Girls names for dd2 - there's something wrong with all of them!

(65 Posts)
Vronsky Tue 14-Oct-08 21:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

do middle names actually matter?
when do you use them exactly?

i like belle

TrinityLovesHerVampireRhino Tue 14-Oct-08 21:56:57

Imogen viola woud be nice

Plonker Tue 14-Oct-08 21:57:40

I love Belle and really like alliteration in names smile
I think that names beginning with vowels go well with Belle

Belle Alexandra
Belle Elizabeth
etc

I don't know any Iris' and only a few Imogens ...i certainly don't think that they're massively popular.

Tinker Tue 14-Oct-08 23:29:45

I think Sylvie is great.

seeker Tue 14-Oct-08 23:35:09

Remember that even if a name is quite popular, the chances of there being more than one in a class are pretty remote.

A lot of those names look like nick names to me - I always think it's better to give a child the full name and use the shortening - it gives them more choices. So Katherine (Kitty), Belle, Annabel or Isobel (Belle) Sylvia (Sylvie).

Ottile is a bit "trying too hard" buy for some reason, in my head, Amelie is all right!

hana Tue 14-Oct-08 23:37:14

I love the name Iris

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Tue 14-Oct-08 23:40:50

How would you pronounce Viola?

<snob> wink

MinkyBorage Tue 14-Oct-08 23:41:42

Iris is lovely, was favourite choice for dc3 if a girl
Viola and ottelie sound v pretentious imo
not keen on sylvie
there was a great thread on here a while ago about what peoples grandparents were called which I think is where you might be coming from, I'll have a look for it

MinkyBorage Tue 14-Oct-08 23:43:09
Flum Tue 14-Oct-08 23:52:12

Why do you object to a name being popular though? My husband loves his name and there were 4 in his class,but it was then and still is a class name. Go for class not outlandish:

The ones I like out of your choices are Iris and Imogen. I like Bella but not Belle.

backonthedecaff Tue 14-Oct-08 23:59:46

I've just had an Imogen - she was almost a Sylvie - and suddenly loads of them have started to crop up but, quite frankly, so what? Dd1's name I thought quite original, but it wasn't, and dd2 wasn't at all but she loves the fact that she knows loads of others with the same name!

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Wed 15-Oct-08 00:03:43

Kitty - yes, but only as an abbreviation for Catherine
Iris - I still associate this name with old ladies but I believe there's a revival going on. Believe some slebs have named their children Iris. You may or may not think that's a recommendation!
Viola - utterly fab
Ottilie - well, you said it.
Belle - Bella is fine as an abbreviation of Isobel or Annabel.
Sylvie - I'd opt for Sylvia, which is fab.
Imogen - a bit too Pony Club for my liking (am a very urban girl).

Since you asked about pitfalls .... I think the pitfall of all these names is that they're very '2008' and could seem very dated in a few years (in the same way that if I ever meet a Linda I know she will be exactly the same age as me and every Beryl I know is in her late 70s).

But who cares what a mad old biddy on the internet thinks?

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Wed 15-Oct-08 00:06:55

Forgot that you asked for other suggestions:

Anna, surely?

If not, then

Alice
Primrose
Celia
Miranda
Ruth
Naomi

LaDiDaDi Wed 15-Oct-08 00:14:04

I wouldn't go for Kitty when you already have a Tabitha, though I like both names individually.

I think Iris is lovely.

I think that Viola is more of a middle name but I don't know why.

I don't like Ottilie.

I'm not that keen on Belle.

I love Sylvie and Imogen.

brimfull Wed 15-Oct-08 00:15:26

love Imogen

also like

Verity
Anya
Olive
Hester
Susannah

blinks Wed 15-Oct-08 00:16:09

you can have all my names-

Betsey
Mitzie/Mitzy
Elsa
Colette
Luella
Maggie
Marni
Missy
Polly
Eliza
Cora
Coral

brimfull Wed 15-Oct-08 00:17:48

Dixie

klmcm80 Wed 15-Oct-08 00:40:02

brioney

mrswoolf Wed 15-Oct-08 00:42:07

Kitty - too much perhaps with Tabitha, and it does seem to pop up frequently in the announcements of late.
Iris - don't know any personally, but according to the stats it is rising vaguely rapidly
Viola - like, but may present pronunciation problems. It shouldn't really be pronounced the same as the musical instrument (as you're probably aware).
Ottilie - I don't think is pretentious, lovely!
Belle - nice

Also like, but not sure about:

Sylvie - like, am a fan of Guillem though
Imogen - lovely, but more popular thanyour other choices.

Isadora
Henrietta
Ursula

klmcm80 Wed 15-Oct-08 00:42:29

brioney
aine
kelly-louise
donna-marie
kayla
tierna
yvonne
leisa

klmcm80 Wed 15-Oct-08 00:44:07

i love irish names

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 15-Oct-08 09:04:35

Love Kitty (I have one)
What about Annabel / Arabella / Annabella if you like Belle but don't want that with a B surname? Then you can always shorten it.
Going back to Kitty, I don't know any others (except I know of a couple of Mnetters with them who live quite far away from me!) - am in Scotland and it's definitely not at all common here.
Apparently it's getting more popular in the south tho, but can't imagine it being super-popular ?It is a bit catty orientated with Tabitha tho, that would be my only reservation.

From OP's list I know 1 Kitty IRL, I think I met an Imogen once, too.
I only like Iris on that list.
If you like old-fashioned names what about Martha, Margaret, Diana, Rose, Rosalind, Mary, Jacqueline, Gillian...

gloomysue Wed 15-Oct-08 10:40:02

Ottilie is beautiful. I know 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now