Taylor for girls & boys

(50 Posts)
NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 12:30:29

We've decided to call baby no2 Taylor if it is a boy (my Grandad's surname, he would have been so pleased). What do you think of Taylor as a girl's name? I have heard of it before, but am looking for opinions

rubyslippers Fri 04-Jun-10 12:39:56

I think it is more of a boy's name but have heard girls called it

Prefer Talia for a girl TBH

candyflossbaby Fri 04-Jun-10 12:43:15

Its ok, but my best friend at school was put in the boys pe group throughout secondary school, by accident, as the teachers thought she was a boy when they had the register, and it was really annoying for her.

aspiegal Fri 04-Jun-10 12:45:39

It's good! There are more Americn girls called Taylor than British girls so you wouldn't meet lots of other Taylor's out and about. I always see taylor as a girls name tbh. Go for it!! smile

lidofabiro Fri 04-Jun-10 13:14:14

I do think of it as a boys' name first, although I've heard of it spelled Tayla for a girl.

A few ideas for similar names

Talia
Tanya
Taryn
Tara
Tatiana
Tamsin
Tamara
Tanya

Very American. I've always liked it, but I am american and like names like Tyler and Madison.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 04-Jun-10 13:47:22

My niece is called Taylor and it suits her - never had any problems at school orwith people thinking it's a boy's name, afaik.

usualfsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 13:52:50

I know a couple of girls called Taylor

Effjay Fri 04-Jun-10 13:57:56

My immediate reaction to this is that it is a bit of a chav name. Sorry, wouldn't choose it.

florence2511 Fri 04-Jun-10 13:59:51

I agree Effjay.

Why call a daughter Taylor when there are far prettier names out there that don't sound masculine and aren't SURNAMES.

usualfsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 14:09:58

Was waiting for the inevitable chav comment [rolls eyes]

cat64 Fri 04-Jun-10 14:19:23

Message withdrawn

lamplighter Fri 04-Jun-10 14:22:41

I think it is possibly one of those names that will date easily - like Sharon, Debbie, Mandy etc. It is very 'now'.

Sorry. blush

usualsuspect Fri 04-Jun-10 14:23:47

One of the Taylors I know is 17 ..so its been around a while

It's a bit ugly for a girl.

NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 14:32:45

Thanks all for responses. The reason we have chosen Taylor, and will definitely use it as a boys name is as I said for my Grandad. I was his carer for 13years along with my Mum, and obviously he meant a lot (and there are no Taylors (surname) left). Dh and I both think it's a fab tribute to a great Yorkshire fella, and a nice name in it's own right but am still not decided (convinced?) on it as a girl's name, although DH likes it.
The general consensus seems to be a no as a feminine name which is why I posted - to get "outside" views so thanks for that. Maybe back to the drawing board on that one.

Besides, God forbid I "make" my child a chav! grin

lidofabiro Fri 04-Jun-10 15:05:34

Apparently the girls' name Taylin is a variant of Taylor/Tayla.

mathanxiety Fri 04-Jun-10 15:06:32

The only ones I know are girls, and tbh, I think there are far nicer names out there. If I were going to use it for a girl and for the reason you have, I would use it as a middle name or even a third name.

NickiSue Fri 04-Jun-10 16:16:05

The more I consider it the less I like it as a girl's name actually. A boy yes, and I do know a few, although not local, Taylor boys (and love the name in it's own right) - the alternative girl names are more girlie smile

SmaugTheDragon Thu 19-Jul-12 23:26:03

Had to comment as my daughter is called Taylor. She is 11. I got the name from an American film years ago, I just liked it when I heard it (the film is parenthood if anyone is interested). When I was pregnant I mentioned it to my husband and he loved it (we both preferred it for a girl, she would not have been Taylor if she'd been a boy). Main reason I wanted to comment is that I resent anyone saying it's chavvy (bleugh). We are most certainly not chavs! I'm pretty sure the word chav didn't exist to describe a certain kind of person when our daughter was born (I hadn't heard of it anyway). To me it is an American name derived from an English occupation. Though oddly I do think Tayla is not particularly nice, surely it's obvious to anyone that the pronounciation is different?

CODwidow Thu 19-Jul-12 23:33:56

My son is called Taylor and he's 8 now and we also are not 'chavs'

CaringMum28 Fri 20-Jul-12 00:00:31

I'd a avoid, I work in social work& half the boys are Taylor, tyler, Ty some Chav derivative or girls are Taylor-Leigh, Taylor-may (really!) sad

CaringMum28 Fri 20-Jul-12 00:01:08

Why don't you use your grandad's first. And for a boy or the female version?

iheartmycat Fri 20-Jul-12 00:24:04

It's an old family name in my family too, and often been used as a middle name for both boys and girls in the family for that reason. One cousin recently used it as a first name for her daughter. I actually really like it, I think it's quite a strong name, totally recognisable as being for boys or girls, and as it has meaning for you, I'd definately go for it smile

I have a boy Taylor (3) and I know a girl Taylor (14) so it's been around for a while.

I'm not a chav, and the girl Taylor's parents are most definitely not chavs. However, I think that spelling it Tayla is chavvy

This is why I'm not the god of baby names tho <shrug>

Lannie33 Fri 20-Jul-12 02:00:07

I'm Canadian and know a few girls called Taylor (most are teens/early twenties). Here it is definitely more of a girl's name than boy's name. So I don't think of it as "unfeminine" at all.
Here, it was in the top 25 list about 10 years ago and nowadays less popular. In North America it is for sure a trendy/soap opera name that will date.
You prob don't care about north america tho! smile
I think it's a beautiful idea to honour your family in such a meaningful way smile

sashh Fri 20-Jul-12 03:52:40

I realise that many people do not change their name when they marry, and that the number who do is declining..............but......... What if she does get married, and her dh has Taylor as a surname?

Personally I think of it as a surname, or possibly a middle name.

nooka Fri 20-Jul-12 06:14:00

I don't like surnames as first names, although where I live now it's very common, particularly for some reason those associated with old fashioned occupations (I know a Cooper, Tanner and a Mason as well as Taylors of both sexes).

dd has posters of both Taylor Swift (the singer - female) and Taylor Lautner (the actor - male) on her walls - slightly weirdly they were dating for a while.

RustyBear Fri 20-Jul-12 06:32:21

Sashh - what if she names her daughter Carol and she marries someone with the surname Carroll? That's what happened to a friend of mine....

CheerfulYank Fri 20-Jul-12 06:38:14

Most Taylors I know are girls, though I do know a few boys named this as well. (Am American smile )

herecomesthsun Fri 20-Jul-12 06:55:41

I have heard that the American custom of using surnames as middle names for girls is actually an upper-middle-class American habit. The older families would do this to keep old names from the mother's side in the family, that might have hailed from very early days of colonization. So not at all chavvy in origin.

However, I would be tempted by the middle name option for a girl (depending on what your surname is, of course). I can imagine that might sound retty good.

CheerfulYank Fri 20-Jul-12 06:57:23

That's true Sun smile It is a bit chavvy now to use names that have no relation to you (all the Madisons, Kennedys, etc) but in this case it's fine as it is the OPs relative's name.

seeker Fri 20-Jul-12 07:01:39

There are 4 Taylors in ds 's year at school- 2 girls and 2 boys, all different spellings. And several others in other years. If that matters to you.

exoticfruits Fri 20-Jul-12 07:10:06

I don't like surnames as first names - my surname is used as one and it always sounds weird to me.

Stellan Fri 20-Jul-12 08:27:18

From this thread I've learnt that if you choose the name Taylor, you ought to give your child an unambiguous middle name to make their sex clear (unless, of course, you intend on being like those parents who chose not to reveal the sex of their baby to anyone).

shimmy0 Fri 20-Jul-12 09:21:28

Are you naming the baby Taylor to please your dearly departed grandfather? Is your other half's family members not just as important?

All sorts of issues go unspoken in a family when a child is named after someone. Like "I'm family too and I thought we were close so why didnt they pick my name?" etc etc.
From my own point of view I was named after someone and I always wanted my own identity. As a result my child will have their grandparents names as middle names and they will get their own first name.

For what it's worth Taylor isn't a bad name, I like it. But children should be important enough to get their own first name I think.

Avalicious1980 Fri 20-Jul-12 09:26:58

A few years ago I would have said Chav name but I 've changed my mind now. I teach a lovely girl named Taylor. Really suits her and I think it's quite unusual in the UK. I actually like it now!

bruffin England Fri 20-Jul-12 09:35:34

This thread is over 2 half years old and I think the baby would have been named by now grin

shimmy0 Fri 20-Jul-12 09:49:15

Ha ha whoops all I saw was all the Friday 20th of June replies. Why do posters keep bumping up old posts?

juliewoojulie Sat 21-Jul-12 19:56:59

i would use it for either, if you really like it, its nice x

Puremince Sat 21-Jul-12 20:54:20

All our DCs have a family surname as a middle name - DS1 has Taylor. We are the antithesis of chav!

sunflowerseeds Sat 21-Jul-12 21:40:20

I wonder why some occupations are used as first names (like Taylor) and others not (like Miller, Smith or Thatcher) How about Mr and Mrs Smith naming their child Smith Smith?

seeker Sat 21-Jul-12 21:58:19

"And this is our eldest, Pimp. Our daughter, Banker, and not forgetting the baby, Editor"

sashh Mon 23-Jul-12 05:25:58

RustyBear

Does your friend use her husband's name?

I hadn't thought of girls names being surnames.

RustyBear Mon 23-Jul-12 07:26:09

Yes, she does. I would have kept my maiden name myself, but it doesn't seem to bother her!

PeshwariNaan Mon 23-Jul-12 12:23:29

Taylor as a girl's name is extremely popular in the US. I don't particularly like it, but if it's a family name that's much nicer IMO. It's good for a boy or a girl.

PeshwariNaan Mon 23-Jul-12 12:24:07

Oops just saw how old this thread is - sorry!

YodasMummy Mon 23-Jul-12 13:46:34

Lovely idea to honour your granddad.

Personally, I would go for Taylor as a middle name if it were a girl.

ashleywilliam Fri 16-Nov-12 11:30:32

i prefer Taylor as a girl's name

B1ueberryS0rbet Fri 16-Nov-12 20:44:56

Awful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now