Finty - made up name or does it come from somewhere?

(56 Posts)
MiniLlace Tue 18-Aug-09 10:20:44

We have decided to call our DD Finty - we have both loved the name since hearing Judi Dench mention its her daughters name in an interview some years back. However we have no idea whether it was made up or actually comes from somewhere - we dont really care but know someone will ask us once she is born and the name becomes public - any idea??

malung Tue 18-Aug-09 21:27:13

I simply don't believe you are serious. Finty How could you do that. So so many names - no need to make up one. sad Think !

Chunkamatic Tue 18-Aug-09 21:55:12

Minilace I'm sorry people are giving you a hard time on here. It really annoys me when the OP doesnt ask for opinions but posters feel the need to respond with derogatory comments!

If i heard the name Finty i'd assume it was a nn for something, so I think that you need to be prepared for people to ask what it's short for, and for them to be a bit hmm when you say it's a little bit made up!

There will always be people who don't like whatever name you choose, so you may as well go for something you really love and sod what anyone else says!!

MiniLlace Wed 19-Aug-09 08:11:36

Thanks chuckamatic - to be honest the thread has made me giggle quite a lot - as ive said before names are subjective - one persons love is anothers OMG dont call her that!! .. ie one reason i didnt ask for views - although as i say they are making me smile - we are happy with it and yes we have a rather unusual surname which goes very well with it so all good - and you know if its the only thing in our lives that our DD 'hates us for' as one person says - they hey that is fine with me ... grin ...

moondog Wed 19-Aug-09 08:25:05

All names are 'made up'. As are all words.
People assign meaning to random groups of sounds. That's how language works.

Thus, Susan is 'made up' and so is Piloloa.

seeker Wed 19-Aug-09 13:26:56

My dd's friend Finty is in our garden as we speak. I've just asked her if it was short for something, and she said "I wish it was - people are ALWAYS asking!".

gladders Wed 19-Aug-09 13:52:45

Finty is made up.

Judi Dench thought she was having a boy nd wanted to call him Finnian..

When it was a girl they gave her the name someone here has mentioned, but hr hsuband suggested finty as a nickname when she was a babay and it stuck...

I quite like it - but as a nickname.

SoupDragon Wed 19-Aug-09 18:05:49

"if its the only thing in our lives that our DD 'hates us for' as one person says - they hey that is fine with me"

But will it be OK with her. You are naming her. You won't have to carry the name off, she will. I speak as someone who had to "carry off" a stupid rhyming name because my parents "loved it" and were "happy with it" but they didn't have to put up with 29 years of sniggering and teasing because if it did they?

AspasiaManos Wed 19-Aug-09 18:10:39

SoupDragon - your name rhymes? You poor thing.

I have a weird made up name which people constantly mix up with another, more common, name. It is a mighty pain the ass, frankly, to be called something other than your real name day in, day out.

pogleswife Wed 19-Aug-09 20:05:52

What about Finnuala ( finnoola) with Finty for short ?

MaggieBeauLeo Wed 19-Aug-09 21:21:56

I don't like it. sounds like a boys name but finty williams looks really lovely

MaggieBeauLeo Wed 19-Aug-09 21:23:21

Fionnuala + any name beginning with T = Finty?.

Tidey Wed 19-Aug-09 21:29:40

I really don't like it either, I'm probably very boring when it comes to made-up names, but clearly you have made up your mind and nothing a load of strangers on a screen are saying will make the slightest difference. Good luck and best wishes to you. smile

I like it.

But agree with above poster, go for conventional middle name. This will give her a choice which "flavour" of name to use when she runs for Prime Minister wink.

And, anyway, doesn't everybody hate their first name? I know I did when I was primary age and I have perfectly normal, non-rhyming, non-weird first name. In fact, I would have loved something glamourous and exotic like, ooohh, dunno, Arrabella or ... Finty grin.

fin42 Thu 20-Aug-09 00:10:39

I have a similar name, Finda, it wasn't made up as it's a name from Sierra Leone, where I was born.
I doubt that there's any connection to Finty (which I like btw) but I thought I might add:
Yes, I frequently have to explain it;People often think it's either Irish or Scandanavian:it will probably get shortened to Fin by friends( which is actually quite 'cool'atm); 'unusual' names are much more popular now than they were when I was growing up; and despite all this I don't hate my parents for it. It's a pretty name as is Finty imho.

Cosmosis Thu 20-Aug-09 11:27:21

I think Finty is lovely, just use it and sod what people say.

|You know, in my head, Soupdragon's real name is Julie Poolie grin

abouteve Thu 20-Aug-09 13:02:30

I quite like it. I probably would give an unmade up name that could be turned into the nickname Finty and therefore changed back if your DD doesn't like having an unusual name. Not sure why perhaps I'm too conventional.

TheDMHatesMe Thu 20-Aug-09 13:06:39

It is lovely. Can't believe people are being quite so vehement about it. Good for you Mini, for your composed response!

KnickKnack Thu 20-Aug-09 13:11:39

Finty is short for the boys name Fintan (in Ireland)...have never heard anyone under the age of about 50 with the shortened version though

mathanxiety Fri 21-Aug-09 08:01:22

Or even Flinty?

It sounds like a reasonable name for a puppy...

finty123 Thu 04-Jul-13 21:28:35

my name's Finty and no one gives me weird looks when i say its not a nickname. i like that its different it means that no one has the same name as me. its not weird at all. and all of you people that say its weird are just not open to new ideas.

finty123 Thu 04-Jul-13 21:29:04

also im 14

Cohenite Thu 04-Jul-13 21:34:58

' Felicity' popped into my mind when I read the name Finty. Just a thought smile

I really like it. I think if I was called it I'd like to have a backstory though. As "no it's not a nickname, dunno where it came from" would be very wearing and not very exciting. As borne out by Seeker's guest!

MothershipG Thu 04-Jul-13 21:43:45

DD's mate's littlest sister is called Finty, unusual bit not especially remarkable, I don't think it has caused a strong reaction, we are in London, not sure if that makes a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now