Different spellings of Isabelle

(38 Posts)
Waitingforbaby Fri 24-Jul-09 17:04:51

I like the name Isabelle but there are so many different ways of spelling it - Isobel, Isabel, Isabelle etc.

In your experience, if your DD is called this, does it get annoying having to spell it every time or having the name spelt incorrectly?

janeite Fri 24-Jul-09 17:06:24

Nope. DD is Isobel.

benicegirls Fri 24-Jul-09 17:51:28

I'm also a no, ours is Isabel, you should see her face if anyone DARE call her Izzy though!!! She's only 4!!!

janeite Fri 24-Jul-09 17:57:22

I only called mine Isobel on the understanding that nobody would call her Izzy (I wanted her to be Belle or Boo). What did she insist on from the moment she could talk though?!

benicegirls Fri 24-Jul-09 18:09:02

Mine was called Belo by her little friends! I really want to call her Ibby and she has always refused! Though I've just asked her now and she said "okay but not at school"!!!!

jellybeans Fri 24-Jul-09 18:33:12

I like Isabelle.

donnie Fri 24-Jul-09 18:37:55

Ysabelle.

pointydog Fri 24-Jul-09 18:40:18

I would pronounce Isabelle differently. Isa- belle instead of Isobel

pointydog Fri 24-Jul-09 18:40:33

cos it's french

janeite Fri 24-Jul-09 18:40:58

Oh it's nice with a Y. I like Ishbel too.

pointydog Fri 24-Jul-09 18:42:32

Ysybyl

CyradisTheSeer Fri 24-Jul-09 18:42:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janeite Fri 24-Jul-09 18:48:43

Pointy.

cat64 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:02:36

I have no dds with that name, but my own name is something that can be spelled several ways, and it did used to annoy me immensely tbh. Now I'm older I'm a bit more laid back about it, but did insist all 3 of our children had names (that I thought!!!) were clear and obvious how to spell, as it did used to rile me having my name spelt wrong all the time.

Issy123 Fri 24-Jul-09 21:03:41

My name is Isabel it is spelt the Spanish way, I prefer this spelling because you spell it as you would say it but ironically I have always had to spell it for people, I think its one of the draw backs to the name all the different ways you can spell it. At the same time its not a big deal just something you get use to.

Tweetinat Mon 03-Aug-09 13:15:48

My neice is an Ysabelle and whilst I think it's really pretty spelt that way, her mum has always regretted spelling it differently.

slowreadingprogress Mon 03-Aug-09 13:20:26

Ysabelle just makes me want to laugh

Isabel is the prettiest imo

TigerFeet Mon 03-Aug-09 13:22:08

Isobel/Isabel/Isabelle is on my list for dd2, due in 5 and a bit weeks.

I have no idea which spelling to go for...

Watching with interest

crokky Mon 03-Aug-09 13:29:25

I know an Izabel and an Isabelle (not my DCs). Personally, I would go for the most common spelling (although I don't know which one that is grin).

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 03-Aug-09 13:33:23

Grandmother was Isobel - I think it is lovely, but don't have a DD!

alittlebitfat Mon 03-Aug-09 13:36:21

Isobel, scottish spelling. keep it simple

simplesusan Mon 03-Aug-09 16:27:40

If I was spelling it I would go for Isobel, don't know why it just seems the more natural spelling.

annamama Tue 10-Nov-09 22:55:48

Picking up on an old thread here... (just did a search on Isabelle).

Someone said they would pronounce Isabelle different to Isabel/Isobel. Does anyone else agree with this?

I'm swedish and over there we always spell it Isabelle (like the french) and we pronounce it Isabelle. I don't mind Isabelle too much but sometimes it almost sounds aggressive to me, especially if also pronounced with a sharp Z sound, IZabel.

Also, would Issy be pronunced with a Z sound, like dizzy? Or just an S sound, as in missy? I prefer S...

Please help a confused foreigner! I'm too embarrassed to ask RL friends.

Sazisi Tue 10-Nov-09 23:01:56

Mine's an Isabel
It doesn't bother me in the least having to spell it out. I don't mind a jot if people spell it Isabelle or Ysybyl sometimes in Christmas cards

Beautiful name, however you spell it

Sazisi Tue 10-Nov-09 23:12:40

Sorry annamama, only just saw your post now!

I would tend to pronounce them all the same. I put equal stress on each syllable. And not quite a Z, but something in between..

Here, Issy is pronounced Izzy. The Z sound never struck me as aggressive, it is certainly a strong name though.. my Isabel is a such a little lioness so it really suits her (and I just realised this thread was originally started on her Birthday..)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now