Is there anyone out there who knew their baby's name straight away?

(29 Posts)
Hellmouth Fri 25-Nov-16 17:10:32

Just curious, as I see so many threads with people trying to choose a name! :D

Before we even knew we were having a boy, we had picked out a boy's name. And we knew what the middle name would be straight away (if a boy, DPs dad's first name, if a girl, my mum's name).

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 25-Nov-16 17:34:28

It didn't my DH and I long to pick a name once we knew our baby was a boy. We talked briefly about the names of Scottish mountains and quickly decided to include all of them and call him Ben!

cheweduprope Fri 25-Nov-16 17:43:31

as I see so many threads with people trying to choose a name

Presumably because the parents who already have a name don't come online to make a thread about it!!

LestatVonGaribaldi Fri 25-Nov-16 17:46:16

Well I did but my DP didn't agree!

MrsBobDylan Fri 25-Nov-16 19:00:10

Dh and I finally agree a boy and girl name a couple of weeks before baby puts in an appearance. I have a fear of not picking a name before baby's here because I'm so dazed afterwards I'd find it stressful to be thinking of a name then.

Usually, dh starts off all 'nope, nope, nope' to every suggestion until towards the end and he just wants it done so agrees to one. He says it isn't like that but that's how it comes across. He told me he didn't like ds2's name, then agreed it just before he arrived, then said he wasn't sure he liked it just after we'd announced it but I vetoed a name change. Now he loves it!

OhFuds Fri 25-Nov-16 19:01:33

I usually have my names chosen before I even get pregnant blush

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 25-Nov-16 19:03:53

For DS1 we had one discussion and ended up with a shortlist of 3. About a month before DH said I think I prefer X I said 'so do I' DS1 was named. For DS2 we went for a private gender scan found out he was a boy walked out of the room and I said 'how about X middle name Y' DS said 'yep perfect' DS2 was named.

ColourfulOrangex Fri 25-Nov-16 19:05:43

My first son as soon as I knew he was a boy I had a name, I'm pregnant now and have my boys or girls name smile

Queenofthebrae Fri 25-Nov-16 19:06:32

We had a boys name before I was even pregnant and very early on in my pregnancy we found a girls name we liked. As soon as my DD was born we knew the name we'd picked at the start was perfect for her.

MoonDuke Fri 25-Nov-16 19:08:11

I knew DS2's name the moment i found out i was pregnant. Don't know why- just had a very strong feeling. Didn't even know he was a boy at that point! And it wasn't a shortlisted name from when we were choosing DS1's name.

wigglesrock Fri 25-Nov-16 19:10:59

Yes, we had a boys and a girls name, including middle name picked out from pretty much 20 weeks and stuck to it for each of my 3.

katiegg Fri 25-Nov-16 19:19:17

We knew with ds1. We'd picked it out before we were married. At our 20 week scan we asked could they tell us the sex and when we found out he was a boy, husband looked at me and said 'xx xx then?'. I nodded and there was no further discussion about it. dc2 has been much tougher to name, I'm due in a week and not having a name feels very strange!

BestIsWest Fri 25-Nov-16 19:23:01

We had names years before having the children, both based on people we'd liked. We did dither when they were actually born but it was the middle names that gave us more problem.

MalbecAndLindt Fri 25-Nov-16 19:24:26

6 months pregnant with DC1. Boys name was decided before even TTC and the entire name (middle names as well) was confirmed in early pregnancy. Few ideas for a girl but will probably decide for definite when baby is born, if it's a girl obviously.

EssentialHummus Fri 25-Nov-16 19:25:23

Girl's, yes. Boy's - I decided four years ago and have been wearing DH down since. "Oh look DH, that's where little Johnny will go to school..."

allegretto Fri 25-Nov-16 19:28:02

I let DH choose DD's name and he knew straight off what he wanted. I chose DS's and changed my mind a bit.

PetalMettle Fri 25-Nov-16 20:36:43

We had boys and girls both picked from when we started ttc. We did reverse the boy order about 15 weeks in though (i.e. Before I knew he was a boy)

Raines100 Sat 26-Nov-16 07:51:40

All 3 of mine were named long before conception.
DH had DS1's name picked out when he was a teenager. He was lucky I happened to love it!
We chose our girl name on our first date blush but didn't get to use it until DC3. I started a thread on here about the spelling, and went with MN advice.
DS2 was named when DS1 was a week old. My DM said, 'So will you have another? What would you call him/her?'
Had DD been a boy, there would have been numerous threads on here because we had nothing.

megletthesecond Sat 26-Nov-16 07:54:12

Yes. Both the dc's names were picked in the first weeks of pregnancy with dc1. Who turned out to be a boy. Then the alternative girls name was used with dd a couple of years later.

ChristianGreysAnatomy Sat 26-Nov-16 08:03:19

Yep. With dd, I wanted either name a or name b, both very similar. I suggested both to dh, he said he liked name b. Job done.
Ds was a different story!

Vegangelist Sat 26-Nov-16 10:03:12

I knew the names I wanted to call a boy and a girl since I was a teenager. Met DH in my thirties, told him the names, he agreed they were awesome, so I had kids with him. grin

SaltySeaBird Sat 26-Nov-16 10:13:17

Yep about 10 years before I had her, when I first met DH I said one day I'd love a girl called DD's name. He said it was his favourite girls name too. We couldn't decide on a boys name at the time.

Several years later I said if we had another baby and it was a boy I loved DS's name and didn't know why I hadn't thought of it before. DH said what a great name.

Six months later I was pregnant, we couldn't come up with a girls name but were set on the boys name.

Neither time did we find out the sex in advance.

JunebabyT Sat 26-Nov-16 16:33:36

I'm only 13 weeks and have a perfect girls name decided with middle names and everything, but boys will require more work! I have been vaguely thinking of baby names since I was about 4 though...

DramaAlpaca Sat 26-Nov-16 19:20:52

DS2 & DS3 were named shortly after finding out they were boys at the 20 week scan.

With DS1 it took a few hours after he was born to decide on a name, mainly because we hadn't found out the sex in advance & I was totally convinced he was going to be a girl & only had a girl's name picked out.

sugarplumfairy28 Sat 26-Nov-16 19:50:13

I knew from the age of 10 that if I should have a daughter her name would be Ottilie. It was my Great Nan's name, who I did know. I was told her name when I was 10 and been totally in love with it since. Her middle names were a bit more problematic, after I inadvertently created a family politics naming issue when naming DS and made a rod for my own back.

DH thankfully is very laid back and although at first he thought Ottilie would be a better middle name, he came around soon enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now