Baby girl 3 - welsh name needed!!!!

(105 Posts)
prizeelliott Wed 09-Dec-09 22:27:28

Hello, this is the first time doing this... how strangely liberating!!
I am expecting our third daughter and need a name to match our 2 other daughters. As welsh speakers living in Wales we want to stick with the welsh theme we started! Any suggestions? How do some of these sound to non welsh ears? Don't want anything too out there in case she ends up living in London!!

Betsan.... Beti for short!
Mena,
Cerys,
Carys,
Marged,
Sian
Eleri
Elin,
Luned
Sali

Not doing very well am I?!

Other daughters are Tesni Angharad and Nia Haf.
Just feel have dragged through all the names twice already!!!!
Is it just me that finds this hard?
x

Earthymama Thu 10-Dec-09 23:42:50

I love Deryn. (there's a really ood author of historical crime fiction called Deryn Lake)
I really Arian too.
Congrats on DD3 x

SixtyFootDoll Thu 10-Dec-09 23:46:49

Deryn is a boys name isnt it?

mumoverseas Fri 11-Dec-09 05:42:01

I know a Deryn who is definitely female

tummytickler Fri 11-Dec-09 11:09:26

Oh - I forgot - one of my favourite names of all time - dd was nearly called it - Gwendolen! Love it - we may use it if we have another dd!

dottyaboutstripes Fri 11-Dec-09 14:21:04

Manon. I LOVE this Also Myfanwy

Mammina Fri 11-Dec-09 14:42:14

DD2 was nearly a Manon. HAve never come across Deryn before & to me it sounds like a boy's name...?

I love Llio but that would turn to Clio in other countries

Mabli
Nanw
Iola
Lois

and what I wanted to call DD but DH wouldn't have it - Aneira. Actually I also love Eira and Eiri/Eiry

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 11-Dec-09 15:05:10

Depends what your surname is?

Rhiannon is my middle name - and I like it, even tho' I have always lived in England. (My Dad was Welsh.)

As a small child I had a friend called Maruwen/Marawen (sorry: not sure of spelling, but I liked the name).

Other nice Welsh girls' names (imo):

Bethan
Megan
Gwen

Others earlier in this thread suggested Cariad (doesn't that mean darling?) and Morwenna (isn't that Cornish?)

I also have a cousin Myfanwy, but frankly I think it's a hard name to love/spell.

Good luck!

Mammina Fri 11-Dec-09 15:08:33

Princess was it Meirwen?
yes, cariad means darling or love.
Not keen on Myfanwy either but like the nn Myfi (muvee)

reup Fri 11-Dec-09 15:14:43

Brid
Morfydd
Maer (not sure of spelling)

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 11-Dec-09 15:54:00

Migola, it might have been - thanks! Not sure of spelling, as I said, and haven't seen her for a long time, so can't check.

MrsGravy Fri 11-Dec-09 20:24:54

Love Cerys/Carys, Eleri, Mena and Betsan. Also love all the other suggestions on here!

Only thing I could add is Fflur, Non, Meleri and I know a girl called Neiry (think that's how it's spelt, pronounced Nire-ree)

wheresthesunshine Fri 11-Dec-09 20:44:46

Eira? (snow)
Eirwen? (snow white I think)

dizzycringles Fri 11-Dec-09 23:59:15

I love Elin and Seren and Arwyn

congrats on your DD3 - 3 girls are great smile

dizzycringles Sat 12-Dec-09 00:00:14

oh and does it matter if Deryn is supposed to be a boys name? we have a female Dylan and love it grin

SmacOnTheLipsUnderTheMistletoe Sat 12-Dec-09 07:49:51

From your list I really like Carys/Cerys, Elin and Eleri.
For some reason when I hear Betsan I think it sounds like a place name. I think it's cos when I hear Betsan Powys on the telly I always think of a place name rather than a person. Well I know Powys is a place but it confuses me.

Other Welsh girls names I like are Seren, Catrin, Megan and Bronwen and think they would all be easy to pronounce outwith Wales.

Sian is popular but to my ear sounds quite a harsh name and Menna makes me think of my old lady neighbour. Myfanwy has become a stereotypical 'take the piss out the Welsh' name due to Little Britian and sounds too like 'my fanny'

mejon Sat 12-Dec-09 10:50:03

Smac - how very dare you grin. I'm a Menna! You do like my middle name though (but I'm not too fussed on it)!

TipsyFairydifferentID Sat 12-Dec-09 10:53:29

How about Heledd or Hedydd?

From your list ?I like Menna, Eleri and Luned.

boodleboot Sat 12-Dec-09 11:05:42

HOw about Eirlys? i love that....

GhostofMintyCandyCane Sat 12-Dec-09 11:09:44

Tirion

is my favorite Welsh name Tiri for short.

poinsettydawg Sat 12-Dec-09 11:10:56

I really like the sound of Seren. That's welsh isn't it?

poinsettydawg Sat 12-Dec-09 11:12:32

Catrin is nice too

Chuffinnora Sat 12-Dec-09 11:13:05

Seren is Welsh for star

Chuffinnora Sat 12-Dec-09 11:21:29

Mali is getting more popular here in Wales, as is Seren, Ffion and Lowri. Again I mean. I went to school with lots of Catherines, Claires and Nicolas.

Nobody suggested Beddug yet?grin
[

TipsyFairydifferentID Sat 12-Dec-09 11:52:47

Buddug is a name that English speaking people have terrible trouble with.grin

SmacOnTheLipsUnderTheMistletoe Sat 12-Dec-09 14:08:14

ha ha mejon you've already called me rude on another Welsh name thread. I'll try very hard and see if I can offend your entire family!
I didn't actually say that I didn't like Menna it just makes me think of my old lady neighbour but lots of old granny names are popular in English right now so why not Welsh granny names too! Someone else mentioned Delyth - I think that's an old lady name too but I quite like it.
I feel 'qualified' to respond to this thread though as the OP asked how things sounded to 'non welsh ears'.
Beddug/Buddug looks terrible - like a bedbug! I take it the dd is a th ? Go on tell us how you pronounce it then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now