Poppy?

(77 Posts)

Is it a dog's name??? I really like the name but made the mistake of telling DH that a lot of dogs have this name and now he doesn't like it!!!

Dottoressa Fri 17-Oct-08 22:16:57

Lots of Poppys here. It reminds me of Floppy in the Oxford Reading Tree!

cupcakesinthesnow Fri 17-Oct-08 22:29:17

In fact the more I think about it, Poppy is a name that would never imagine giving to a hairy, slobering, drooling, woofing dog. It's a delicate, pretty individual name and does not conjure up images of a dog no matter how pegigree the breed!

Bubbaloo Fri 17-Oct-08 22:35:18

I love the name Poppy and that's what ds1 would have been called if he was a girl.
I also know a cat called Poppy but wouldn't be bothered about the pet association at all.
We ended up calling ds1 Oscar and I know at least 3 cats with the same namewink.

No5 Fri 17-Oct-08 22:39:33

my neighbors dog called poppy, and friend got daughter called poppy.
seems very populat lately, know a few poppys aged 5under

fizzpops Sat 18-Oct-08 14:21:53

I have to say I never understand that whole 'cute when a child but doesn't work for them when they're older thing'.

When they are older then people will know a Poppy who is 30, 40, 50 etc.

All the so called old men's names for boys were once the names of a whole generation of babies. We associate names with what who we know with them. No-one is born a pensioner!

I think these days people are getting scared about naming their children perfectly nice names that they love because of what they think other people might say. IMO sometimes this is a good thing but I personally feel bored by some names I hear although I would never say so. It is more important that you and DH love the name as that is what she will pick up on.

I have heard my name described on here as more for a little girl - well I am 35 so to me that is hilarious!

I have to confess that I have a Poppy though so maybe I am biased... blush

fizzpops Sat 18-Oct-08 14:23:13

Ooops 'with what who we know'

I previewed that too! Sort of takes the wind out of my sails...

Thanks fizzpops and everyone. I think I'll see what she looks like when she comes out! We have two alternatives anyway and only 11 days to wait (all being well!!)

meandmyjoe Sat 18-Oct-08 18:45:47

I love Poppy, i God forbid I have any more children I would keep it in mind.

dinny Sat 18-Oct-08 18:55:17

love it

unfortunately it is my mil's dog's name

caspercat Sat 18-Oct-08 21:20:03

'Tis my daughters name (Poppy Grace) so slightly biased, but i really think it's a gorgeous name. Anytime anyone asks what dd's name is, without fail we get a "what a lovely name", " such a pretty name" etc. As DH & I both work in the veterinary profession, we've met LOADS of animals called Poppy but it never put us off. In fact, we'd have practically no names to choose from if we discounted all animal names!!
Also, i don't get this "can't imagine it when they're older" or "not really suitable for a barrister" rubbish. I'm sure there's a newsreader called Tulip somewhere!!
Sorry to have harped on - i just say go for it if it feels right xxxx

caspercat Sat 18-Oct-08 21:21:01

'Tis my daughters name (Poppy Grace) so slightly biased, but i really think it's a gorgeous name. Anytime anyone asks what dd's name is, without fail we get a "what a lovely name", " such a pretty name" etc. As DH & I both work in the veterinary profession, we've met LOADS of animals called Poppy but it never put us off. In fact, we'd have practically no names to choose from if we discounted all animal names!!
Also, i don't get this "can't imagine it when they're older" or "not really suitable for a barrister" rubbish. I'm sure there's a newsreader called Tulip somewhere!!
Sorry to have harped on - i just say go for it if it feels right xxxx

Ok, Poppy is now growing on DH after reading this thread, thanks ladies! What would you put as a middle name with it? Our surname is Evans.

fizzpops Sun 19-Oct-08 07:15:33

Middle names:

Charlotte
Annabel/la
Isobel
Rachel
Miranda
Amelia

Grace is lovely too caspercat.

No reason for these particularly just ones I like. 'A' endings possibly do not flow as well.

Do you have any other girl's name choices you like but not enough for first name.

MingMingtheWonderPet Sun 19-Oct-08 16:47:34

As mentioned above our DD was called Poppy for a couple of days before we settled on another name, she was Poppy Charlotte which I still think is lovely xx

Stars22 Mon 20-Oct-08 20:55:52

I love the name Poppy. (altho i do no a cat and a dog called poppy)
Poppy Marie
Poppy Charlotte
Poppy Elizabeth
Poppy May
Poppy Elissa
Poppy Eliza
Poppy Isabella
Poppy Siobhan
Poppy Grace

Thanks for all your suggestions! The jury is still out ... smile

hunkermunker Mon 20-Oct-08 23:13:49

Her initials would be PE.

As in Physical Education.

Just something to bear in mind.

overthehill Mon 20-Oct-08 23:16:59

My dd has 2 friends called Molly, which is very popular here, and when I took our dog out today there were two dogs called Molly! I personally don't know any dogs called Poppy, but I do agree with those who point out that a lot of pets have 'human' names. If you like it, please choose it!

Bathsheba Tue 21-Oct-08 07:21:03

I have a Poppy Charlotte and she is VERY much a Poppy. No one has ever said to me "thats a dog's name", but someone did say that to my Mum once about her name (she is called Sheena) and also a girl I used to know who was called Petra...

I definately don't adhere to the "never amount to anything because of her name" thing - Trust me, our Poppy will do absolutely anything she wants to do with her life.

She's 4.5 now and has had absolutely no problems because of her name - everyone always remembers it and always remembers me because I'm "Poppy's Mum".

I've never met another one where we are (NE Scotland) but I've just been to Center Parcs and there were a lot of Poppys there..!!

fizzpops Tue 21-Oct-08 08:17:02

The initials shouldn't be anything more than a mildly interesting aside. Most people may notice but not even comment.

By this reasoning you could not have a Poppy A, Poppy C, Poppy G, Poppy H, Poppy I, Poppy J, Poppy M, Poppy O, Poppy R, Poppy S or Poppy T - or indeed any other name starting with P and these initials.

As long as they are not offensive or embarassing why worry?

Tigerschick Tue 21-Oct-08 08:28:13

I love the name Poppy, DH vetoed tho, said it was flakey (like someone else's DH on here). I knew a Poppy at school (mid-80s) who was lovely.

WRT middle names, I'd only avoid one beginning with E or I. Bearing in mind your surname ... PIE or PEE is perhaps a bit much.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 08:29:21

I love Poppy but clashed with our surname, however for a while DD got called poppy anyway so it has become her second middle name grin

Love poppy!! fab name!! but i love flower names wink.

Love, love, love Poppy smile Wouls have used it for my daughter but we have a wierd surname beginning with a P (damn the DH)

123rose Wed 05-Aug-09 04:43:18

What about Poppy Lily?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now