What name do you secretly love but would never use for your child?

(789 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Sat 04-Oct-08 21:29:25

For me it's Silas - it reminds me of the adventure programmes I used to watch as a kid. I think one of my first crushes must have been on a character called Silas.

I did suggest it for DS1 (vetoed by DP), but thinking about it I wouldn't want to call my son Silas and I can't really explain why.

Does anybody else have a name that they wouldn't use, but really like nonetheless...?

lovecamping Sat 04-Oct-08 22:11:27

Cecile - dh's ex girlfriends name. really like it although it does mean blind in french!!!

FreakyLadyFrightALot Sat 04-Oct-08 22:13:54

Ida..but pronounced the german way which is ee-dah, rahter then eye-da....
(not that i ever had a gorl to use it for anyway)

a name I would have loved to use, but was not allowed was Noah..

as for names I would have loved to use, but couldn't because we live in tHE uk
Marvin
Frederic
Malte
Soren

CarofromWton Sat 04-Oct-08 22:15:39

Girl - Evangeline (Evie)
Boy - Ambrose

lovemybuggy Sat 04-Oct-08 22:16:02

I love Persephone and also Merlin....for a girl,just sounds like a girls name to me!grin

lovemybuggy Sat 04-Oct-08 22:16:03

I love Persephone and also Merlin....for a girl,just sounds like a girls name to me!grin

Spagblog Sat 04-Oct-08 22:19:27

Mercedes
Portia
Bracken

sagecat Sat 04-Oct-08 22:19:27

I've loved Dallas since i was a little girl, DH hates it sad

WinkyWinkola Sat 04-Oct-08 22:19:29

Ophelia can be shortened to Fifi, Lia, O, Phelie.. . .all sorts. My DD is Ophelia.

spicemonster Sat 04-Oct-08 22:21:29

Jasper, Jared, Levi

All too big and grown up and sophisticated for my DS who is destined to be a little shortarse his entire life (((DS)))

SoMuchToBits Sat 04-Oct-08 22:22:00

I always liked Gabriel for aboy and Andromeda for a girl, but knew I would never be allowed to use them!

Recently I've been doing a lot of family tree research and have discovered a lot of "Ozias" es in the family. I wish now I'd used Ozias in ds's name, not as a first name, but maybe a middle name.

He is 7 now, and likes his name, but also likes Ozias.

amelia
but i just know it would become Amy which is too common as well as too common iykwim

Megglevache Sat 04-Oct-08 22:25:36

Jesus

Really like Daisy but think it's a bit cute and little girly. Not so sure how it'd sound at 40!

Whooooooooooooooooooo Sat 04-Oct-08 22:34:04

Araminta.

sunnyshine Sat 04-Oct-08 22:43:19

pearl - i love that!

Belgianchox Sat 04-Oct-08 22:47:39

Imogen, Oscar

LynetteScavo Sat 04-Oct-08 22:52:50

I kept sugesting Amadaus to DH when I ws PG with DS1. Now I just think "phew"that he didn't agree with me...but I still love it.

BettySwollux Sat 04-Oct-08 22:53:17

Wanted to call DS2 Kiedis, as am big chilli peppers fan, and completely in love with Anthony Kiedis, Dh said we werent rich enough to call him that!
Plus it doesnt go too well with Matthew (DS1) so DH picked Adam and we called him that.

Janni Sat 04-Oct-08 22:53:20

I know a couple called Pearl and Dean.

Weren't they just destined to be together?

Yorkiegirl Sat 04-Oct-08 22:59:44

Message withdrawn

superfrenchie1 Sat 04-Oct-08 23:00:13

oh me too Pearl for a girl and Sidney (Sid) for a boy, i LOVE those names!

in fact i love those names so much that it makes me want to have two more children just so i can use them. despite the fact that i already have dd and ds with perfectly nice names and my family is perfectly complete and no more kids on the agenda!

also have always loved Ramona. and Stanley. Oh and Peggy. there are loads that i love but would never quite use for some reason

hughjarssss Sat 04-Oct-08 23:02:23

I had the same problem with diasy. Sounded a lot like dairylee when added to our surname, didnt think that was fair at school

FreakyLadyFrightALot Sat 04-Oct-08 23:04:36

our ys has Sydney as a middlename....partly because I do really like it and mostly because his grandfather and greatgrandfathers were Sydneys (albeit grandfather is known under a different name)

woollyjo Sat 04-Oct-08 23:15:06

Cias - Dh was having none of it though just as well we has a girl, saved a big fight

LouMacca Sat 04-Oct-08 23:25:16

Love Teddy but DH wouldn't have it as huge Man City fan (Teddy Sherringham ex-Man Utd)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now