Sugarcraft chat

(633 Posts)
wem Tue 24-Apr-12 19:34:19

I started a thread for cake people a while back but it got a bit lost in Chat so thought I'd try to tempt people into our lovely new baking topic.

Hopefully I'll see some of the posters from the chat thread, but for any new people popping in, introductions: I'm wem, I'm a recent cake obsessive and have been bothering mumsnetters about it a fair bit as I'm starting up cake decorating business. I don't have anywhere near the experience or knowledge of some of the posters in here, but I do have an excessive willingness to chat about cake smile

Let's try this again, eh?

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 17:57:01

Oooh. I do a bit of baking- but its (up to now) been just 'cake' with/without icing.

Am interested in getting into decorating next.

My DS is 5 in a couple of weeks and I want to make 2 cakes- I'm trying to work out how to make a monster themed cake (not buttercream- got to be divvied up and wrapped for party bags)- going to try and going to copy this for my sealife cake.

Monster ideas anyone?

wem Wed 25-Apr-12 18:48:42

SheepsEyes I love this one. No idea how she's done all that hair but it might be mentioned in the comments.

wem Wed 25-Apr-12 18:54:27

Oh I've just looked and it's buttercream. There are loads more if you google monster cake though smile

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 20:08:02

Yes, I found that one too wem! Have been googling like mad but nothing that makes me want to make it yet!

Love the cake pop eyes but I think you need a special baking thing for them, and I must not spend money!

Sheeps - eyes can be made like that with orange, white and black fondant icing. this is one of my favourite monser cakes!

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 20:42:01

blueberry- that is PERFECT. THANK YOU!

Am going to attempt it next week, and will post pics! Thanks again!

wem Wed 25-Apr-12 20:51:35

I almost linked to that one before I found the orange furry one smile

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 20:56:37

I love the orange furry one too- but imagine the sticky mess when they shove it into napkins...eww...

I have never done this before- how do I make a semi-sphere/half-globe (unsure of correct cake terminology> shape?

Sheep - you can make it in a pudding bowl or a stainless steel mixing bowl like this, which is what I do (I got mine from the local pound shop). It makes a rounder cake then you can shape to top round with buttercream (which you need to stick the fondant on with)

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 21:04:13

Ha! Pound shop tomorrow then. Great. Did you slice and fill it with jam or just leave it plain? And will Vict sponge be ok, or do I need to consider Madeira? (never made that yet).

stealthsquiggle Wed 25-Apr-12 21:07:29

Sheepseyes I can't do links on my phone but I have done a monster cake - will post link later.

I would make a victoria sponge and add 2 extra oz of plain flour, bake it on a low temp (150 deg) for a longer time which will give a flatter top so you don't waste too much trimming it flat to lie on your board. Kids normally only eat the icing so I would leave it whole, if you ant to make it a bit more moist then you can brush the whole cake with a sugar syrup (100ml water to 100g caster sugar, boil for 5 mins then let cool) a couple of times before you buttercream and fondant it. Once you have the butter cream on if you freeze the cake for an hour then fondant ice it you won't lose the shape by squishing it when rubbing the fondant on.

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 21:15:51

You star, blueberry. Right. Going to make trial cake like that at weekend and see how it goes.

Also I need to get ready rolled green stuff. Already have green edible glitter so my monster can be sparkly!

Lucdkily we have a great sugarcraft shop at our local high street. stealth- that would be great- thank you! Am really looking forward to making the cakes...

ettiketti Wed 25-Apr-12 21:18:43

Can I timidly join please? I've been asked to make a close relatives chocolate wedding cake. I've a few ideas, she has given me free rein other than it has to be chocolate. I'll need LOTS of help and its not even til October so feel free to tell me to butt out grin

wem Wed 25-Apr-12 21:25:36

Hi ettiketti, I've been wittering on about a wedding cake I'm doing in August since about February smile

What sort of thing were you thinking? I've done one chocolate wedding-y cake, on my profile. It's from a book I love, but it's fairly understated, so it depends on what you think your relative will like?

Welcome Etti smile I hope you find a whole heap of knowledge here.

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 21:27:19

Hello Etti- are you doing Mary Berrys one? shock I would quite frankly be terrified of making a wedding cake- the pressure! I hope you think of a plan!

ettiketti Wed 25-Apr-12 21:34:07

Thanks for lovely welcome! I deliberated over whether or not to do it for weeks as ive just started a new full time job but.....

I'm contemplating Mary Berry's but I think I'm going to do a few testers, no shortage of willing tasters!!

I'm hoping to steer away from brown and cover in a vintagey pale green? Guessing a crumb coat then second coat of buttercream will enable me to do that....going for a vintage theme, have ordered a cheap pearl cutter from eBay to play with, but really want some brooches too as she's having some in her bouquet and table decorations..I'd love a teacup on top, as these are part of the table theme too but that may be beyond me..... any form of bride and groom are banned, much to my DSs disappointment!

Off to check out your profile now wem smile

ettiketti Wed 25-Apr-12 21:36:11

grin wem!!!! I'm gobsmacked, you are so talented!! I'm going to hide in a hole and pretend you never saw me grin

wem Wed 25-Apr-12 21:44:25

Ha! grin that's the last thing I want! But thank you for the sentiment, I think? smile

The green sounds lovely, and the brooches and pearls. Very classy. smile

Etti - I love the sounds of the colour scheme you are going for. I always do 2 layers of fondant on my wedding cakes if the bride doesn't want marzipan ( yes I even offer marzipan on sponge cakes). I makes a huge difference to the finish and if you use vanilla buttercream it will should cover any chocolateyness showing through. If you are going for brooches look in haberdashery shops cake shops seem to add a huge mark up on them. As for the cup and saucer I will up load a pic of one I made for cake (totally on the spur of the moment having never done it before)- using gumpaste and a dariole mould to make the cup shape and one of DD's plastic tea set plates to for the saucer! My attempts have improved hugely since then so you can make a few and see how you feel.

stealthsquiggle Wed 25-Apr-12 22:09:34

monster cake, and mini monsters

Wem (and others) - I wanted to show you this one as well - thanks for the input grin

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 22:12:02

Woo- stealth- I'm gobsmacked. Thats fab. I'm amazed how many talented people there are on here!

How did you make the antennae (sp)?

SheepsEyes Wed 25-Apr-12 22:13:14

Oh wow, I love the sewing basket too! I want that! I can just imagine the catastrophe if DP tried to make it...grin

Stealth - I just peeked through your piccies and you have pictures of the cheetahs just down the road from where I am from - made me all sad and homesick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now