Cream cheese icing too runny - can I save it?

(14 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sun 26-Aug-12 17:02:12

I used full fat, added some butter, lemon juice - maybe too much?- and some icing sugar.

So, it's too runny. What can I do to thicken it?

Caerlaverock Sun 26-Aug-12 17:04:05

More icing sugar

Chuck in more icing sugar

skirmish Sun 26-Aug-12 17:04:52

I'd add more icing sugar- bit by bit (going on the theory it works for glacé and buttercream icing)

tanfastic Sun 26-Aug-12 17:05:24

Definitely more icing sugar.

LynetteScavo Sun 26-Aug-12 17:07:44

Really, it's already very sweet. Not more butter.

Will try later this evening (it's in the fridge for now) and report back.

Catsmamma Sun 26-Aug-12 17:09:20

more icing sugar and into the fridge with it.

Was this Philly or another brand? I will only ever buy philly cos all other cream cheeses are inferior! ...and do this runny single cream thing when you try to use them for icing.

if it is Philly then the fridge and icing sugar should save it, if it is not then don't bother.

oh or make a small quantity of butter cream and add the runny mess to that. ....look up cream cheese frosting recipes to give you an idea of quantities.

LynetteScavo Sun 26-Aug-12 17:17:20

It's Aldi - tried the fridge already, and that didn't help.

Sainbury's own has worked in the past, I think. hmm

Will stick to Philly in the future, just to be sure.

valiumredhead Sun 26-Aug-12 18:53:58

Just keep adding more icing sugar until it is right.

wildfig Thu 30-Aug-12 14:15:22

Er, I'll go against the tide here and say don't add more sugar - the molecular structure of the sugar melts when it comes into contact with the water in the cream cheese so you just end up with runnier and runnier icing, especially if you use a lower fat cream cheese with a higher water content. (And God knows I spent years trying to do just that until someone pointed this out to me.)

the only way I've made cream cheese icing successfully is to make normal buttercream, beaten very light, and then barely stirred in a pack of full-fat Philly, stopping before it has time to break down. I think professional bakers probably use some kind of stabilising agent?

smiki Sat 25-May-13 15:06:13

Completely agree with wildfig, her technique is the only one that works for me.
Made the mistake of using Tesco cream cheese today though, and ended up with cream cheese sauce angry
Wildfig got me thinking... what could I use as a stabiliser? Answer: cornflour. I sprinkled on a couple of teaspoons, gave it a really good whisk, and it worked grin

GoblinGranny Sat 25-May-13 15:08:04

Cornflour? I tend to add a spoonful if things are going gloopy.

UntamedShrew Sun 26-May-13 14:33:11

This exact thing happened to me yesterday too -and it was with Philadelphia. I'll try making it with butter team first then folding in the cream cheese, good idea.

I put my cake back I the tin, poured over the icing and shoved the whole thing into the fridge. 24 hours later it looks like we might have pudding today!

The Hummingbird bakery book that I have says it will go runny if overbeaten. Could this be the problem? It doesn't have a solution though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now