Poppy?

(77 Posts)

Is it a dog's name??? I really like the name but made the mistake of telling DH that a lot of dogs have this name and now he doesn't like it!!!

Helsbels4 Fri 17-Oct-08 11:36:36

My rabbit was called Poppy and she was lovely! There was a Poppy when I was at school (quite some time ago now) and I always really liked it. It's lovely!

Bubbaluv Fri 17-Oct-08 11:44:46

I love it, but only as a nickname. Is it short for Phillipa?

PuppyMonkey Fri 17-Oct-08 11:45:15

My niece (15 years) is called poppy. She is lovely too!

Pinkjenny Fri 17-Oct-08 11:47:43

I love Poppy, but dh vetoed it, said it was a bit to 'flaky' for his liking. I still love it. I did have a friend with a dog called Poppy though.

lizziemun Fri 17-Oct-08 11:58:35

I love it, but it won't go with our surname sad.

hanaflower Fri 17-Oct-08 12:07:22

Friends' baby born last Sunday is Poppy Skye. I think it's lovely.

sammybeth Fri 17-Oct-08 12:09:20

Love it

Liffey Fri 17-Oct-08 14:12:58

I really like this. I almost called my daughter Penelope with the intention of letting it 'evolve' into nn Poppy!

I wouldn't feel comfortable with just poppy on the birth cert though. But that's just me.

Poppy Skye is gorgeous. Love it.

Pollyanna Fri 17-Oct-08 14:14:07

love it. my dd has it as a middle name and we use it. (she has a high court judge first name should she want it later...)

Cheeseandseveredfingersarnie Fri 17-Oct-08 14:19:16

i love it but wasnt allowed to use it as dh has auntie poppy that for some reason family doesnt get on with.

cikecaka Fri 17-Oct-08 14:32:55

my dd is 20 months and goes to a music group most weeks and one of the little girls there is called Poppy. Its a fabulous name and one of the few names Dd can pronounce!!

Tortington Fri 17-Oct-08 14:33:36

every oher kid is poppy, daisy, lilly, dandelion

MingMingtheWonderPet Fri 17-Oct-08 14:35:02

We called our daughter Poppy for 2 days, but I decided that I personally couldn't get the 'dog name' connotation out of my head. Also my Dad is notorious for shortening any name, and Pops just didn't do it for me.
Poppy is now my beautiful DD's middle name, and I do love it, but at least it never gets shortened.

Liffey Fri 17-Oct-08 16:20:17

Well, I know loads of LIlys a few Rosies, one Daisy. Don't know a single Poppy. I think it's the rarest of the flower names. FWIW.

oopsacoconut Fri 17-Oct-08 17:32:00

Our dd is Poppaea (pop-ay-uh) a roman name from our fav opera but is called Poppy by granparents and sometimes us. We always correct anyone who dares call her Pops or Popsy

Hulababy Fri 17-Oct-08 17:38:50

It is a very pretty name.

I don't know of anyone, young or old, called Poppy - so def not that well used round here (Sheffield)

Pinkchampagne Fri 17-Oct-08 17:42:49

Loads of them round here! Everyone seemed to be naming their baby Poppy after Jamie Oliver had a Poppy. Cute name though, and only know of one dog with the name!

RachieB Fri 17-Oct-08 19:31:28

its my mums dogs name ............. lol

my friend has a baby called Poppy

i just think ..... all these Daisy,Poppy type names.... when they are older ...... cute when little, not so great when aged 30 lol

x

Damn. Looks like Poppy is a no then... sadI just dont want to run the risk that she'll be teased for having a dogs name!!

squatchette Fri 17-Oct-08 21:13:49

I love it know a little girl called this at tots group (friends mum has a dog called it too though ). When i was a Girl Guide we had patrols named after flowers and i named mine poppy,so have always liked it.

cupcakesinthesnow Fri 17-Oct-08 21:26:56

I know 2 poppy's who are both under 2 years old.

I don't know any dogs called Poppy and personally, even if I did, it would not put me off calling a child that name. After all they are only dogs! Lots of dogs are called 'Ben' and 'Max' and if a person chooses to give their dog a human name I don;t think it devalues the name.

If you wanted to call your child 'Rover' or 'Tibbles' then that is another issue but Poppy is NOT a dogs name imo.

Thanks Cupcakes! smile
I still like it. Our alternative is nice but its a popular name and Poppy's just a bit more unusual....Oh I dunno!!!

dinkymum Fri 17-Oct-08 21:42:33

I really like Poppy it was one of my top faves if this bump had been a DD!
Theres a boy name I liked when we were having our DD but DH said it was a dogs name because his aunty had a dog caled the name I suggested... Then suggested BEN! hmm love the name Ben but you see where I'm coming from right!! lol
I even know a dog called Kevin!

MingMingtheWonderPet Fri 17-Oct-08 22:13:35

Guess the whole pet thing is a weird way to exclude names.
My mum's cat is calle Sophie
My cats are called Abigail and Harriet (their names when we got them from Cats Protection League, we call them Abbey and harry)

Dottoressa Fri 17-Oct-08 22:16:57

Lots of Poppys here. It reminds me of Floppy in the Oxford Reading Tree!

cupcakesinthesnow Fri 17-Oct-08 22:29:17

In fact the more I think about it, Poppy is a name that would never imagine giving to a hairy, slobering, drooling, woofing dog. It's a delicate, pretty individual name and does not conjure up images of a dog no matter how pegigree the breed!

Bubbaloo Fri 17-Oct-08 22:35:18

I love the name Poppy and that's what ds1 would have been called if he was a girl.
I also know a cat called Poppy but wouldn't be bothered about the pet association at all.
We ended up calling ds1 Oscar and I know at least 3 cats with the same namewink.

No5 Fri 17-Oct-08 22:39:33

my neighbors dog called poppy, and friend got daughter called poppy.
seems very populat lately, know a few poppys aged 5under

fizzpops Sat 18-Oct-08 14:21:53

I have to say I never understand that whole 'cute when a child but doesn't work for them when they're older thing'.

When they are older then people will know a Poppy who is 30, 40, 50 etc.

All the so called old men's names for boys were once the names of a whole generation of babies. We associate names with what who we know with them. No-one is born a pensioner!

I think these days people are getting scared about naming their children perfectly nice names that they love because of what they think other people might say. IMO sometimes this is a good thing but I personally feel bored by some names I hear although I would never say so. It is more important that you and DH love the name as that is what she will pick up on.

I have heard my name described on here as more for a little girl - well I am 35 so to me that is hilarious!

I have to confess that I have a Poppy though so maybe I am biased... blush

fizzpops Sat 18-Oct-08 14:23:13

Ooops 'with what who we know'

I previewed that too! Sort of takes the wind out of my sails...

Thanks fizzpops and everyone. I think I'll see what she looks like when she comes out! We have two alternatives anyway and only 11 days to wait (all being well!!)

meandmyjoe Sat 18-Oct-08 18:45:47

I love Poppy, i God forbid I have any more children I would keep it in mind.

dinny Sat 18-Oct-08 18:55:17

love it

unfortunately it is my mil's dog's name

caspercat Sat 18-Oct-08 21:20:03

'Tis my daughters name (Poppy Grace) so slightly biased, but i really think it's a gorgeous name. Anytime anyone asks what dd's name is, without fail we get a "what a lovely name", " such a pretty name" etc. As DH & I both work in the veterinary profession, we've met LOADS of animals called Poppy but it never put us off. In fact, we'd have practically no names to choose from if we discounted all animal names!!
Also, i don't get this "can't imagine it when they're older" or "not really suitable for a barrister" rubbish. I'm sure there's a newsreader called Tulip somewhere!!
Sorry to have harped on - i just say go for it if it feels right xxxx

caspercat Sat 18-Oct-08 21:21:01

'Tis my daughters name (Poppy Grace) so slightly biased, but i really think it's a gorgeous name. Anytime anyone asks what dd's name is, without fail we get a "what a lovely name", " such a pretty name" etc. As DH & I both work in the veterinary profession, we've met LOADS of animals called Poppy but it never put us off. In fact, we'd have practically no names to choose from if we discounted all animal names!!
Also, i don't get this "can't imagine it when they're older" or "not really suitable for a barrister" rubbish. I'm sure there's a newsreader called Tulip somewhere!!
Sorry to have harped on - i just say go for it if it feels right xxxx

Ok, Poppy is now growing on DH after reading this thread, thanks ladies! What would you put as a middle name with it? Our surname is Evans.

fizzpops Sun 19-Oct-08 07:15:33

Middle names:

Charlotte
Annabel/la
Isobel
Rachel
Miranda
Amelia

Grace is lovely too caspercat.

No reason for these particularly just ones I like. 'A' endings possibly do not flow as well.

Do you have any other girl's name choices you like but not enough for first name.

MingMingtheWonderPet Sun 19-Oct-08 16:47:34

As mentioned above our DD was called Poppy for a couple of days before we settled on another name, she was Poppy Charlotte which I still think is lovely xx

Stars22 Mon 20-Oct-08 20:55:52

I love the name Poppy. (altho i do no a cat and a dog called poppy)
Poppy Marie
Poppy Charlotte
Poppy Elizabeth
Poppy May
Poppy Elissa
Poppy Eliza
Poppy Isabella
Poppy Siobhan
Poppy Grace

Thanks for all your suggestions! The jury is still out ... smile

hunkermunker Mon 20-Oct-08 23:13:49

Her initials would be PE.

As in Physical Education.

Just something to bear in mind.

overthehill Mon 20-Oct-08 23:16:59

My dd has 2 friends called Molly, which is very popular here, and when I took our dog out today there were two dogs called Molly! I personally don't know any dogs called Poppy, but I do agree with those who point out that a lot of pets have 'human' names. If you like it, please choose it!

Bathsheba Tue 21-Oct-08 07:21:03

I have a Poppy Charlotte and she is VERY much a Poppy. No one has ever said to me "thats a dog's name", but someone did say that to my Mum once about her name (she is called Sheena) and also a girl I used to know who was called Petra...

I definately don't adhere to the "never amount to anything because of her name" thing - Trust me, our Poppy will do absolutely anything she wants to do with her life.

She's 4.5 now and has had absolutely no problems because of her name - everyone always remembers it and always remembers me because I'm "Poppy's Mum".

I've never met another one where we are (NE Scotland) but I've just been to Center Parcs and there were a lot of Poppys there..!!

fizzpops Tue 21-Oct-08 08:17:02

The initials shouldn't be anything more than a mildly interesting aside. Most people may notice but not even comment.

By this reasoning you could not have a Poppy A, Poppy C, Poppy G, Poppy H, Poppy I, Poppy J, Poppy M, Poppy O, Poppy R, Poppy S or Poppy T - or indeed any other name starting with P and these initials.

As long as they are not offensive or embarassing why worry?

Tigerschick Tue 21-Oct-08 08:28:13

I love the name Poppy, DH vetoed tho, said it was flakey (like someone else's DH on here). I knew a Poppy at school (mid-80s) who was lovely.

WRT middle names, I'd only avoid one beginning with E or I. Bearing in mind your surname ... PIE or PEE is perhaps a bit much.

PavlovtheWitchesCat Tue 21-Oct-08 08:29:21

I love Poppy but clashed with our surname, however for a while DD got called poppy anyway so it has become her second middle name grin

Love poppy!! fab name!! but i love flower names wink.

Love, love, love Poppy smile Wouls have used it for my daughter but we have a wierd surname beginning with a P (damn the DH)

123rose Wed 05-Aug-09 04:43:18

What about Poppy Lily?

Schulte Wed 05-Aug-09 09:15:40

To be honest I can't see a grown up woman be called Poppy. It may be cute for a little girl but not for an adult?

Schulte Wed 05-Aug-09 09:16:37

Oh, I see this point has already been made...

RetroMum1 Wed 05-Aug-09 09:55:44

I second what CasperCat said. Poppy is my absolute favourite name in the world but again i am biased with having a Poppy myself. But she is right whenever anyone asks what our daughter is called people always say and seem genuine oh what a lovely name or what a pretty name.

Also it is the least common flower name around here with her being the only one we know, there are lots of daisy's however.

I don't think it's a flaky name but then I think it's the child that makes the name not the other way around and our Poppy is very fiesty bordering on stroppy but she is hitting the terrible 2's! grin

Use it, use it, use it I am still 2 years on always very proud to say my daughter is called Poppy, and I thank the lord I didn't choose Isabella of which we have 6 coming to her party.

singersgirl Wed 05-Aug-09 12:50:39

I think the reason Poppy sounds like a little girl's name is that it's got a diminutive, abbreviated quality to it; it ends in 'y' so it sounds like a shorter version of something else, though I know it's not. I think it's more about the sound of the name - 'pop' as in bubbles, 'poppy' as in a lightweight type of music, 'poppet' as in a little sweetie. The three ps are very cute and bouncy (compared to, say, Lily, which is rather elegant and smooth).

But I always overanalyse things...

tryingtobemarypoppins Wed 16-Sep-09 20:21:14

Sorry to highjack but I am gutted as my 'friend' used our first name choice 'Evie' today sad after the birth of her DD. Our other choice was Poppy or Lily

What goes better with a surname Williams?

or shall I just sick with Evie and think sod it!

persephoneplum Thu 17-Sep-09 10:21:43

I have a huge dislike for this name. It's insubstantial, another word for passing wind, and a much-used name for a grandparent.

I would see a Poppy as lithe and graceful, with pretty features. Too bad if she wasn't. I knew a very awkward teenage Poppy with dreadful acne, and her name always struck me as clashing with her appearance and I felt sorry for her. I stay away from names which strongly indicate a particular appearance.

xtinamummy27 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:43:24

love this name, definately in the top 10 should jelly bean be a girl grin

Teamthrills Sun 23-Sep-12 21:47:48

I have never really thought of it as a dog's name, but I would say it's a very popular name - I know 3 Poppys.

YouMayLogOut Sun 23-Sep-12 22:08:32

Poppy is a lovely name!

Petra is unusual, perhaps even a bit odd.

delilah88 Sun 23-Sep-12 23:22:40

I know two lovely, successful, pretty 30-somethings called Poppy, so it doesn't hinder people!

boyfallingoutofthesky Mon 24-Sep-12 08:02:21

I know one Poppy personally aged 2 and hear it a lot. I know it was not the question, but it is not unusual, it was number 14 in the name charts for England and Wales last year with 2932 babies called it! So if you want unusual I'd find something else!
Never known any dogs called Poppy, but one cat! Think it is now well enough established as achild's name for this not to matter (not like Rex, which I have also seen on this board...)

midori1999 Mon 24-Sep-12 08:49:38

One of my dogs is called Poppy and for that reason we won't ever use this name. I wouldn't care if someone else's dog was called it though!

Kaekae Sun 30-Sep-12 00:02:18

Far to popular, would use Polly as a refreshing alternative.

Kaekae Sun 30-Sep-12 00:02:38

too*

Dogsmom Sun 30-Sep-12 18:55:06

In reply to the original post yes it is a popular dogs name, probably one of the most popular at the moment. I'm a groomer and I know a LOT, usually cocker spaniels or westies, other common female dogs names are Maisie, Bonnie, Holly, Daisy, Rosie, Jess & Lucy.

This is the reason I'm finding it hard choosing a name for our daughter!

Having said that there aren't many names I haven't come across for a dog at some point so there's always a chance you'll get someone say 'ooh I know a dog/cat with that name'.

CPtart Sun 30-Sep-12 19:26:30

Awful. A cutesy little girl name in the same vein as Lily, Daisy, Maisie, Evie, Millie, Ellie.......

Grannylipstick Sun 30-Sep-12 20:24:51

We had a lovely little yorkie called poppy. We lost her when she was 14. We now have the most beautiful grand daughter who is 2 called poppy. It's a lovely name

Desiderata Sun 30-Sep-12 20:28:01

I've known several girls called Poppy in my time, and they're all as mad as a box of frogs.

Baffledandbewildered Mon 01-Oct-12 09:30:49

We have a 25 year old Poppie it's lovely and better still she likes her name! Result ! We've done something right LOL

OhSiena Mon 01-Oct-12 09:45:08

My son has a dogs name.

Or rather a human name that lots of dogs have, he's not called Rover.

He's 12 no one has ever commented on the dog name thing to him, and certainly no teasing because of it. When he was younger he thought it was great when he met a dog with the same name as him, I may have been thinking (oh not another dog) but he was quite happy declaring 'that's my name too.'

He loves his name, and I still like it despite all the dogs.

Poppy is very pretty.

And anyway all dogs seem to be called Molly.

I like Molly too though.

Maybe I just like dogs names.

So probably best to ignore me.

RobinSparkles Mon 01-Oct-12 09:53:44

I like it! smile

I think it's pretty and names grow with the child, IMO.

It's definitely not "overused" around here as I don't know any children (or dogs) called Poppy, and I attend numerous toddler groups and work in a school!

delilah88 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:00:55

I know two young women called poppy. The first v beautiful, happy, fairy-like: it suits her. Not the sharpest tool in the box and physically awkward: it seems like a bad name. Even with the first, glamorous one it feels a bit like her parents wanted to infantilise her. It's a name all the boys like though.

delilah88 Mon 01-Oct-12 10:01:22

I mean THE SECOND is not the sharpest tool in the box etc. Sorry!

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 03-Oct-12 12:53:30

Zombie thread! Wonder what the OP went with eventually?

Yummymummylovex Sat 09-Aug-14 23:30:12

My daughter is 16 named Poppy and plays nationally for netball and models for elite models she has had no problems and all her PE teachers call her pops doesn't have a problem. Has many different nicknames from/for many people. But that's just her every kind hearted and funny girl.

Yummymummylovex Sat 09-Aug-14 23:34:58

However she is a red head lol

Livvylongpants Sat 09-Aug-14 23:49:57

I have a poppy may. As someone said up thread she is mad as a box of frogs. She's 3 and when we named her we didn't know one other poppy but now we know a few but she's normally pops or popsy.

I was unsure about the 'how would it suit at 40' but as far as I see there will be lots of Poppy's her age so it'll be normal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now