Looking for a name for a third triplet.

(82 Posts)
TripleBYPass Mon 13-Apr-09 19:03:36

If all girls we have decided upon Dolly and Hattie and would quite like the third name to be a "thing" something visual to match the other names but we're stuck as we're not too keen on Floral names (apart from Rosa)

I am posting for the first time on my friends log in and feel slightly cheeky that my first contribution is a question rather than a reply.

I will be checking this post later tonight and hope there will be some response. Thanks for reading.

Cies Mon 13-Apr-09 19:10:57

Pearl?

foxinsocks Mon 13-Apr-09 19:13:10

Ruby

(but they do all end in the sound ee then)

HecAteTheEasterBunny Mon 13-Apr-09 19:13:18

hi. smile

Are you sure you want 'matching' names, iyswim? Maybe instead of rhyming names, something a bit less close so they're more individual? (just an opinion, hope you're not cross)

rubyslippers Mon 13-Apr-09 19:13:56

Betty

pooka Mon 13-Apr-09 19:14:25

Beatrice shortened to Bea? (as in Bee)

Foods? Cherry. Coco? (not keen myself, but just suggestions)

pooka Mon 13-Apr-09 19:15:11

Viola.

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:15:50

Do you mean you see the name Hattie as looking like a hat? INteresting way of looking at it.

Stella is latin for star.
What about a colour, like Scarlett? Violet?

Littlefish Mon 13-Apr-09 19:15:54

I agree with Hecate.

Are you convinced about Hattie - sorry, but it always makes me think of Batty Hattie.

Harriet is lovely and gives you (and she) the option of a more "formal" name later in life.

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:16:30

Sapphire, sticking to jewels

AuntieMaggie Mon 13-Apr-09 19:16:31

Not sure about the something visual idea (seems a bit weird to me - who wants to be named after a hat?) but I think you need something with the same end sound to the others and also quite traditional sounding.

Tilly
Maisie
Elsie

Tinker Mon 13-Apr-09 19:17:01

Kitty

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:19:20

Tilda (rice - har)

Littlefish Mon 13-Apr-09 19:19:45

Can I be blunt please. It think that having three names with the same end sound is horribly twee.

It will also mean that when you call one of them, they will all ignore you because they will all think you've shouted to one of the others because they've only heard the last sound. It will drive you bonkers grin.

flightoftheeasterbunyip Mon 13-Apr-09 19:20:11

Floss grin

Bit too visual maybe.

Seriously, I like Dorothy and harriet. Am racking brain for another similar thing.

Winnie springs to mind. Although I'd prefer you didn't, because I want it for my next baby grin

randomname Mon 13-Apr-09 19:20:18

Minnie

TripleBYPass Mon 13-Apr-09 19:21:36

Thank you very much for the info.
It may sound silly but I want to be able apply something visual to their things/clothes but only some of the time. I forgot to mention that Hattie would be Harriet and Dolly would be Dolores which is an old family name.I hadn't considered Stella which I think is very pretty and I love stars.For boys I like Rowan/Joshua/Bay, again easy to apply visuals.Some may think it naff but I think it will be sweet.

Rumpel Mon 13-Apr-09 19:24:02

How about Rosemary?
or Aurora?
Crystal?

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:24:27

You stick with your idea, triple. I like it grin

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:24:48

Dawn

artichokes Mon 13-Apr-09 19:27:43

Stones: Ruby, Amber, Jade, Pearl, Emerald, Gem(ma)
Places: Georgia, India, Atlanta, Oceana, Sienna, Florence, Savannah
Weather: Storm, Summer, Rain
American names: Brook, Taylor

If I wanted to obey your rules I would go for Florence. It is a lovely name. A stunning city. And it has lots of nicknames (Flora, Florrie, Flo).

flightoftheeasterbunyip Mon 13-Apr-09 19:30:17

I think it's sweet as well smile

You could have little coat pegs with a painted picture next to them, I always meant to do that for mine, like at primary school!

And have never got round to it blush not that they ever hang up their coats...

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:31:55

brooke, taylor, tim

chequersmate Mon 13-Apr-09 19:33:03

Triplets, congratulations!!!

How is Joshua visual though?

foxinsocks Mon 13-Apr-09 19:33:42

yes I like it and let's face it, you're going to need to be able to tell them apart pretty easily wink

Ruby would be good and red easy to get hold of

I LOVE Dolores. Haven't heard it for years.

You could call the other one Grace and always dress her in posh dresses wink

willowthewispa Mon 13-Apr-09 19:34:07

I think it's a lovely idea Triple!

Rose/Rosa is nice, and I think Rowan is a great girls name too.

I know an adult called Emerald, unusual and elegant - Pearl is also pretty and less common than Ruby.

Olive, Skye, Willow, Robyn, Marina, Honey?

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:35:10

marina's good. Sea always good.

Peggy
Honey
Saffron

SpaceTrain Mon 13-Apr-09 19:35:49

Peggy
Carrie (as to Car, as Hattie is to hat)
Allegra (lol)
Apple
Peach
Cat
Skye
Brooke
Angel
Summer
Paige
Paisley
Piper
Tiger
Rain
Kitty
Athena
Liberty
Phoenix
Paris
Crystal
Dawn

Tiara

Rumpel Mon 13-Apr-09 19:39:48

Chequers - Joshua tree - the theme for boys is trees.

Saffron was my name of choice for no 2 if bubba was a girl - DH hated it though - I had a boy anyway smile DD is called Amber - gorgeous name.

chequersmate Mon 13-Apr-09 19:40:57

Thank you Rumpel!!!

(will small children be able to tell a bay tree from a rowan though, d'you think?)

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:41:16

Woody for a boy. What would that be a nickname for?

willowthewispa Mon 13-Apr-09 19:42:11

Penelope - Penny

Dolores (Dolly)
Harriet (Hattie)

and

Catherine (Kitty)
Rosalind (Rosie)
Angelica (Angel)
Delilah (Lila/ Lily)
Bridget (Birdie)
Tabitha (Tabby)
Penelope (Penny)
Araminta (Minty)

Edward (Teddy) would be lovely if you had GGB

pooka Mon 13-Apr-09 19:45:10

How funny - I was also going to suggest Rowan as a girl. Have known male and female Rowans and think is excellent name.

JaquelinehydeAllTheEggs Mon 13-Apr-09 19:46:06

Annabelle or Isabelle (bell)

TripleBYPass Mon 13-Apr-09 19:46:57

woody! {embarrassed}

Thanks for the positivity, I had thought about easily telling them apart and even considered the whole peg thing too, how weird is that?Now my problem is there are too many to chose from. I am so surprised that I hadn't realised how many perfectly good names there were to choose from. I like so many already noted. I really like Pearl and Bee and the whole colour and Ruby/Violet thing.I think they go really lovely together.

ItsMargotBeaurEGGarde Mon 13-Apr-09 19:51:53

Dolly is not an appropriate name. Slang for a tit. You can not possibly do it.

I like Polly though. Polly, Hattie and Jeannie. In that vein. Or Elsa or Edie

Rumpel Mon 13-Apr-09 19:52:15

Fuschia?
Magenta if you like the colour thing?

nooka Mon 13-Apr-09 19:52:34

Dolores, Harriet and Estelle (Stella) are lovely, so I would go with Stella as the third choice, with a doll, hat and star as their symbols. It is a pity that Dolores means sorrows, as I think the doll symbol is less nice than the other two (love the star, such a positive image). Hattie, Dolly and Stella sounds good to me. Although I can imagine Stellie being used in that context which isn't quite as nice.

I'm not so sure about the trees to be honest because they will be so much more obviously matched, and therefore a bit twee, and possibly a bit depersonalized, which can be an issue for multiples. Although Rowan and Joshua are not obviously associated with trees I guess (I'm not terribly keen on Bay personally - doesn't sound like a whole name to me).

willowthewispa Mon 13-Apr-09 19:53:48

I've never heard Dolly used as slang?

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:55:27

dolly is slang for tit?! Is it 'eck as like. Where do you live, margot?

ItsMargotBeaurEGGarde Mon 13-Apr-09 19:55:56

Well, dollies is boobs isn't it? or in MN parlance, Norks.

Dolly is a silly childish name for a doll. I can't believe anybody would be cruel enough to lumber a child with that name.

Joy, Teal, Storm, Skye, Amber all nice naturey thingy names.

pointydog Mon 13-Apr-09 19:56:37

I have never ever heard of dollies.

Do you mean puppies grin

TripleBYPass Mon 13-Apr-09 20:00:40

It is quite funny that you should mention Dolly as out of all of the names we have considered so far with friends and family that is the only name that hasn't received any negativity from my neck of the woods and luckily it doesn't mean TITS but it was my own grandmother and great grandmother's names so if I have a girl she will be called Dolores and therefore Dolly but thank you for pointing that out for me.

foxinsocks Mon 13-Apr-09 20:10:09

I think Dolores is fab. I have never heard Dolly being a name for a tit. How bizarre. In what context do people use it? Is it a northern thing? <blinkered larrndener>

Triple, when are you due?

pooka Mon 13-Apr-09 20:24:52

I've also never come across dolly as a word for a nork.

Am also blinkered suvvener.

tclanger Mon 13-Apr-09 20:33:33

Do like the Kitty suggestion, do you think Dolly might out grow her name though?

RUNFORLOVE Mon 13-Apr-09 20:38:03

Elsie

CrackopentheBaileys Mon 13-Apr-09 20:45:56

Hi there, I have just been having a think about this one. I love your idea of the 'thing' names btw, very sweet!
So how about:

Coral
Honey
Daisy
Poppy
Ivy
Fern
Heather
Holly
I am a big fan of the Kitty suggestion

OR

Fanny wink

TripleBYPass Mon 13-Apr-09 21:28:04

Fanny made me spit my tea out all over my keypad. I really like Frances tho!

ItsMargotBeaurEGGarde Mon 13-Apr-09 21:34:21

Maybe it's some county wickla slang. I do apologise. I call children 'chaps' and mushrooms pookies.

It's still an utterly shite name though.

I vote for Polly.

neenztwinz Mon 13-Apr-09 21:46:11

No names but just wanted to say good luck with the triplets!! I have twins and that is hard enough. Get lots of help!! grin

BiscuitStuffer Mon 13-Apr-09 21:50:33

Poppy

Nell
Annie

Plonker Mon 13-Apr-09 22:53:57

I have heard of Dolly being slang for boob - as in Dolly Partons, lol.

OP - I like your theme. And really like Estelle (and Stella). I can't think of any new that haven't already been suggested.

Oh, and Pointy - Woody could be a nn for Edward.

pointydog Tue 14-Apr-09 08:56:01

I did think of Edward Woodward - har!

TripleBYPass Tue 14-Apr-09 12:28:21

What is a Polly, Elsie or a Nell then?

VeryAnnieMary Tue 14-Apr-09 12:28:47

Dolores (Dolly)
Harriet (Hattie)

&

Esther (Essie)? (Just saw it in a newspaper & had to add)

randomname Tue 14-Apr-09 14:24:39

could have Rowan for a girl too.

Rumpel Tue 14-Apr-09 14:48:37

Dolores is lovely name and shortened to Dolly as a pet name it gives TBP DD the option of growing up into Dolores - choice. Or even Lorri. I have never heard of Dolly or dollies as titties either hmmNorks is definitley an English thing as we don't say that in Scotland! My folks used to call 'em big ears hmm?

I like the name Bay - Kirstie Allsopp called her boy Bay didn't she? You could call third DD Cherry maybe? Or Sheri (pronounced Cherry)

If you are going with nature themes you could call a DS Budd(i) as in Buddlea (butterfly bush).

Poppity Tue 14-Apr-09 15:00:58

Matilda shortened to Tilly (lamp!)

Lovely lovely names, people will always find something negative when it wasn't their idea grin.

Btw all the multiples I know love their similarities, which include similar sounding names.

pointydog Tue 14-Apr-09 21:50:23

Just thought, following on from another thread, you could name one after an island for a visual connection. Iona. Or Ailsa (after Ailsa Craig).

jkklpu Tue 14-Apr-09 21:58:53

Girls' ideas sound fine and Joshua and Rowan OK, too, but please don't call your son Bay - Morecambe will spring to most people's minds much more quickly than laurel. I guess you've done the check with your surname...

Rowan

RainbowLady Tue 14-Apr-09 22:25:01

Dolores (Dolly)
Harriet (Hattie)
and
Rebecca (Becky/Beckie)

Phoebe47 Mon 06-May-13 19:22:16

Phoebe (love that name so took it for my mumsnet moniker), Gemma and Isla.

SprinkleLiberally Mon 06-May-13 19:31:04

If you were concerned about Dolly, you could shorten to Lori.
I love Laurel for a girl but a different feel to the other names perhaps.

SprinkleLiberally Mon 06-May-13 19:34:37

Briony means vine apparently. I like that.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Mon 06-May-13 19:40:57

If you are having two 'ee' sound ending names, I think you should have all three.

And actually, if the other two are having longer full names, third needs one as well. Like Elsie would have Elisabeth. Or Miri would have Miriam. Josie would have Josephine. I can't think of anything that is a thing though.
Um... Berry? Short for Berenice, Bernadette?

ExRatty Mon 06-May-13 19:43:46

Olive

Boys

Huey Duey and Louis

ZolaBuddleia Mon 06-May-13 19:49:10

If you're looking for names that mean a thing, rather than are a thing you could have:
Stella (star as mentioned already)
Esther (sun)
Iris (rainbow)

Do it. Think of how lovely the coat pegs will be. smile

Ham69 Mon 06-May-13 19:51:53

What lovely names you've chosen and congratulations on triplets.
How about Dolly, Hattie and (Jem)ima

dinnerbeginner Mon 06-May-13 19:52:07

ZOMBIE THREAD

THink OP's decided by now! grin

HongkongDreamer Mon 06-May-13 19:52:57

Olive

BiteTheTopsOffIcedGems Mon 06-May-13 21:03:52

What did she call the babies?

Yes. I have nothing better to think about.

Lighthousekeeping Mon 06-May-13 21:05:02

Olive

MERLYPUSS Tue 07-May-13 10:32:22

Just a thought. We had the coloured thing for our twin boys that beared no resemblance to their names. In fact Thomas was green and his brother blue much tothe annoyance of a friend who said he should've nabbed the blue dummy, slippers etc being blue like Thomas the Tank engine.
Choose the names you love and assign a colour each perhaps then no one child gets the naff symbol. Our boys know if ther are 2 drinkd made theiy go for their colour cup. It IS easier when it comes to school lunch boxes etc.
Delores could also be Lorrie which I have heard. Persononally I love delores much more than any shortened versions.

musickeepsmesane Tue 07-May-13 10:33:54

Marina

Cloverer Tue 07-May-13 10:41:50

These triplets will be 4 by now grin Hopefully they have all been named!

musickeepsmesane Tue 07-May-13 10:44:59

grin grin blush wonder what they are called??

PinkApple86 Tue 07-May-13 19:03:58

I like ruby whoever said that. Fits so well with the other 2 names. What about Ivy?

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 22:24:43

Harriet, Dolores and Stella sound fab together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now