any one got the cake pop machine from lakeland?

(100 Posts)
MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 17:20:07

this one?

I'm not a fan of cake pops but I get asked to make them loads.

they take ages to make and I think they are too sickly sweet.

the reviews are amazing but I've never used a kitchen gadget that actually worked before.

it's only £20 but I don't want to buy another bit of crap just to stick it in the cupboard and never use it again.

I haven't purchased one yet as i think like you op, another piece of tat to throw to the back of the cupboard.
My kids love cakepops but tbh i find them a pita to make so don't make them to often, but they are worth making when you do have the time.
Depends on how much you make them whether you should buy it, i think its the latest 'craze' that won't last

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 17:37:19

the dc ask for them for school events and a few people have asked for them rather than normal cakes.

I make cakes occasionally for friends and people at work.

I think I may just have a go at it. £20 isn't a massive amount to lose.

Yes, it's absolutely brilliant, I love it. I'm shite at decorating them but the little round balls of cake themselves are mmmm and perfect! I didn't like the idea of mushing crumbled cake in with icing to make the balls as I hate icing so these suit me much better.

Incidentally I use it quite a bit as I find it less stressful to let a group of kids loose with some melted chocolate and sprinkles than traditional cake decorating gear. And they're small enough that if they scoff the lot they don't make themselves sick grin

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 17:47:34

well, thats decided. If its crap I blame you gwendoline grin

do you put then on the sticks? looking at a similar machine on youtube the cakes look too moist to stay on sticks.

I may have to quickly run into lakelands and pick it up now <impatient>

You're supposed to dip the tip of the sticks in the chocolate, then poke the balls on and let it set...if you have the patience. If you don't wait they do sometimes wobble off the sticks.

I can also confirm that the plain cake balls are very nice with a bit of melted Galaxy, a mug of tea and a good dvd

nickiminja Sat 30-Jun-12 18:03:41

I want one now grinHow do you display them on a cake stall? In a foil covered potato, jug or something different?

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 18:07:04

I use a colander covered in paper but I know people use polystyrene or sometimes florists oasis.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 18:08:15

do I go in and get it now or wait until the morning? I live a ten minute walk away from the shop and its open until 8pm.

MirandaWest Sat 30-Jun-12 18:09:04

Go and get one now smile

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 18:10:30

good call miranda

Are you still here? Go!

OddBoots Sat 30-Jun-12 18:26:37

Ooh, that looks good!

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 18:33:30

I'm still here.

I shouldn't admit this but I actually forgot to feed my dc. blush blush

I blame 50 shades of mumsnet.

I' ll go in the morning now. I need to do a raid of the pound shop too and that shuts at 5.30pm.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 18:34:42

and don't worry I have remembered to feed them now!

grin at op , im sure they'd be happy with cake pops for tea made in your new gadget.
Im going to get one now, it does sound sooo easy smile

wildfig Sat 30-Jun-12 19:50:03

So you don't need to clag the cake crumbs together with icing inside the cake pop? It's just cake? I reckon that makes it a low-calorie cake-pop option, and therefore virtually a health food.

Pure, unadulterated, spherical cakesmile

MikeLitoris Argentina Sat 30-Jun-12 20:01:39

I've reserved one just in case I have now caused a mad rush to lakelands.

nickiminja Sat 30-Jun-12 20:11:06

grin

MikeLitoris Argentina Sun 01-Jul-12 12:10:17

I have my new toy home safe and sound.

Going to feed the dc so i dont forget again then im having a go.

Any tips gwen?

trixymalixy Sun 01-Jul-12 12:14:00

I'm interested to see what you think of it.

MikeLitoris Argentina Sun 01-Jul-12 12:41:48

shock it bloody well works!

Didnt even have to grease it.

Ill take some pics when they all done. Just hope they stay on the sticks. Fingers crossed.

grin

Out and about so can't stop, strangely just felt the need to check in and see if you got it! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now