What names are considered Chavvy?

(135 Posts)
Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:04:03

Im only asking because my dd is a Jessica after her great auntie and someone said it was a chavvy name lol, she was going to be an Isobella before we were asked to do the family name thing.

DoubleBluff Sun 16-Nov-08 20:07:03

bring on the popcorn

Jessica is definitely NOT chavvy.

PottyCock Sun 16-Nov-08 20:08:09

<braces herself for yet another bunfight>

gegs73 Sun 16-Nov-08 20:10:41

Jessica is not chavvy at all!!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:11:03

No no dont start a fight! I just genuinely wondered if Jessica was a chavvy name because we are definatley not chavs lol! not asking for a list of other names, worded my title wrong!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:13:14

Its just dd goes to a poshish state school and will hopefully go to a very post secondary private and didnt want her to be called a chav because of her name! I had considered giving her a middle name she could use when older if you had all posted and said it was chavvy!

RachieB Sun 16-Nov-08 20:31:24

From reading threads on here ....

"made up" names or different spellings of names eg Jorja for Georgia ,Kloe for Chloe etc
Mercedes,Chanel etc
named after "popstars" Britney etc

all = chavtastic

Jessica is lovely and def not at all chavvy !

Lockets Sun 16-Nov-08 20:33:10

Mercedes? it is a Spanish name, not at all chavvy.

monkeymonkeymonkey Sun 16-Nov-08 20:33:41

I dont think Jessica is chavvy.

RachieB Sun 16-Nov-08 20:34:45

when obviously named after the car, and trying to be "posh" and not at all spanish ;)

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:37:02

ooh so she was being an idiot then?! I know its pathetic but she did make me worried because she basically said dd would have a hell of a time at private secondary with and I quote "a chav name like that" shock

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:38:24

I know someone called Mercedes Morphius grin

RubyT61 Sun 16-Nov-08 20:53:32

excuse me............Jorja - chavvyy? but I dress her exclusively in Boden shock
And I thought my first post would be about something important like breastfeeding or maternity rights grin

scorpio1 Sun 16-Nov-08 20:54:16

Jessica is not 'chavvy' at all.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 20:58:59

Ruby is Jorja said the same as Georgia?

shootfromthehip Sun 16-Nov-08 21:00:26

I was on a thread earlier where someone said that they thought the name Eloise was chavvy. I was shock. I understand the chavvy thing to a degree- am a teacher so have encountered many 'chavvy' or 'neddy' names but wouldn't have thought Jessica was a chav's name eitherhmm

Hulababy Sun 16-Nov-08 21:01:11

Jessica def not chavvy

RubyT61 Sun 16-Nov-08 21:02:25

yes it is watch.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:03:17

thankyou!, am happy now, can tell her mumsnet think shes talking rubbish grin

ravenAK Sun 16-Nov-08 21:03:23

Jessica wouldn't strike me as chavvy. A bit over-popular & dull to be brutally honest, but not chavvy.

Nor would Eloise - for me, it's the cover by the Damned - I know two sets of punk/gothy parents with little Eloises grin

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:05:01

ahh Ruby, Ive seen it on a list of class names on the wall on dds classroom and always wondered as dd pronounces it wrong because of her speech..

Plonker Sun 16-Nov-08 21:07:00

I have my own idea of what names would be considered chavvy ...but i'm not sharing them wink

Jessica is NOT chavvy! At all!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:08:40

I know its overpopular now Raven and given th chance again I wouldnt have chosen it. But in all fairness we knew no one called Jessica when it was suggested to us and there is still no one in dds school who is a Jessica so must just be our area lol. Suppose 5 is too late to change her name though grin

llareggub Sun 16-Nov-08 21:09:17

You should channel the Mitford girls and call Jessica Decca instead.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:11:03

she actually gets called Lucy by exh family but tbh I have absoloutley no idea why? hmm maybe they wanted a Lucy lol. She was going to be an Isobella or a Charlotte (exh choice)

llareggub Sun 16-Nov-08 21:12:45

Isabella, surely?

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:14:25

blush yes watching tv at same time

ravenAK Sun 16-Nov-08 21:16:19

Sorry Watch - I didn't read the OP properly so didn't realise she was 5 - I thought it was a possibility on a list! blush

It's a really nice name - I just come across lots of them (teacher, so could say the same for DOZENS of names which are v popular because they are lovely...)

Sorry again. <removes size 9 from gob>

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:16:39

my excuse is that I actually do know an Isobella lol but yes she was going to be an Isabella

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:17:56

haha no RAVEN dont worry about it! grin Like I said I wish we hadnt agreed to use the name, it doesnt fit her at all but 5 is too old to change it! grin

mumof3bs1more Sun 16-Nov-08 21:19:26

Jessiac is definately not chavvy imo anyways i think it isnt used that much nowdays!

mumof3bs1more Sun 16-Nov-08 21:20:20

Jessica blush woops

Miyazaki Sun 16-Nov-08 21:23:32

If you don't like Jessica - you could go with Decca. Can't get much less chavvy than named after a mitford.

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:25:21

exh family call her lucy locket, am still trying to figure out how you get that from Jessica hmm

asdmumandteacher Sun 16-Nov-08 21:30:05

Jessica is not chavvy

Lauren
Leanne
Stacy
Kelly
Lisa

are tho imo(sorry),<waiting for massive backlash>

chequersandchess Sun 16-Nov-08 21:34:16

Surnames for first names are quite chavvy I guess:

- Taylor
- Tyler
- Jackson
-Bailey

that kinda thing.

asdmumandteacher Sun 16-Nov-08 21:37:12

totally agree!

A friend of my parents has just named their daughter Anderson...whats that all about?

Sidge Sun 16-Nov-08 21:47:05

Jessica is not chavvy at all.

However names such as these are:

Demi-Leigh
Chardonnay
Kayden/Jayden/Brayden
Kayleigh-Jade

asdmumandteacher Sun 16-Nov-08 21:48:24

lol at Demi-Leigh

Sooooooo truegrin

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:51:20

hehe I have a friend with a Kayden and a relative called Jaydon grin and yes that actually was my response also!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Sun 16-Nov-08 21:56:34

The Jaydon I know is 14 as well and has a sky, storm and a star in his class so maybe 14 years ago was a time for unusual names lol

asdmumandteacher Sun 16-Nov-08 21:58:17

Perhaps when Paula Yates was having her brood...

Nancy66 Sun 16-Nov-08 22:23:49

my interpretation of chavvy is: made up names (Kaydon, zia, shyanna) surnames as first names (Taylor, Bailey, shannon) anything that sounds like a character from an American soap (Ashlee, Troy, Jayden) and finally traditional names spelt in some illiterate way: Genifer, Symon, Mellanee etc....

educatingRia Sun 16-Nov-08 22:36:11

Robson Green's son is called Tyler/Taylor I think, because it was tradition in his part of Newcastle to use mothers maiden name as PFB's first christian name. I expect that goes back to the industrial revolution, rather than modern chav.hmm

In reply to OP, Jessica is not chavvy IMO. If DS3 had been a DD he would have has Jessie somewhere in his name (my DGs name - just Jessie, not Jessica), maybe even Jessi-Raehmm

I wonder if "chav" depends on where you are nationally?

educatingRia Sun 16-Nov-08 22:37:08

blush Jessie. Not a dodgy spelling.

Megglevache Sun 16-Nov-08 22:40:42

To quote another Mumsnetter anything followed by a hyphen and then...
- Lee
-Leigh
-Febreze
-Maee

grin

Umlellala Sun 16-Nov-08 22:42:30

Eek, my ds has a surname as a first name wot is 'anglicised' (ie spelt wrong) <adds the burberry babygro to ds's xmas list>

Watchtheworld, is the Sky in Jaydon's class a boy or girl..?

mrsruffallo Sun 16-Nov-08 22:45:33

<hides thread>
I can't bear this kind of nonsense

llynnnn Sun 16-Nov-08 22:47:05

does anyone else think Lauren sounds chavvy? was considering that for the next dd!

educatingRia Sun 16-Nov-08 22:47:34

LOL at febrezegrin

blush at Mae (an alternative to "-"Rae here) BTW "Rae" was from a 1950's girls book I read once (DM won it in the church prize-giving when she was a girl in the '50s)

Umlellala Sun 16-Nov-08 22:49:24

Lauren - Catherine Tate?
Won't be remembered in a few years IMO

educatingRia Sun 16-Nov-08 22:52:12

surely Lauren isn't?

Candlewax Sun 16-Nov-08 22:54:48

I met a woman called Lauren yesterday who was aged 43 years. No way on this earth would I call her chavy!

ilovemyflipflops Mon 17-Nov-08 08:40:37

Jessica is not a chavvy name, i can tell you the ultimate chav name, whilst at the zoo recently i heard someone shout....

"CHARDONNAY get over here now"

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 08:43:24

oooh you'll be hung drawn and quartered for this !

I agree, age is a very important factor. A 17 yr old Ruby would be from quite a Bohemian family I think. A two year old Ruby would be much more ordinary imo.

IMo, any thing with a hyphen. Even nice names can be 'chavved up' such as Sophie-May. In fact, for bonus chav points, spell May 'Mae'.

Anything with an unnecessary k. Like kasey or kacie. mackenzie, makenna, mikayla, kayla,,,,,,,,,,,#

but this is just my opinion. of course.

jessica wouldn't be my cup of tea, bit harsh sounding, but like Rebecca, it is a 'classic' name.

some names, like leah are popular throughout the classes i think. the fact that some people snobs would expect to use silly names go and use nice names annoys some people i think. a bit like 'how dare you use a sensible name like leah?" so from then on in their mind, the 'snob' might think of leah as being a chav name.

just to make clear, imo, leah and sophie lovely names and not chav at all.

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 08:47:26

just read the whole thread properly, as i should have done originally, and to be brutally honest, Isabella spelt Isobella would tweak my chav radar more than many other supposedly chav names.

Isobel or Isabel, but always Isabella. Isobel is the scottish version.

I loved the name Bethany when i was pg and I was told no, no, no. I liked it and I still like it.

Sometimes a perfectly sensible name such as Tracey becomes tarnished somehow.

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 08:53:30

ps again. I know a woman with a Bailey, and she's quite posh. It really surprised me that her dd was Bailey. She was a bit disconnected from popular culture though. eg, she'd No idea that stella mcCartney's dd was also called bailey, said "who's stella mcCartney?", so she wasn't the type to pick up subtle clues iykwim. also, she seemed to think that she had invented the name herself, had no idea that it had peaked in the usa in the early 90s. she got cross when somebody named their dog bailey as they were copying her hmm

but her dd will be alright. won't suffer for being called bailey i'm sure. funnily enough, she called her second dd a name off buffy the vamipire slayer, but had never heard of or watched that programme.

ilovemyflipflops Mon 17-Nov-08 09:05:24

At least her chav named children will be able to buy real Burberry lol

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 09:07:24

ooooh no way, not this woman!! she'd be more likely to dress them in her own 1970s yellow patchwork dresses shock

I don't think Jessica is chavvy.

I like Mae as a first name tho blush

My DD name is not chavvy either lol

Anna8888 Mon 17-Nov-08 09:16:20

I think any luxury brand name used as a first name is chavvy.

Mercedes is only OK as a first name if you are Spanish/Hispanic.

Anna8888 Mon 17-Nov-08 09:17:39

I think Lauren has associations with Ralph Lauren = luxury brand = chavvy.

asdmumandteacher Mon 17-Nov-08 09:20:13

Its just my opinion but i do think Lauren, Leigh, Leanne, Lisa are chavvy names..ooo and Danielle too (as well as made up,and hyphenated names)

But i don't like names like Isobel, Imogen, Isabelle, Eleanor for the opposite reason

i dunno its maybe cos i have taught so many of them...i am pretty silly really

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 17-Nov-08 10:08:18

umlelalla the sky is a boy

FiveDollarShake Mon 17-Nov-08 10:27:34

Newsmonger- Im Leah and I'm not a Chav wink
I dont think I am anyway.....I dont wear tracksuits and gold sovereign rings anyway grin

Lotster Mon 17-Nov-08 14:19:42

Jessica is definately not chavvy! A lovely, prety name.

Mercedes however really is! Shame, as it originates from the Spanish title of the Virgin Mary, María de las Mercedes, meaning "Mary of Mercies". But thanks to Hollyoaks, and anyone yelling out "Oi Mercaaaaydeees, come ere!" (*) at their offspring in the street, it is now in the realm of chav... grin

*(see also "Parissss!" & "Chewlseeee!"

sweetkitty Mon 17-Nov-08 14:24:52

Just spotted my DD3's name on here sad I didn't think it was chavvy being a village from the New Testament.

I think anything that is made up or a "unique" spelling is just chavvish.

southeatsastras Mon 17-Nov-08 14:25:27

chavvy is an awful word.

was just going to add how I wish people weren't so free with the use of chavvy or chav - it's lazy and boring

sweetkitty Mon 17-Nov-08 14:27:18

Sorry up here in Scotland it's not chav it's ned.

What's the proper word then "common"? grin

notnowbernard Mon 17-Nov-08 14:28:58

I don't really like the term 'Chavvy'

I wonder why posters don't do more searches for old threads for these sort of topics

It just gets regurgitated ALL OF THE TIME

it's not so much using a word to describe 'common' or whatever, it's the obssession with what is perceived to be 'common' which irritates
and for what it's worth, have some confidence in your own choices - you like a name, then pissing well use it ! sheesh

solo Mon 17-Nov-08 14:31:00

Not reading the whole thing here, but Mercedes cars were named after the daughter of one of the partners or financiers of the car company. It is a proper girls name originating from Spain and is not a bit 'chavvy'.

hullygully Mon 17-Nov-08 14:32:17

I have a friend (chav) with three sons. First is called Hungarian Whistlestop Toadstool, the second is Joaquim Bananahead and the third Dave. I was frankly amazed but didn't comment in case it was rude. I think a lot of people on this thread are very rude.

bamboostalks Mon 17-Nov-08 14:37:46

These sort of threads always end up hurting feelings. No one likes their name being associated with something that is supposedly cheap. No one deliberately names their child in a cheap way do they?

sammybeth Mon 17-Nov-08 14:37:56

Jessica is def not chavvy.Newsmonger you said you were told no to bethany, is that because it was thought as chavvy? I hope not!!!!

bamboostalks Mon 17-Nov-08 14:51:55

My last post sounds a bit pious I think. I didn't mean it to. Some names are ridiculous but Jessica chavy...come on!

Spaceman Mon 17-Nov-08 14:57:51

Names that sound like surnames are Chavvy:

Macenzie
Madisson
Courtney
Bailey

hullygully Mon 17-Nov-08 15:34:31

That is rude. It might not be quite as rude if at least the were spelt correctly.

mickeylou Mon 17-Nov-08 15:38:17

Jessica definately not a chav name! your friend sounds interesting to say such a mean thing to you - what are her children called i wonder?

hullygully Mon 17-Nov-08 15:39:53

Mrs Potato Head and Colonel Spam Fritter III

BouncingTurtle Mon 17-Nov-08 15:42:46

FGS, what is the point of this thread?

No Jessica is not 'chavvy'. But we don't need to know what names are 'chavvy' because there are no 'chavvy' names, it's just people's very personal opinions of them.

Eloise is not 'chavvy' it is an old french name.

I would never, ever have associated the name Jessica with "chavvy". Definately not.

Someone asked about Lauren? (sorry cant remember who) I think its a beautiful name.

Never really got the whole "chavvy" name but was in doctors recently and heard someone shout "Shakira!!!" to their little one.............. grin

So sorry for hijack but was going to start something similiar last week and ask do you think Shannon is a chavvy name?

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 15:59:38

I think the 'no, no, no' to Bethany was only because Sarah-Lou Platt from Coronation street called her dd a nice name. BUT then on coronation street, I think she wanted Britney and gail talked her into Bethany, so maybe the point was that she almost got a chav name and then gail steered her away from it.

I think it's lovely. i didn't pick it in the end, but the only other child i know called bethany, her dad is a vicar!! so maybe i should have insisted. but ah well, so many names and only one or two babies to name!

sweetkitty Mon 17-Nov-08 16:11:59

Newsmonger - my 4 month old DD3 is called Bethany, I love it but did think about Corrie but no one has ever mentioned it and if they did I would say "I don't watch soaps, how chavvy!" grin Anyway Sarah-Lou scuppered off to Milan with Bethany grin

Scarletibis Mon 17-Nov-08 16:15:29

names that are actually wines.

or clothes or cars

mercedes being the obvious exception

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 16:23:21

It's a beautiful name Sweetkitty. I would have said the same thing! I didn't know or follow what was going on in corrie, so I allowed myself to be talked out of it, on the sayso of a corrie fan?!?! sounds mad now.

sweetkitty Mon 17-Nov-08 16:27:39

See this is why I advise everyone not to discuss probable name choices in RL (MN is of course allowed) as someone will always say "yuck I know so and so with that name" or say something that could put you off a name.

Much better to keep your name to yourself and announce it once the baby is born, people can't try and sway you then grin

My Mother when DD2 was born "where did you get that from, I'll have to write it down, wait until I get a pen, how are you spelling that then? I'll forget it"

TheNewsMonger Mon 17-Nov-08 16:31:03

very true, my other name that my dd was nearly called, a colleague said "that is my goldfish's name, cool name for a goldfish.

Get a pen for Bethany!?!?! It's a place in Israel isn't it? I'd have said that for Sheherazade!!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 17-Nov-08 16:54:32

Notnow I didnt search for threads because I wanted to know if anyone considered MY dds name chavvy so I doubt previous threads would have covered that. Like I said early I worded the title wrong!

Spaceman Mon 17-Nov-08 17:00:25

Was that a deliberate spelling mistake in your response then hullygully?

sweetkitty Mon 17-Nov-08 17:02:28

No Bethany is DD3, this was DD2's name which is very uncommon, my Dad still can't pronounce it sad

When I told her DD2's she still got it wrong on the card, now Bethaineee would have been chavvy (yes it is a town in Israel dating from the New Testament)

nobodysfool Mon 17-Nov-08 17:04:07

Why has any name got to be chavvy-surely it's the people that are chavvy not the name?

Umlellala Mon 17-Nov-08 17:22:42

Hurrah for boys called Sky! <does a little dance that her boy won't be the only one>

Curious, where in the country is this?

PS Jessica is quite versatile IMO - can imagine posh Jessicah and also 'Oi, JESSIKA GET BACK 'ERE'

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Mon 17-Nov-08 17:30:36

In England and mines a Jessicah grin

rolledhedgehog Mon 17-Nov-08 18:27:18

Someone on this thread has said my name is chavvy! I can't believe any little children are called Kelly these days are they?

It was unusual in the early 70's!!!

RachieB Mon 17-Nov-08 22:10:17

I love the names Bethany,Maddison and Lauren

if that makes me a chav name lover ......... grin

frecklyspeckly Mon 17-Nov-08 22:36:28

Equally,if you live in our area and DON'T call your child one (or possibly all at once) of these names are you commiting an unacceptable act. They are ALL called these surname type names!!!

for the record my own kid's names are short and traditional - husband insisting on'not saddling them with a chav name or one which will date!!'

So to get to the point do you all live in area's where these names are very rare then?

(Jessica beautiful name btw).

Oh and also do you think every child grows into their own name - as my mum says??

frecklyspeckly Mon 17-Nov-08 22:41:13

God! I just used an apostrophe in wrong place on a middle class thread. I will get blown to bits!!

AND I admitted we live in a chav area!!!

I called my kids middle class names, I am trying to fit in! Please let me stay!!!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Tue 18-Nov-08 11:18:58

pmsl Freckly, when Im buggered then because I am middle class and my punctuation and grammar and spelling is awful!

Watchtheworldcomealivetonight Tue 18-Nov-08 11:36:05

well even not when, do you see my point grin!

IllegallyBrunette Tue 18-Nov-08 11:41:28

As someone else has already pointed out, it is not a name that makes someone chavvy.

As for the idiot that said that Lauren is chavvy because of Ralph Lauren, how many times have you ever heard Lauren pronounced the same as the Lauren in Ralph Lauren ??

frazzledoldbag34 Tue 18-Nov-08 12:54:35

I knew a couple of very posh girls at Uni called "Jess".
And wasn't one of Prince Williams ex's called 'Jecca'.

Don't worry about Jessica being chavvy - it's not at all. It IS quite a popular name, but then so are Isabella and Lucy.
Tell whoever said this to you to get their facts straight!

lovelysongbirdfliesaway Tue 18-Nov-08 13:42:57

i like the name jessica.

hate the term chav for anything and find it quite offensive.

but i always get the urge to burst into song when i meet jessica, with,

'Jessie paint your pictures about how it's gonna be
By now I should know better, your dreams are never free
But tell me all about our little trailer by the sea
Jessie you can always sell any dream to me
Oh Jessie, you can always sell any dream to me'

although every now and again i do burst into song, suppose i'm a little on the strange side. lol

educatingRia Tue 18-Nov-08 13:46:17

love that songsmile

lovelysongbirdfliesaway Tue 18-Nov-08 13:56:56

me too smile
today however
i have been singing

One day I'll fly away
Leave all this to yesterday
What more could your Love do for me?
When will Love be through with me?

Why live life from dream to dream?
And dread the day when dreaming ends

One day I'll fly away
Leave all this to yesterday
Why live life from dream to dream?
And dread the day when dreaming ends

One day I'll fly away
Fly, fly away

perhaps i will sing something cheerier this pm smile

<goes off to search you tube>

Megglevache Tue 18-Nov-08 15:24:40

Hey Frazzled. Prince harry's gf is called Chelsey grin

lottiejenkins Tue 18-Nov-08 19:16:00

Mercedes wasnt named after a car! The car was named Mercedes after the daughter of the guy who made the car!

I love that Jessie song...........it was written about Sarah Jessica Parker you know!! wink Joshua Kadison used to go out with her............
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iElty90IPiw

falcon Tue 18-Nov-08 20:22:56

Anything ending in Lee/Leigh or worst of all imho McKenzie.

EmmaDilemma Tue 18-Nov-08 20:26:38

I have to disagree with Spaceman that "Names that sound like surnames are Chavvy". The practice of using surnames as first names comes from 19th century, albeit to indicate a child belongs to a particular family. (And this probably no longer the case). Names like Kelly & Shannon orginally started as surnames.

ilovemydog Tue 18-Nov-08 20:38:39

I was thinking of naming DD 'Amarone' shock

EmmaDilemma Tue 18-Nov-08 21:04:38

Is Amarone the new (but red)Chardonnay? wink My SIL choose Epernay as a middle name, guess she's never seen Kath & Kim !

ilovemydog Tue 18-Nov-08 21:23:08

Possibly. Barolo just didn't seem right!

lljkk Tue 18-Nov-08 21:30:29

I think Bailey is fine, and the few Jayden's I have met came from arty-cool families. Shannon is quite pretty, imho. I was bullied by someone named Jessica in school, so personally could never like that name.

DH suggests the following as the ultimate in Chav names:
Cider, Stella, White Lightning, Tesco Value, Lidl, Aldi, Smirnoff, Happy (when your surname is Auer, etc)...

lunamoon2 Tue 18-Nov-08 23:35:05

Anything "made up", which quickly becomes used by almost everyone within a 2 mile radius, and hence in their bid to find an "unusual" name parents end up with very common names.
Anything with a hyphen particularly a made up name with an over used middle name (misspelt for extra "individuality") eg Braidon-Rae. Extra chav includes using a shortened version of a name, hyphenated again with a phonetic spelling and for good measure named after a brand of something or after a celebrity.
eg Tiger-BillyRae Stella,
Bob-Jow Nike
Chardonnay-Kloe Jordon

Woohoo one of mines has finally made it as a "chav" name. I'm sooooo excited and proud!! wink.

Go Stella!

jeee Wed 19-Nov-08 12:22:23

Just found out that a boy in DS year at school is called Beckham. Not that I'm judging....

i love the name stella, but we got a Lucy instead lol.

to the op jessica isn;t a chav name at all, although maybe thats ebcasue i associate the name wiht my 18 year old cousin who attended private school, lives in a large house in alderley edge and now goes to a 'good' uni and is the politest, and most well mannered people i have ever met. shes also very pretty. as i am sure your dd is. grin

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 19-Nov-08 12:39:43

I'm giggling here at "Lidl" - I think that's fabulous. grin

Would also be voting for 'Argos' and 'Asda"
or even 'Taylajade-Argos' and 'Asda-Leigh'.
Tee Hee.
How horrid and snobby am I??

Epernay (as in Kath and Kinm) is also a corker! Hysterical.

My DH wants to call our next child 'Shiraz'. I think he's joking grin - hopes! (he's a wine bore). Anyway he's got no chance.

TheNewsMonger Wed 19-Nov-08 14:52:41

Shannon is considered a teensy bit chav in Ireland too, and that's because it's route to popularity bypassed Ireland, and it boomeranged back to ireland as an Australian/American name.

Clodagh, the name of another Irish river is perceived completely differently in Ireland. Because it never 'floated' abroad. I really hope it never does.

educatingRia Wed 19-Nov-08 16:05:56

I love Clodagh - DS1 would have been onesmile

bikerunski Wed 19-Nov-08 16:10:22

Oooh, wait until I tell my sister that one of her DCs has a chavvy name. She lives abroad and lives in dread of being considered at all "pikey".

Ooops I forgot to answer the original question! blush

IMO Jessica isn't considered chavy or lower class. It strikes me as a timeless, classic English name.

Cloudhopper Wed 19-Nov-08 19:02:05

Who cares? I think my dds names are probably considered 'chavvy' (hate that word) by some, and some of my favourites are too. At first when I saw dd1s name on mumsnet described as "v chavvy IMHO" I was gutted. Then I grew up and realized not to take some anonymous person's opinion too seriously. Lliving in London there is a good mix of bohemian names, so I don't worry about it any more. I love her name and she is a gorgeous little girl. End of story.

rosieroseanna Tue 07-Sep-10 20:28:05

Kevon
Jevon
Tyrece
Cameron
Tyler
Taylor
Jade
Bailey
Chelsea
Reece
Riley
Paige
Caitlin
Lauren
Leigh
Michelle
Tracey
Sharon lol!

BuntyPenfold Tue 07-Sep-10 21:19:14

rosie my list is the same
plus
Brydon
Jayden
Kayden
Peyton etc

scottishmummy Tue 07-Sep-10 21:30:42

whats the point of this?lame attempt to cause aggro. i dont actually think you care about any names

Anything spelled differently to how it should be. Anything obviously after a pop or film star of the time. Anything after the place of conception.

I'll think of more grin

Ninjacat Tue 07-Sep-10 21:48:54

I see the class war is back on the menu.

jjones Wed 08-Sep-10 00:30:08

I know a mum at ds2's old school with 3 dc, Pasqual girl, Bailie boy and Darcie girl. Her name was susan and her dh was steve total opposite. ds also had a girl in his class called Kali-Chi with a double barrel surname.

CheerfulYank Wed 08-Sep-10 01:52:00

All the girl's in DS' preschool class strike me as a bit "different":

Adesyn (pr Addison of course)
Prairie
Piper (the most "normal" of the bunch)
Elexa
Ariannah (sort of pretty)
and of course Madison. I think it's illegal to have a US class that does not contain a Madison.

The two boys are called Joe and Sam.

mathanxiety Fri 10-Sep-10 20:44:37

Jessica may not be c....y but I think it's very 70s and sickly sweet, a Barbie name. Belongs with Samantha.

chaya5738 Sun 12-Sep-10 13:03:49

Jessica definitely not chavy.

Bethany is lovely. I had completely forgotten about that name but it is now on my list! Thanks poster!

I shouldn't really contribute to the list of chavy name but can't help myself because I hate these names so much:

- Jayden
- Maddison.

Yuck! I do like Madeleine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now