VikingVagine Fri 24-Feb-12 15:43:45

Carrying on from Chat.

ViviPru Fri 24-Feb-12 15:47:02

<first time I've ever been able to say>

Ooh! Shiny New Thread!

<always wanted to say that>

VikingVagine Fri 24-Feb-12 15:47:24

Copied and pasted from previous thread:

Right, my name is Owlelf and I have a Prospero addiction! I have scanned the thread and cut and pasted ket bits on information on using the Pospero. Its copied and pasted below. Apologies it it is a bit hard to read- my formatting hasn't copied into mumsnet properly.

I am both proud and ashamed that I have taken the time to do this!! Hope it is useful to someone!!

On Mixer attachments:
The K beater is for cake mix & batters etc, and the hooky one is the dough hook for bread and pizza bases etc. The fewer ingredients used, I find the more sticks to the side of the bowl. If Im making dough and its sticking, I tend to sprinkle a bit of flour around the sides as its kneading. The silicone spatula is Prospero's best friend...

K-betater for pancakes, tbh I'd only use the balloon whisk for fluffy stuff, the k-beater is a brilliant thing

On Pancakes:
Put bowl on scales
Add all pancake ingredients bar milk
Clunk click
brrrrrrrrr lob in milk rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrr put oil in pan rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
brrrrrrrrrrrrr fetch pancake plate rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
off
unclunk click
make pancakes
No standing and whisking required

On Grating and Slicing;
I grated the carrots for my carrot cake on Friday and DP did sliced potatoes for his dauphinoise the other day. No bother. You do all that stuff in the food processor attachment.

On adapting a recipe for use in a mixer / processor :
I tend to follow the recipe to an extent, but when it says to mix all of the fats, sugars, flours and eggs together, I tend to ignore that and revert to how MummyPru taught me, that being to always cream the fat & sugar first, then add the flour & eggs a bit at a time.

On bread quantity:
I think the limit is half a kilo. certainly i made pizza dough the other day with 300g flour and the prospero didn't budge.

I usually use 500g of flour and it's fine, when I use 750g I have to stay very close!

yes, but the limit on the prospero is 500g. sez so in the destructions.

On whether kneading of bread is required:
Nah I just dough-hook the life out of it for 5 minutes then done.... Others may disagree though
Bread Recipe (Mrs Chemist):
500g strong white bread flour
300ml tepid water
1 1/2 tsp of salt
a sachet of dried yeast (10g)

Add the yeast to the water and stir*. Then sieve the flour and the salt.

Add the water to the flour and mix until a rough ball of dough, then knead in a mixer for five minutes (or by hand for the rest of time 10 minutes).

Put in an oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm (or a teatowel).

Leave until it's double in size (about 45 minutes-1hr).

Knock it back (i.e. punch the crap out of it) and then put in a greased and floured loaf tin, or shape into whatever shape you want. cover and leave to rise again for maybe 20 minutes or so.

Put in a preheated oven (200C ish) for about 40 minutes. You know it's ready when you tap the bottom of it, and it's hollow.

* On initial mixing : I'd be tempted to mix on slow with the k beater, then switch to the dough hooks for kneading. Although someone with more experience may come along and say there's no need for the K beater.

* Also on initial mixing : I just do a little silicone spatula stir in the bowl, then straight to dough hook. Might not be the best technique though, never tried anything else...

On whether to remove a ball of dough off the breadhook or leave it clinging on!!:
I let mine cling to the hook in a ball round the bowl mainly, perhaps pulling it off and chucking it back in the base of the bowl once during the knead... dunno if that's right though!

On resting bread dough:
- Clingfilm the bowl and put it in a warmish place.

- Anyone tried the Baker Brothers shower-cap trick yet?

- Warmth just speeds stuff up a bit. I put ours on top of the cooker hood and switch the lights on.

- I have left a pizza base next to a preheating oven on the step stool before but it had done its main rise in the airing cupboard (couldn't fit the tin in without getting oil on the sheets!).

- Place the bowl on a chair next to a radiator.

- For those who want a warm place to allow dough to rise - I cover the bowl of dough with large tea towel or clingfilm and put into the recently switched off but still warm tumble dryer, preferably with a warm towel or two to cushion the bowl. Do not attempt this if anyway ditzy and inclined to switch on dryer with bowl of dough still inside.

- If I am using the slowcooker, I sometimes take the lid off and replace with a baking tray and sit my dough bowl on top of that.

Bread Recipe (Wombonthebroom)
I use the same ingredients as Mrs Chemist but am particularly lazy... Using just the dough hook:

Put all dry ingredients in bowl (including yeast)
Put on min speed mix together for 30 secs
Slowly pour in water on min speed
Once it's a ball of dough, turn speed to '1' and let it work for about 4 mins (I do one or two scrape downs of the dough hook in that time to make it feel like I'm actually cooking rather than just having a cup of tea )
Cling film over top of bowl... rest of recipe as per Mrs Chemist

Oh, and I add two tablespoons of olive oil to the same mix for pizza bases.
Making a grant loaf: I have a "grant loaf", hopefully, rising at the moment, I used the K beater to rub in the butter and then swapped to the dough hook to knead the dough.

On Mashed Potato:
Re:mashed spuds. I just chucked mine in the bowl and set it going with the K beater, adding milk as it went. Result - awesome smooth mash. No effort. DH laughed at me!

Had my first less than satisfactory result tonight with mashed potato. I had to mix it till it was more like puree than mash and it still had little lumps in, don't think I'm going to be getting rid of my potato ricer yet, can't beat it for light fluffy mash..

On pastry:
I've just made pastry for an apple pie in mine, so much easier than rubbing in by hand.

I use the k-beater in the stand mixer to rub butter into flour- presume pastry would just be the same? It does an amazing job so light and fluffy! Nae sweaty hands involved either, Altho dd1 is disappointed as she used to like doing twiddly fingers or whatever Katie Cook calls it!

I use the k-beater in the stand mixer to rub butter into flour- presume pastry would just be the same? It does an amazing job so light and fluffy! Nae sweaty hands involved either, Altho dd1 is disappointed as she used to like doing twiddly fingers or whatever Katie Cook calls it!

Pastry Recipie (Mrs Chemist):
Short crust pastry (from the kenwood book)
175g plain flour
Pinch of salt
85g butter or marg, cut into small pieces
2-3 tbsp cold water

Mix flour, salt and butter on speed 2 with the K beater until it's got a breadcrumb texture.

Sprinkle water, a spoon at a time, while still mixing, until it forms a dough.

Turn out, form into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and then chill for half an hour.

Pastry Recipie (Honeydragon):
250g plain flour sifted
pinch salt
125g cut butter/marg
2 - 3 tbs

which makes 250g of Shortcrust - do same as MrsChemist but chill for 15 minutes.

I use Suet in my Pastry for Meat & Gravy Pies as it make nice and Crispy (do Delias)

and for sweet shortcrust(makes 175g) I do

175g plain flour sifted
75g Butter,chopped
25g Caster Sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbs iced water

Flour, butter, sugar in bowl. Mix on slow till resembles bread crumbs. Add yolk and water, mix on slow just long enough to bind mix, knead till smooth. Chill 15 minutes.

On Chopping:
Also a tip when uses the food processor blades, allow them to reach full speed before putting the food in, took me a few goes to work out why mine didn't slice well at all!

For soup I just used the processor to literally chop and prep all my veg, then bunged it in the pot with stock, then I used my Kenwood hand blender to mix it(I got this free as a MN product test many many moons ago.

Problems & Troubleshooting:
The mix does often get stuck to the sides of the bowl, as someone said before, and you do ALWAYS need to put the lid on the bowl or it goes everywhere (smaller capacity I guess).

You might be over beating your cakes, easy to do in a mixer

hot soup in a plastic blender would pop the top off

I did wonder about the propensity for the plastic at the bottom of the bowl to retain water. We'll all just have to make sure we don't leave our bowls in the sink...

My bowl (KM260 locks clockwise which is what I would expect BTW) collects a bit of water in the white bit when its in the DW, why can't they design this out of things?

I had a few kitchen things <precise> that had the fill-with-water issue, I just (carefully) drilled evacuation holes in them, I'll do the same with Woody if needs be.

On Curry Paste:
My DP made curry paste in the liquidiser TCP - chucked in shallots first, and then added seeds & spices and a bit of lime and rapeseed oil. Worked a treat.

On the splashguard:
I must admit I only used the splash guard once and then decided not to bother. Have had a couple of mishaps but nothing too awful - think I have now learnt to start mixing slowly! (disclaimer, Owlelf will not be held responsible for any splashguardless mess).

HuevosRancheros Fri 24-Feb-12 16:14:58

Fab smile

Am cutting-and-pasting and saving all this in anticipation of Prospero Delivery on Tuesday!

HalleLouja Fri 24-Feb-12 16:15:31

marking place

owlelf Fri 24-Feb-12 16:17:22

ooh how exciting. I love the name. Hope everyone finds us.

I'm in. Back later.

Somersaults Fri 24-Feb-12 16:33:25

Ooooh good idea pasting that on the first page VV!

MrsChemist Fri 24-Feb-12 16:52:34

Marking spot <busy eating cake>

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 24-Feb-12 16:55:41

Yoohoo, just noticed the shiny new thread. Not as shiny as the collective gleam from all these appliances, particularly hazels titanium.

Will be back later, might dig out ol' Eddie to make a stir fry for tea.......

HuevosRancheros Fri 24-Feb-12 16:56:38

I am now having feelings of mild panic at impulse-buying this, with money I don't even have yet.... these feelings will no doubt reappear in the small hours when I am up with DS

Must plan to make loads of amazing stuff next week to justify purchase.

Already planning on meringues and shortcrust pastry, neither of which I've made before

HuevosRancheros Fri 24-Feb-12 16:57:53

Haven't read entire thread it's too damn massive - have you named your Prospero after the beautiful Mr Vedder?

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 24-Feb-12 16:59:57

huevos, I was overcome with the urge to make meringues too.......I have never, ever made one in my life. eaten plenty though

Allow the panic and buy with Amazons one click <rhyming, poetic suggestion>, come join us.........<mystic sound effects>

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 24-Feb-12 17:00:42

Oh and yes, its named after the lovely Mr Vedder, as is my MN nickname, obviously. <swoon>

MrsChemist Fri 24-Feb-12 17:03:44

Another one here who was considering meringues. I've also never made one and I don't even particularly like to eat them either.

I think Geoff is paying his way just making bread and cakes.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 24-Feb-12 17:07:55

mrschemist grin another random meringue-maker....its just the urge to use the whisk attachment for me.

The bread that Eddie produces is divine <oh how I wish it was the real Eddie, arf>, so light and delicious <torn between swoons over Mr Vedder, or bread>

HuevosRancheros Fri 24-Feb-12 17:14:37

Swoon at Eddie, of course, he is divine smile

I am making a meringue thing for a dinner party next weekend - my mil's recipe, it's lovely, basically 2 meringues (how hard can it be?!), sandwiched together with a mixture of whipped double cream and lemon curd. Then frozen, and partially defrosted for serving. So yum and, apparently, so easy.

EddieVeddersfoxymop Fri 24-Feb-12 17:19:30

Huevos.......Eddie it is. Been a huge fan since Pearl Jam started, way back when I was sooo much younger. Going to see them in Manchester in June, can't wait! Flights, hotel all booked, trip away with my DH and no DD!!! <dirty weekend emoticon>

That meringue thingy sounds yum. I really do have an urge to make meringue, but no idea what to do with them once they're made except inhale the lot particularly if they're chewy

Upsy1981 Fri 24-Feb-12 17:21:33

I found you! Haven't had chance to put him to work yet but DH is away this weekend so DD and I have a baking session planned for tomorrow. I think I'm going to start with banana loaf. Will let you know how it goes!

I'd love to try meringues but am spectacularly bad at separating eggs, I always manage to get a bit of yolk in the white. The whisk did a very good job on the pancake batter the other night.

TunipTheVegemal Fri 24-Feb-12 18:03:51

Wood Pussies is a hilarious name, I love the way it sounds like it's going to be all inappropriate.

Meringues are easy, honestly.

HuevosRancheros - it's really worth making your own shortcrust, it's super-easy once you have confidence. One part fat to two parts flour and a splash of water to hold it together - that's really all it is so it's one of those things you can throw together without a recipe once you've grasped the techniques.

owlelf Fri 24-Feb-12 18:06:40

upsy I am planning to make a banana loaf tomorrow too. Best of luck to us both.

VikingVagine Fri 24-Feb-12 18:22:14

Well I tried out the processor this evening to make stuffing, worked fine but i found the centre bit very shakey, not sure if that's normal or not!

I have no trouble making meringues, it's the cooking part I always seem to get wrong; they're either uncooked or brown.

TheCunningStunt Fri 24-Feb-12 18:39:45

Ooh hello.....like how the naming thread idea evolved....I only left for a few hours. Such is the world of Kenwood. I love the name grin

Honeydragon Fri 24-Feb-12 18:45:30

DH came home with cakes bought from a shop shock <betrayed>

I think he is envy of the devotion I get from the children as a result of my speeding baking ability, since <insert name here> Prospero arrived.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now