How Not to look too homemade

(14 Posts)
nannycook Thu 01-Nov-12 22:05:25

Thank you glasshouse.

glasshouse Thu 01-Nov-12 08:52:52

You wouldnt have known from the photo. It looks wonderful. You have more patience than I have with the modelling, I think everything I'd do would have a nod to Potato Man!

nannycook Wed 31-Oct-12 20:36:21

Yes thats annoying when you spend so much time on something, the pic i put on profile of the girl sitting on daisies, i put the cake in the mircowave when i finished it because my grandson was due down for the day, and knocked the head off, i was distraught, clean off it came and half the hair broke, i shut the door went to work ( after crying my eyes out first, i was in the middle of moving but as i promised her this cake so had to do it) then dealt with it at 12.oclock at night, never again, fairly pleased with it but it did take the shine off for me.

glasshouse Wed 31-Oct-12 09:07:35

It was actually easy enough, but I'm not used to doing such big cakes (12" ooh err missus!) and the manipulation of the layers was a bit scarey. Didnt get the ganache as smooth as I would have liked but then I dont do it enough to get the practice. The transfers were easier than I thought they would be and will use them again when I get the occassion.

nannycook Tue 30-Oct-12 21:18:14

Glasshouse, i'm impressed! doesn't look easy though.

glasshouse Tue 30-Oct-12 09:00:34

As promised, picture of the cake on my profile. The transfers worked well, but managed to break the bow on top before I got to the party!

glasshouse Mon 17-Sep-12 11:13:50

That video looks great. I'll have to have a practise. If it all turns out ok I'll put a picture up!

Thanks for all your help.

I get loads of tips from youtube, I love doing cakes!

nannycook Fri 14-Sep-12 20:24:49

slimjim, thats a good video, she makes it look so easy.

Chocolate transfer sheets really aren't that hard to use video here you just have to be careful not to let the chocolate over-set before wrapping it onto the cake!! Good luck

Midori, I love your work, especially the choc one with the roses

glasshouse Fri 14-Sep-12 15:57:21

Oh wow Midori, that looks excellent. Your other cakes are way out of my league though.

midori1999 Fri 14-Sep-12 13:59:02

I haven't used the chocolate transfers, but chocolate cigarellos are really easy to use, although quite expensive. I've just put a picture of a single tier white chocolate cigarello cake I made when I first started making cakes so you can see. You just coat the cake in ganache and stick them on, very easy but looks effective.

NCForNow Fri 14-Sep-12 10:11:33

I don't know but oooh! they look GOOD! Am here just to listen to the people who know! grin

glasshouse Fri 14-Sep-12 09:03:13

I've been asked to make a birthday cake for a friend (a birthday ending in 0!). I'm used to making childrens cakes but would really like to make this one look less amateurish. I have been inspired to use those chocolate transfer sheets I saw on the Great British Bakeoff but am not sure how easy they are. What are your tips that are simple but look good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now