cool on a wire rack. Eat.

Taffeta Wed 26-Sep-12 19:04:47

On phone so pita to link. Google Mary berry lemon drizzle traybake. Or mn recipes marsladys recipe infamous.

blibblibs Wed 26-Sep-12 16:29:32

Peppermint creams always go down well.

Just icing sugar and peppermint and I bag them in sandwich bags tie with a ribbon and cut the excess off.

Easy!

jkklpu Wed 26-Sep-12 16:29:15

lemon drizzle is great, and you can also do mini lemon drizzle fairy cake sized ones - just cook for less time
Nigella's HTBADG recipe is good

smoothieooo Wed 26-Sep-12 16:27:38

Shop bought plain fairy cakes, icing (with a bit of food colouring) and some sprinkles!

BeaWheesht Wed 26-Sep-12 16:25:11

Thanks for the suggestions, was thinking lemon drizzle so will def do that ! Just need to find an easy recipe!

Brownies sound doable

Rice crispy recipe would be ace

Scootergrrrl Wed 26-Sep-12 13:42:43

Best ever brownies recipe and so easy you can do it in about three minutes - mix 175g melted butter, 300g caster sugar, 100g cocoa powder, 100g SR flour, a tspn of vanilla, a bar of chunky white chocolate, chopped, and three eggs. Bake in 7-inch square tin for 20/30 minutes until set but with a slight wobble. Makes 16 small squares or 12 adult portions.

Lemon cake - I do a kind of lemon drizzle-ish type cake
Victoria sponge - always a winner
My special rice krispie cake - can repost the recipe if you want it
Ginger biscuits - I use squirdles recipe from here in Mumsnet recipes and it is fabulous. I think the ginger biscuits would keep but not so much the others.

Taffeta Wed 26-Sep-12 13:31:01

Lemon drizzle or brownies

KeithLeMonde Wed 26-Sep-12 13:30:32

Things that go down well at school bake sales:

flapjacks
cupcakes with sweeties on the top
coffee cake
lemon drizzle cake
dorset apple cake
brownies

All pretty easy smile

BeaWheesht Wed 26-Sep-12 13:28:44

Am not the best baker - have basic tools for baking. Need to be quick and easy and not loads of ingredients I won't use again. Also, ideally would keep if made over next couple of dys until Sunday.

Help please? Need to make quite a few things so lots of suggestions welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now