what are posh names then?

(201 Posts)
strawberriesandcream01 Sun 11-May-08 22:29:47

Just wondering? I have always liked Tabitha, Martha, sebastian. I know an Arthur and Monty. What would you class as a posh name and also as an embarrasing name!

shoobidoo Thu 13-Dec-12 09:44:19

Doesn't 'posh' simply mean classic, elegant and not overused? Also, most names that are considered 'posh' tend to move downmarket fairly quickly.

Names like Sebastian, Quentin, Arabella, Clementine were considered too posh only a few years ago, now these names are quite widespread and considered 'normal'. There is an interesting chapter on this trend in 'Freakonomics'.

Gugglebum Thu 13-Dec-12 05:13:06

Most of what I would have listed is already here, so I'd like to throw in Odessa. Know of a var posh one.

HelpOneAnother Wed 12-Dec-12 23:37:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doyouwantfrieswiththat Wed 12-Dec-12 23:28:37

Vyvyan

redpanda13 Wed 12-Dec-12 23:16:58

I knew a StJohn and he was not that posh. He had a brother Simeon (I always thought of simian). Their father was a minister.
Strangely a lot of the male names mentioned here as posh belong to ponies I rode in my youth.

MalcolmGrant Tue 11-Dec-12 23:04:51

Malcolm Grant is a posh name.

Bertram
Tobias
Hilda

Felicity
Ingrid
Hebe
Tristan

duby54 Tue 11-Dec-12 18:23:31

Well my first name is StJohn and i find it a really good name, people never mix you up and also i think it came from a very posh family originality. xD

Osomec Wed 22-Sep-10 14:45:23

The clichéd "upper class" names are mostly passé for genuinely upper class newborns. I have found an up to date insight into the names currently used at the very top of the upper class in the dowager duchess of Devonshire's just published memoirs, which include a photo of her with her seventeen great grandchildren. Their names are:

Barney
Rosa
Jake
Lily
Victor
Marcel
Cecily
Alfie
Harry
Ned
Georgia
Jasmine
Iris
Willa
Cosmo
Isla
Maud

Janoschi Mon 13-Sep-10 00:50:12

Once heard a VERY posh lady in Hyde Park braying 'Hugo! Hugo!' in an appallingly loud voice at a poor toddler. I do like Giles....

CDMforever Sat 11-Sep-10 22:30:15

People often tell us our daughter's name is very posh - Arabella. I suppose it is but we love the name.

Thissideofchannel Sat 11-Sep-10 21:33:00

Really, you think that Walter and Rosemary are posh? To me, they just sound so old fashioned...

And I know a few very 'common' Delias, Quentins anad Gabriels....

This just shows how different our name associations are smile.

cecily
tim (nice but dim)
amanda (never mandy)
victoria (never vicky)
seraphina
crispan
delia
estella
fabian
gabriel
henrietta
ivo
mortimer
randolph
niles/miles/giles
forbes
ophelia
petunia
rosemary
virginia
violetta
winston
walter
quintin
reginald
harold
oonagh
regina

sunnydays2 Thu 09-Sep-10 23:04:36

Eugene......it was an ex boyfriends middle name....he hated it as his Mum only used it as it sounded posh!
But then he did go to boarding school, so maybe he was posh!!!

Islandgirllk Tue 07-Sep-10 11:27:26

Rollo makes me laugh. My DPs surname is Rollinson and I call him Rollo for fun, I didn't know it was a proper name!

I think Bunty is posh for a girl for sure, any girl called Bunty loves riding, plays violin and goes to a posh school....

I think that the really posh give their kids fairly traditional names - John, Edward, James, Charles for boys and Elizabeth, Charlotte, Mary and so on for girls.....

sophiesmummie Mon 06-Sep-10 19:58:12

Most of the names on here are lovely (apart from maybe Godfrey and Willy grin).

moragbellingham Mon 06-Sep-10 19:52:36

I went to Uni with two lovely guys called Rupert and Roderick, always known as Rupes and Rodders.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 06-Sep-10 14:39:10

There is, anamaria? I knew it! <excitedly hangs up stocking>

StJohn (Sinjun)
Rupert
Monty
Ralph (Rafe)
Hugo
Quentin
Orlando

anamaria22 Mon 06-Sep-10 14:20:13

Well, there is Santa Claus grin

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 06-Sep-10 14:07:03

It is weird, do you get people in other countries called Angel Gabriel or Saint Therese?

anamaria22 Mon 06-Sep-10 13:45:24

Singen is indeed rather unusual, and no one oustide of the UK will know to pronounce it that way.

Saint John still sounds odd to my ears but at least straightforward to pronounce.

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 06-Sep-10 12:25:26

I know a St John who actually calls himself "saint john" rather than the ridiculous traditional Singe-nn pronunciation. Saint for short.

domesticsluttery Mon 06-Sep-10 12:07:43

I think St John would probably be pronounced "Singen".

I love the name Ptolemy, I went to uni with one (he was known as Tolly). I also went to uni with a Rupert (nn Rups), a Ralph (pronounced Rafe) and an Alexander (nn Xander).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now