Girls names for dd2 - there's something wrong with all of them!

(65 Posts)
Vronsky Tue 14-Oct-08 21:51:03

Help me think of girls names for dd2 - everything we think of has something wrong with it and it's getting really hard. Shortlist is:

Kitty (but we already have a Tabitha and think it might be too catty, also is this getting too popular?)
Iris (getting too popular? I don't know any but there seem to be loads on MN)
Viola (LOVE this but every time I imagine calling a child the name it sounds weird)
Ottilie (too pretentious?)
Belle (LOVE this but no middle names go with it and we have a B surname...)

Also like, but not sure about:

Sylvie (dh doesn't really like this)
Imogen (too popular?)

Can I have some opinions on the various pitfalls please? And any other suggestions - we want something unusual but not too weird!

YouMayLogOut Sun 07-Oct-12 15:54:34

* Z o m b i e T h r e a d *

Shelvis Sun 07-Oct-12 13:11:58

Kitty is my girls name! Have had it for 10 years since dh's gran passed away. It was her name although she was Katherine. We have simat taste as I also love Iris and Elspeth. But kitty is my favourite name and if its a girl she will be called Kitty Beau.

Belle reminds me of bell end.
Your other names are lovely tho

ch1cago Fri 28-Nov-08 21:56:00

My 6 year old niece is called Iris, I was worried about the old lady connotations at first, but it grew on me immediately and I think it's really lovely (as is she) - it has a lovely meaning too - rainbow (in case that's important).

Also love Sylvie - probably as one of my best friends has the same name.

mersmam Thu 27-Nov-08 14:41:00

I think Kitty is lovely, and I don't think there is a problem putting it with a sister called Tabitha.
Viola is nice too (and Violet). I also like Iris and don't think it's v.common - you have good taste!
Don't like Belle at all though - too Disneyish and the spelling makes me think of Belly buttons grin
Imogen is nice but more popular than the others you mentioned (still not overly common though).
I think Kitty is the nicest!

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Thu 27-Nov-08 14:21:54

Belle is lovely and aliteration rules.

jeanjeannie Thu 27-Nov-08 14:18:56

Love Cecily. Has a light, floaty 1930s feel, which, if the glut of names like Iris, Mabel and Esme is anything to go by means it'll sound quite modern. I love those sort of names and have an Iris and Verity - which seem to fit into that category - so I'm biased!

Quite like Elspeth - not so keen on the others. Sound a bit...erm, sort of Shakespearean - only not hmm Oh, I know what I mean - sorry!!

Rhubarb Thu 27-Nov-08 14:13:25

Bénita

Vronsky Thu 27-Nov-08 14:12:25

ooh, Cicely is nice. I like the way it sounds like the Italian island, but isn't, iyswim. Or is Cecily nicer?

The current shortlist is:

Viola
Belle
Elspeth
Dorothea

Any opinions?

mabanana Tue 04-Nov-08 22:23:05

Audrey?

groovergirl Tue 04-Nov-08 22:20:52

I recently found a 1930s "annual" for girls that featured two crime-busting heroines named Cicely and Catita. If you want pretty names that haven't been in fashion for decades and probably never will be again, I bet you could not go past those!

nappyaddict Fri 17-Oct-08 10:09:16

i love coral/coralie.

nappyaddict Fri 17-Oct-08 10:09:13

i love coral/coralie.

LittleMissBlissBloodAndBoils Thu 16-Oct-08 21:57:25

Belle Sophia
or
Bella Sophia

hunkermunker Thu 16-Oct-08 21:52:19

By blinks on Wed 15-Oct-08 00:16:09
you can have all my names-

Betsey
Mitzie/Mitzy
Elsa
Colette
Luella
Maggie
Marni
Missy
Polly
Eliza
Cora
Coral

Jeez, Blinks, your driving licence must be massive!

Also PMSL at Otter-Leigh...!

Majeika Thu 16-Oct-08 21:48:17

Elspeth is lovely but maybe a bit to 'th' with Tabitha??

Tabitha and Imogen - lovely

Imogen Belle Broadhurst?

Violetta Belle Britton

What about Nell?

I love Nell.

Tabitha and Nell

berolina Thu 16-Oct-08 21:43:18

Love Sylvie (Sylvia is nicer still), Iris, Imogen. Someone suggested Isadora which is also beautiful.

Belle will date her, Ottilie with be a nightmare for people to pronounce (should be Ott-EEL-ear really but people will probably say Ottily) and Viola just doesn't work as a name IMO.

Or call her Isabel (lovely) and shorten it to Belle.

UmMwahahahaaaaa Thu 16-Oct-08 21:38:20

I am an urban girl and I love Imogen. smile

janeite Thu 16-Oct-08 21:28:03

I like Iris, with Belle as a middle name.

I don't think Kitty "goes" well with Tabitha, for the reason you say. Don't like Ottilie at all, sorry.

Imogen isn't my favourite name BUT it goes well with Tabitha and, like Iris, would work really well with Belle as a middle name.

jeanjeannie Thu 16-Oct-08 21:22:56

I've got an Iris, so I'm biased! I'm in Bucks and not really seen it catch on here as a popular name.

Love Sylvie VERY much - gorgeous.

Coralie and Elodie are nice names too

moonincancer Thu 16-Oct-08 20:57:59

violetta...how beautiful is that! also, belle with a b surname would be fine i think.

kerala Thu 16-Oct-08 20:48:38

What stats say Iris is getting popular? Its not in the National Stats top 100 names for 2007 are there other stats?

nappyaddict Wed 15-Oct-08 22:11:26

I like Viola best.

I love the name Elspeth smile Absolutely gorgeous.

Rhiannon is one of my fave names at the moment, for what it's worth. Plus Meryl and Rosanne. I think any of them would go well with Tabitha. I also like Tamsin and Tamara but you probably don't want another T.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now