Baking with oats and other slow release energy things

(7 Posts)

Trying to make my baking a bit healthier. So at the moment dcs' baked treats are oaty cookies or flapjacks. Wondering about trying some ground almond recipes or other oat based things. Would love some ideas please

NoComparison Sun 23-Sep-12 14:16:23

I use oats instead of flour in crumble. Make it in exactly the same way, but an added bonus is you need about 1/3 less butter.

midori1999 Sun 23-Sep-12 15:25:04

Nigella Lawsin's recipe for cereal bars is good. It does use condensed milk, but no actual sugar and has oats, seeds, dried fruit, nuts etc. you can change the recipe to suit you, I used dried apricots and almonds instead of cranberries and hazelnuts.

Watching with interest. I always put oats and flaked almonds into crumble mix. Flapjacks with a layer of date or apricot inside them are nice but I have lost my recipe - if anybody has one, that would be brilliant.

babsmam Sun 23-Sep-12 15:38:27

Can you link to the nigella one please midori?

midori1999 Sun 23-Sep-12 15:51:09
mrsvilliers Sun 23-Sep-12 18:45:18

That novella recipe found yum! I've been experimenting with low sugar baking and adding my recipes to my blog www.toddler-recipes.co.uk. just done a batch of sugar free muffins with part oats, I'll be adding the recipe shortly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now