Baby girl 3 - welsh name needed!!!!

(105 Posts)
prizeelliott Wed 09-Dec-09 22:27:28

Hello, this is the first time doing this... how strangely liberating!!
I am expecting our third daughter and need a name to match our 2 other daughters. As welsh speakers living in Wales we want to stick with the welsh theme we started! Any suggestions? How do some of these sound to non welsh ears? Don't want anything too out there in case she ends up living in London!!

Betsan.... Beti for short!
Mena,
Cerys,
Carys,
Marged,
Sian
Eleri
Elin,
Luned
Sali

Not doing very well am I?!

Other daughters are Tesni Angharad and Nia Haf.
Just feel have dragged through all the names twice already!!!!
Is it just me that finds this hard?
x

ShinyAndNew Wed 09-Dec-09 22:30:36

Bryony.

Is Rowan Welsh?

sparklyrainbow Wed 09-Dec-09 22:31:33

Cerys is lovely, sadly no Welsh connections and it doesn't go with surname or I'd be very tempted. Friend has just had a girl with middle name Seren which she tells me is Welsh?

MadameMoe Wed 09-Dec-09 22:31:45

With your DDs name is like Elin best.

Like Mena, Cerys and Carys too. The only one that should be given a wide berth is Marged IMVHO.

MadameMoe Wed 09-Dec-09 22:32:12

DDs names

Fruitysunshine Wed 09-Dec-09 22:32:33

My friend has called her kids Rhiannon and Cai. They are both Welsh she tells me.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Wed 09-Dec-09 22:33:07

Eleri is lovely, or Nia?

prizeelliott Wed 09-Dec-09 22:34:04

Thank you ladies... waw how quick was that - this is fab thank you!

jkklpu Wed 09-Dec-09 22:43:24

Catrin?

confuddledDOTcom Wed 09-Dec-09 22:47:50

I love Siân, it's one of my top names for a girl grin I had a midwife with that name and I know some others too, there are famous Siâns too so it's not too unusual to the English.

pinkmagic1 Wed 09-Dec-09 22:49:40

Love Cerys best but there are 2 in my DD's playgroup and we are not even in Wales so would worry it might be too popular.

confuddledDOTcom Wed 09-Dec-09 22:50:06

I love Siân, it's one of my top names for a girl grin I had a midwife with that name and I know some others too, there are famous Siâns too so it's not too unusual to the English.

mrsruffallo Wed 09-Dec-09 22:50:32

Myfanwy

Mammina Wed 09-Dec-09 22:53:44

not keen on Betsan, Sali not really welsh, the others are nice, but if you're worried about pronunciation outside of wales I would avoid Marged and Luned. Also Mena with 1 'n' would be pronounced Meena.

pinkmagic1 Wed 09-Dec-09 22:56:10

Saffir

Loujalou Wed 09-Dec-09 22:57:13

Neve - my friend told me that was Welsh and its lovely.

Bethan - not sure if its particularly Welsh.

Like Sian and Cerys from your list. Also Eleri is very pretty.

ChaosInCamelot Wed 09-Dec-09 22:58:18

Saw you on the Betty thread and mentioned there I like the Betsan / Beti combo. Also like Marged.

Agree that would do Menna not Mena.

exexpat Wed 09-Dec-09 23:02:44

Mererid?

mrswill Wed 09-Dec-09 23:08:52

Ffion or Mari?

SnotBaby Wed 09-Dec-09 23:11:31

Deryn?

Deemented Thu 10-Dec-09 07:32:05

Oh i love Betsan!! Also like Eleri, provided it's said properly.

What about

Arrianna
Arrianwen
Mali
Marni

Thandeka Thu 10-Dec-09 07:37:16

Betsan sounds like a bookies cleaning firm. Sorry. I love Morwen or Morwenna but am biased as is a family name. But like most on your list too!

mejon Thu 10-Dec-09 10:53:10

Menna is with 2 'n's (waving at Migola wink).

I like Betsan - makes a change from Bethan and I would use Betsi as a nn. Marged is lovely but I would imagine she'd probably end up being called something close to Marj if she moved out of Wales!

Some others

Mabli
Mali
Mared
Alys
Gwenno
Anwen
Awen
Elan
Elain
Heledd

It is difficult I agree - we have relations in England so had to try and make sure that DD's name was pronouncable to them so we ended up rejecting quite a few lovely names.

upahill Thu 10-Dec-09 10:55:47

Anwen was my choice of girls name. I love it. However DS says thank god he was born a boy so he didn't have that name!!!!

mumoverseas Thu 10-Dec-09 10:57:28

was going to suggest Angharad which is my DN's name but you already have that. Lovely name and congratulations on your third girl

lostinwales Thu 10-Dec-09 11:11:03

Love Betsan and Eleri, also have v good friend called Catrin who we all call Cat which sounds quite cool! Can't think of anything original to add sorry, found it v hard with what we thought was DD1 as we already had a Rhodri Arwel and a Tomos Owain, he's DS3 though and suits Gwilym down to the ground (although don't get me started on my mum who called a week after he was born and said 'I've told everyone he's called William, that's ok isn't it?!'

Had a long thought, Meleri or Delyth?

doodledrawers Thu 10-Dec-09 11:50:12

DS2 would have been Seren if he'd been a girl - I love the fact it means "star". Love Llinos as well, though possibly not very English-friendly!

WinkyWinkola Thu 10-Dec-09 11:52:43

Seren. It's a beautiful name. I know a Seren and she's a little smasher.

birdofthenorth Thu 10-Dec-09 12:01:05

Love Elin and Carys. I also love Seren, Mali and Essylt (nn Essie, really sweet).

Love your existing DDs names, congrats on number 3!

Anya4 Thu 10-Dec-09 13:27:43

Love Ffion. Carys is isn't unusual up here in Scotland so if you wanted something a bit more 'welsh', wouldn't go for that. Love Anwen too.....!

tummytickler Thu 10-Dec-09 14:41:45

My favourite Welsh names for girls are Dilys and Hawys. Do you like those?
From your list I like Eleri and Elin.

RnB Thu 10-Dec-09 14:42:36

Arwen?

Nowtheres4 Thu 10-Dec-09 14:46:26

I used to work with a girl called Ceridwen (Ceri for short), it always stuck with me but didn;t use it for either of my dd's as we have no welsh connections and felt wrong.

Cerys is lovely too.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Thu 10-Dec-09 14:47:21

I know a Seren and she's a right little nightmare star. She's mine though, so I can say that Anyway, we're in England and no one's stuggled with the name (although children tend to think she's called Sarah if she tell them her name, but she's only 3)

SixtyFootDoll Thu 10-Dec-09 14:47:29

I like Eleri best from your list
My friend is Welsh speaking and has a Lowri, which I love!

mathanxiety Thu 10-Dec-09 14:51:01

Could you use Angharad again? I love this name. I like Rhiannon too.

From your list, I like
Carys,
Marged,
Sian
Eleri
Elin

BaronessBarbaraKingstanding Thu 10-Dec-09 14:57:12

Dilys?

We were consiering this for a girl, but had a boy.

happymerrychristmas Thu 10-Dec-09 14:57:43

All lovely names, but I particularly like

Eleri
Cerys
Sian

I'm with Mejon - Mali is a lovely name (isn't it Welsh for Molly?).

Mammina Thu 10-Dec-09 16:32:16

(waves back at mejon grin)

I like Dilys too, quite old womany but due for a comeback I think.

Ineedsomesleep Thu 10-Dec-09 20:21:25

Out of your list I like Carys (my niece's name-she's English), Elin and Luned.

My favourite Welsh name is Seren.

There is a Manon in DS's class but she is French. Didn't know until she started school that it was a French name as well as a Welsh one.

JingleAllTheWay Thu 10-Dec-09 20:22:38

Cariad? Have heard that used too

Tidey Thu 10-Dec-09 20:25:39

I know a Gwenllian, I think that's pretty.

Takver Thu 10-Dec-09 21:20:07

I love Eleri and Elin. I would have thought either would be fine in London (as would Betsan)

Sali makes me think too much of Sali Mali

Of others mentioned, Catrin is very very popular at least round here - though it is a great name.

MrsMattie Thu 10-Dec-09 21:22:24

Eleri is very pretty.

I also love Seren.

hanaflower Thu 10-Dec-09 21:24:01

Bethan
Sian
Cerys
Elin.

releasethehounds Thu 10-Dec-09 21:25:54

I have a Cerys! And we're not Welsh or living in Wales, but we just liked the name.

It usually gets a lot of compliments, and we chose it mainly because our DD1 has a very popular name and we wanted something a little more unusual. Cerys/Carys are both getting more popular now though.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Thu 10-Dec-09 21:44:40

I love the names you have already used

Other names I likw are

Mabley
Delyth
Iona
Ionwy
Enfys
Eleri
Elin
Gwen

spiderlight Thu 10-Dec-09 23:32:39

My DS would have been Seren too, although it's become mega popular all of a sudden. I love Rhian/Rhiannon, Elin, Eleri, Catrin (Cadi for short?), Carys, Cerys, Sian, Anwen. I really like Gwenllian but it would be a pronounciation nightmare.

SantasBigboots Thu 10-Dec-09 23:40:57

Seren is lovely - 'star' in Welsh

Earthymama Thu 10-Dec-09 23:42:50

I love Deryn. (there's a really ood author of historical crime fiction called Deryn Lake)
I really Arian too.
Congrats on DD3 x

SixtyFootDoll Thu 10-Dec-09 23:46:49

Deryn is a boys name isnt it?

mumoverseas Fri 11-Dec-09 05:42:01

I know a Deryn who is definitely female

tummytickler Fri 11-Dec-09 11:09:26

Oh - I forgot - one of my favourite names of all time - dd was nearly called it - Gwendolen! Love it - we may use it if we have another dd!

dottyaboutstripes Fri 11-Dec-09 14:21:04

Manon. I LOVE this Also Myfanwy

Mammina Fri 11-Dec-09 14:42:14

DD2 was nearly a Manon. HAve never come across Deryn before & to me it sounds like a boy's name...?

I love Llio but that would turn to Clio in other countries

Mabli
Nanw
Iola
Lois

and what I wanted to call DD but DH wouldn't have it - Aneira. Actually I also love Eira and Eiri/Eiry

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 11-Dec-09 15:05:10

Depends what your surname is?

Rhiannon is my middle name - and I like it, even tho' I have always lived in England. (My Dad was Welsh.)

As a small child I had a friend called Maruwen/Marawen (sorry: not sure of spelling, but I liked the name).

Other nice Welsh girls' names (imo):

Bethan
Megan
Gwen

Others earlier in this thread suggested Cariad (doesn't that mean darling?) and Morwenna (isn't that Cornish?)

I also have a cousin Myfanwy, but frankly I think it's a hard name to love/spell.

Good luck!

Mammina Fri 11-Dec-09 15:08:33

Princess was it Meirwen?
yes, cariad means darling or love.
Not keen on Myfanwy either but like the nn Myfi (muvee)

reup Fri 11-Dec-09 15:14:43

Brid
Morfydd
Maer (not sure of spelling)

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 11-Dec-09 15:54:00

Migola, it might have been - thanks! Not sure of spelling, as I said, and haven't seen her for a long time, so can't check.

MrsGravy Fri 11-Dec-09 20:24:54

Love Cerys/Carys, Eleri, Mena and Betsan. Also love all the other suggestions on here!

Only thing I could add is Fflur, Non, Meleri and I know a girl called Neiry (think that's how it's spelt, pronounced Nire-ree)

wheresthesunshine Fri 11-Dec-09 20:44:46

Eira? (snow)
Eirwen? (snow white I think)

dizzycringles Fri 11-Dec-09 23:59:15

I love Elin and Seren and Arwyn

congrats on your DD3 - 3 girls are great smile

dizzycringles Sat 12-Dec-09 00:00:14

oh and does it matter if Deryn is supposed to be a boys name? we have a female Dylan and love it grin

SmacOnTheLipsUnderTheMistletoe Sat 12-Dec-09 07:49:51

From your list I really like Carys/Cerys, Elin and Eleri.
For some reason when I hear Betsan I think it sounds like a place name. I think it's cos when I hear Betsan Powys on the telly I always think of a place name rather than a person. Well I know Powys is a place but it confuses me.

Other Welsh girls names I like are Seren, Catrin, Megan and Bronwen and think they would all be easy to pronounce outwith Wales.

Sian is popular but to my ear sounds quite a harsh name and Menna makes me think of my old lady neighbour. Myfanwy has become a stereotypical 'take the piss out the Welsh' name due to Little Britian and sounds too like 'my fanny'

mejon Sat 12-Dec-09 10:50:03

Smac - how very dare you grin. I'm a Menna! You do like my middle name though (but I'm not too fussed on it)!

TipsyFairydifferentID Sat 12-Dec-09 10:53:29

How about Heledd or Hedydd?

From your list ?I like Menna, Eleri and Luned.

boodleboot Sat 12-Dec-09 11:05:42

HOw about Eirlys? i love that....

GhostofMintyCandyCane Sat 12-Dec-09 11:09:44

Tirion

is my favorite Welsh name Tiri for short.

poinsettydawg Sat 12-Dec-09 11:10:56

I really like the sound of Seren. That's welsh isn't it?

poinsettydawg Sat 12-Dec-09 11:12:32

Catrin is nice too

Chuffinnora Sat 12-Dec-09 11:13:05

Seren is Welsh for star

Chuffinnora Sat 12-Dec-09 11:21:29

Mali is getting more popular here in Wales, as is Seren, Ffion and Lowri. Again I mean. I went to school with lots of Catherines, Claires and Nicolas.

Nobody suggested Beddug yet?grin
[

TipsyFairydifferentID Sat 12-Dec-09 11:52:47

Buddug is a name that English speaking people have terrible trouble with.grin

SmacOnTheLipsUnderTheMistletoe Sat 12-Dec-09 14:08:14

ha ha mejon you've already called me rude on another Welsh name thread. I'll try very hard and see if I can offend your entire family!
I didn't actually say that I didn't like Menna it just makes me think of my old lady neighbour but lots of old granny names are popular in English right now so why not Welsh granny names too! Someone else mentioned Delyth - I think that's an old lady name too but I quite like it.
I feel 'qualified' to respond to this thread though as the OP asked how things sounded to 'non welsh ears'.
Beddug/Buddug looks terrible - like a bedbug! I take it the dd is a th ? Go on tell us how you pronounce it then!

CantThinkofFunnyName Sat 12-Dec-09 14:21:41

There are some lovely names here but the OP categorically said she didn't want something too out there in case DD ended up living in London. As a Londoner, married to a Welshman, most of the names, apart from Cerys actually, I think would be too difficult for non-Welsh to pronounce from reading, know what the name was etc.

How about Rhiannon or Cerys. Both v Welsh but easily understood the world over?

Also like Bethan... HTH...

Takver Sat 12-Dec-09 16:56:55

I would have thought most Londoners would be perfectly competent at dealing with non-English names . . . not exactly monocultural, really, London.

Of the original list I don't see any that look hard to pronounce, I would have thought the only thing to avoid would be the letters that we don't have in English, I agree that while Buddug is a pretty name it is hard for non Welsh speakers to get their heads around

SixtyFootDoll Sat 12-Dec-09 17:13:12

Eirlys is so pretty and means 'snowdrop'

AndOnAndOnAndOn Sat 12-Dec-09 17:46:53

Soffia?

ohnelly Sat 12-Dec-09 18:26:23

I like :-
Arwen
Megan
Catrin
Sara
Sioned
Anwen
Eiddwen
Elin
Bethan
Ceri
Ffion

Bethan and Carys are my faves

MamiBabi Sat 12-Dec-09 19:17:16

Suppose I should chip in ...

I love Mari but that may be because I've got one, it's one that works outside of Wales too, DH is a Londoner and both he and his family can say it (coached with 'sounds like Barry' grin)

But then DD was nearly a

Alaw
Betsan
Cadi
Ceridwen
Efa
Gwenllian
Gwenno
Gwendolyn (lots of Gwen names after my Nan)
Lois
Mabli
Olwen
Rhiannon

The criteria for me rested not on DH and family's ability to pronounce the name but more on my own experience of having a Welsh name and living in England for 10 years - after the first 5 I gave up correcting the pronunciation and didn't really want my DD to have the same experience!

mejon Sat 12-Dec-09 20:45:26

Smac - I know our paths have crossed before. I wasn't sure if you remembered!! I don't think Delyth (or Menna wink) is much of an 'old lady' name. I'd associate names like Olwen and Dilys more with old ladies.

I think Buddug is unusual but quite harsh. It's pronounced Biddig (with the 'dd' pronounced like the 'th' in 'the').

I agree with you about Myfanwy btw, though my favourite aunt was called Fanw which is a pet name for Myfanwy.

winjy Sun 13-Dec-09 09:19:41

i like haf...it means summer...or mai, love seren its really popular in south wales...from ur list i love menna!! its beautiful!!

lattemacchiato Mon 14-Dec-09 09:31:56

I've lived in London for ten years now and I do have some problems with pronunciation of my name, especially when people see it written down first. I'm a Sioned and I get called Sinead a_lot. However, it doesn't bother me too much and correcting pronunciation/ talking about where the name comes from is a good ice breaker when meeting new people. I would say the main thing to avoid would be names with 'dd' and 'll' sounds. My sister has one of these in her name and has terrible problems outside Wales (and with the English side of the family...)

Personally I love Menna and Manon and think they work well wherever you are

pranma Mon 14-Dec-09 10:54:29

Seren is very pretty

pixiestix Mon 14-Dec-09 12:50:24

Eleri is gorgeous, use Eleri!!

poinsettydawg Mon 14-Dec-09 19:11:39

I just see celery

ten10 Mon 14-Dec-09 19:26:06

my favourite welsh girls name is
Genevra.

had a friend at school with this name and always said I wanted it for a girl, but have two boys and so never did get to use iten10

kateyfer Tue 15-Dec-09 13:47:16

love Welsh girls names! here are a few suggestions:

Angharad
Rhian
Rhiannon
Lowri
Llinos
Bethan
Mair
Mared
Megan
Meredydd/Mered ith
Sian
Sioned
Ffion
Anwen
Gwenllian
Delyth

Patsy99 Tue 15-Dec-09 15:49:51

Love the dd's names you already have.

We live in London and were going to have Gwenllian for a girl but English in-laws actually laughed when they tried to say it. I think "ll" and "dd" will probably never be pronounced properly here. I guess Marged and Luned could be a bit of a challenge too. And whenever I see "Sali" I always think of Sali Mali but suppose that's only an issue in Wales. I really wanted Manon but dh vetoed on basis it sounded too French. I work with an Eleri and I've never heard anyone have any trouble with it.

timelordvictorious Tue 15-Dec-09 15:53:55

We've got a Ffion and a Seren (Seren is a dog though...). We live in England, and no one has ever had problems with either.

mummyofexcitedprincesses Tue 15-Dec-09 16:01:18

Another vote for Seren or Maire/Mari here.

94100 Tue 15-Dec-09 16:50:15

I am a Welsh expat living in Paris, husband is French. I gave Llinos as a second name to my little girl, the French can approximately pronounce it being one of the reasons I chose it other than it being a nice cheerful name!

prizeelliott Wed 16-Dec-09 21:24:30

How funny!!! Sounds like something my dh would say!!! Chris is that you?!!!

Point taken though thanks!!!!

prizeelliott Wed 16-Dec-09 21:30:17

I am with you on the Sali thing... loved it for both girls, but could never think of a middle name to counter Mali!!!! Guess may have to be struck from the list!!!

By the way thank you all xx

prizeelliott Wed 16-Dec-09 21:34:09

Oh god you can tell I'm a novice!!! thought my messages would slot into appropriate places!!! The that's what my husband would say thing actually about Betsan being like a cleaning agent for a betting shop! Promise to stop waffling now!! Sorry x

mammafran Wed 16-Dec-09 21:40:29

Elin is a lovely name. I would consider it if I have a daughter but one of my friends has already called her daughter that. If I have a daughter I will definately give her a Welsh name.

I love Eirlys and Eirys. Seren beautiful. I have no connection to wales, but can pronounce the above!

I had a welsh friend called Cerian when I was little. We all just called her Kerry-Ann. Her mother tried to tell us, but our midlander ears weren't processing it. blush

Tippietoes Sat 02-Mar-13 14:35:15

Seren means star and is often used in conjunction with other names eg; Seren-Haf, which means summer star.

Tippietoes Sat 02-Mar-13 14:38:04

Just don't give her my awful Welsh name....Glynis, which as you'll know means 'little valley'. What was my mother thinking?!

Tippietoes Sat 02-Mar-13 14:47:56

Cariad is an endrarment, like calling someone 'love'. Never understood it as a name, but will probably find out loads of parents on here have used it!

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sat 02-Mar-13 17:06:02

Aargh, zombie thread!

ChompieMum Sat 02-Mar-13 17:12:03

Seren, Saffir, Mali and Arwen (as in Lord of the Rings) are my faves.

Contradictionincarnate Thu 07-Mar-13 00:04:16

everyone seems to be called seren!! I like lewsi and heledd - heledd was a welsh princess! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now