Thea

(33 Posts)
rek21 Fri 01-May-09 18:29:03

After much debate dh and I have agreed on Thea Rebekah for dd2, who is due to arrive any minute (dd1 is Eve Oriel for comparison purposes). However, since we have started telling people about this a few things are starting to niggle;

1) people ask what it is short for. It is dorothea, but we have no intention of using the whole name although we like the meaning (gift of god).
2) people pronounce it th-ay-a when we intend th-ee-a
3) some people have said 'oh that's different' as though we'd chosen fifi trixibelle or something.

So, should I stick to my guns or will I, and possibly she, be driven insane by endlessly repeating, 'actually, it's th-ee-a'.

bluebump Fri 01-May-09 18:30:59

Stick to your guns, it is one of my all time favourite girls names - I wanted to call my DC Thea but they have both been DS's so I went for Theo instead!

I pronounce it th-ee-a the same as you do.

ShowOfHandsNoLongerKissesKunes Fri 01-May-09 18:31:29

You only have to remind people of the pronunciation once and they should remember. All the important people will cotton on straight away. Otherwise, it's a second of your life to correct somebody.

I'm surprised people have commented on how different it is. It's really common round these here parts.

Dorothea is beautiful. I love it.

spicemonster Fri 01-May-09 18:32:01

Theeee-ah is how it's pronounced. It's a gorgeous name

MrsMattie Fri 01-May-09 18:32:38

I think Thea is lovely. Stick to your guns.

Flappythebat Fri 01-May-09 18:34:04

Thea is a beautiful name, don't change it!

pointydog Fri 01-May-09 18:39:41

it's ok. People will soon get used to it.

rek21 Fri 01-May-09 18:57:44

grin bluebump - our reasoning was the opposite, i.e. no ds to call Theo!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I guess I'm being oversensitive, it's just that we also have one of those surnames that you have to automatically spell, so I'm loathe to add another layer of complication!

bluebump Fri 01-May-09 19:02:44

grin rek21

randomname Fri 01-May-09 19:08:32

Love it, its not that unusual now and i'm suprised people have questioned it, Stick with it (my dd was so nearly thea!)

jellybeans Fri 01-May-09 21:42:28

It's a gorgeous name, you can't go wrong.

amidaiwish Fri 01-May-09 21:47:40

love it. i know a couple of Theas, don't know anyone who has a pronounciation problem.

i wanted it for DD2 but dh didn't. also as they have an unusual surname i thought it was only fair to go for very "normal" (boring) first names...

cheekster Fri 01-May-09 21:49:50

I love the name Thea, couldnt use it with our surname though - Smith!

Too many th's!

hester Fri 01-May-09 21:53:59

Stick to your guns - Thea is a beautiful name.

namechangecosfeelingsad Fri 01-May-09 21:55:26

Lovely.

SamJamsmum Fri 01-May-09 21:59:16

Thea is lovely and it's obvious how it should be pronounced. Stick to your guns but I would perhaps stop telling people in advance. People are less likely to be rude when a real gorgeous baby is in front of them.

lockets Fri 01-May-09 23:15:02

I love the name Thea.
We have a 5 year old dd named Thea, she loves her name too. People do say Taya and Thaya and even Tia but we correct them and she does it herself now.

lockets Fri 01-May-09 23:16:54

Where are you Showofhands? there are very few Theas around here and only ever met one other when we lived in SW London.

It's beautiful, defintely stick to your guns.

It was one of my faves when we were picking a name for little Ff. I thought that she could pick between Thea and Dora for a nickname, and, also, Middlemarch is one of my most loved books.

jennifersofia Fri 01-May-09 23:36:38

Love it.

JulesJules Sat 02-May-09 10:31:15

I love it, it is a beautiful name - I am biased as dd is Thea. smile

FWIW, I have never had anyone mispronounce it, (I think the pronounciation should be obvious, tbh). No one has ever asked if it is short for Dorothea or Theodora.

I don't know any other Theas, it is definitely unusual round here, but people always say what a lovely name it is. Agree with Samjamsmum about not telling people in advance - they are more likely to be rude about your choice! Learnt that the hard way with dd1... grin

ShowOfHandsNoLongerKissesKunes Sat 02-May-09 10:47:47

I'm in Norfolk lockets. I go to 2 toddler groups, Theas at both of them, a woman in the hospital when I had dd called her dd Thea and a lady in our village has a Thea.

Also hear it occasionally at the park. There are a lot of Florences/Florries here too. But it's Norfolk, nobody ever leaves our little circle of villages and we genuinely believe there are only 10 names to choose from. Cows, however, hundreds of names for cows.

rek21 Sat 02-May-09 11:35:57

Right, that's decided it then, thanks a lot everyone. I have to say I didn't think it was a particularly controversial choice, so was surprised myself when eyebrows were raised. I don't know any other Theas (except for someone I haven't seen since uni who gave me the idea in the first place), but then we don't know any other Eves (or Evies) and I know that in some parts of the world you can't bung a brick without bashing an Evie (not that I'm advocating throwing stones at children of course).

JulesJules and Samjamsmum you are dead right, never tell people in advance, they feel they can come right out with the first thing that comes into their heads. Why is that? Its the same as the way that people feel that when you are pregnant they can say, 'blimey, you're huge' or 'was it planned?' Sorry, that's a rant for another thread...

grin ShowofHands, I'm in East Anglia too, but round here its Phoebe or nothing...Not even any cows where I live for inspiration...

lockets Sat 02-May-09 12:50:18

Fabulous - glad you are going for it. We still love the name and DD1 gets lots of comments about how pretty it is. It is my favourite of all three of our girls names.

Lizzylou Sat 02-May-09 13:07:40

OOh, Thea was DS2's "name", lovely lovely and very pretty, without being twee.
envy it just didn't suit him wink

wotulookinat Sat 02-May-09 13:20:00

Thea is one of my middle names. I pronounce it thee-a too.

purepurple Sat 02-May-09 13:30:39

one of my favourite names
love it

Grey24 Sat 02-May-09 18:27:27

Glad you're going for Thea - lovely name, one of the top of my own list. Perfectly fine as name in itself, does not have to be short for anything.
Am reassured myself from this thread that not too many people are going to say 'thay-a' (unless they have a really posh accent, maybe) - I would certainly intend it to be thee-a.

friendly Sat 02-May-09 19:02:06

I think it is a beautiful name and was a serious contender for ds1 had he been a girl. Dh liked it too but because we lived in London at the time thought that she might be called Fee-a at school! He can always think up a way to make a nice name sound awful. i agree with the others who say don't tell anyone till she's born. People can be so rude. Definitely stick to your guns and if people mispronounce her name, educate them.

thea1234567890 Sat 24-Jul-10 07:25:55

my name is thea as in tayuh. and i get called so many names including theeuh, thayuh, tia.. you name it. so no matter what you name her she will still get drivin insane. although its not that bad because her friends will also tell the teacher or whomever what her name is and so that helps a little.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Sat 24-Jul-10 12:52:07

gorgeous name

QuantaCosta Sat 24-Jul-10 13:09:07

I love it. My friend's 5 year old is called this and she has no problems with people pronouncing it! Surely it's just a female version of Theo?

zenoushka Wed 28-Jul-10 17:17:13

Thea is really pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now