If we like... what else should we consider?

(19 Posts)
Littlefoxy Fri 25-Nov-16 08:45:47

We're expecting our little girl to arrive by the middle of next week & we've struggled to get a shortlist of names together. We both wanted something fairly unusual as we have rare names & had positive experiences of that. My partner would like a longer name we can shorten so she has a more grown up name when she's older & a cuter version for now. I tend to prefer shorter names but we're open to all suggestions. Our surname begins with E which is a shame as we love E names but many don't work. We'd be so grateful for your ideas! Our list is:

*Nia (pronounced to rhyme with fire)
*Imogen (Immy for short)
*Matilda
*Wren
*Hermione (maya)
*Noa
*Adeline
*Orla
*India

Thankyou smile

babyblabber Fri 25-Nov-16 10:07:51

How is Nia like fire?!!! I don't get that at all. Surely it's Nee-ah rather than Nire? Like the more popular Mia?

Also how do you get Maya from Hermione?!

I think Imogen or Adeline are lovely so I would defo go with one of them.

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 25-Nov-16 10:14:00

Adeline, Wren or Noa are lovely!

I know a Nia who is definitely knee-ah. She is Welsh and think it is a Welsh name. It's a lovely name. Is the nigh-ah pronunciation from another culture? I've never heard of it before.

Hermione will always make me think of Harry Potter which would put me off a little. I wouldn't naturally think of the nn maya as a shortening of hermione but it does make sense. That said, I'm not overly keen on it as a nn.

I like Matilda, Imogen and India too but prefer Adeline, Wren and Noa.

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 25-Nov-16 10:16:15

Oh sorry you want suggestions too! Got sidetracked by the whole Nia thing.

Fern
Willow
Autumn
Lilac
Tansy
Robyn / Robin
Coralie
Leonora
Eloise

ChocoChou Fri 25-Nov-16 10:33:58

I really don't like Hermione, sorry. I just don't like the name but also if you have an E surname it will sound Hermion-e E-something which might be strange.

If you like Nia like fire, why not spell it Nyah or Nya? Does that work? Also Kiya is lovely.
I also like Orla.

Flippetydip Fri 25-Nov-16 10:59:21

I LOVE the name Noa - love it. So unusual for a girl and beautiful.

Flippetydip Fri 25-Nov-16 11:00:15

Tabitha
Honor

vimtoqueen1 Fri 25-Nov-16 11:01:59

Matilda is lovely and can be shortened to Tilly

CakeRattleandRoll Fri 25-Nov-16 12:39:45

I like Nia, but would pronounce it Nee-ah. Also like Orla. Suggestions:

Miriam (Mim/Miri)
Vivienne (Vivi)
Larissa (Lara)
Corisande (Cora/Sandy)
Miranda (Miri/Mandy)
Anita
Bridget (Bridie)
Isolde (Issy)
Genevieve (Genny)
Josephine (Josie)
Xanthe
Kerensa (Kerry/Ren)

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 25-Nov-16 13:30:30

Robyn (Robbie)
Jessica (Jess)
Elizabeth ( El, Ellie, Lizzie. Libby, Betsy Beth Eliza Liza Libet)
Isobel (Bella)
Bonita (Bonnie, Nita)
Madeleine (Maddy, Leiny)
Georgina (Georgie, Gina)
Margaret (Maggie, Peggy Daisy)
Florence (Flossie, Florrie)

Littlefoxy Fri 25-Nov-16 15:50:10

Thanks for brilliant suggestions.

Yes the Welsh version Nia is pronounced nee-ah. I think saying it to rhyme with fire might be African (it's also an African name) & it's also the name of a British charity, but either way we'd definitely want to pronounce it that way. Niah might make it clearer but we're okay with having to correct people, we have to do it with our names all the time & it doesn't faze us.

I was thinking the Mi sound in Herminone could lend itself to Maya (as in Angelou so also said to rhyme with fire) but its mainly because I really like Maya but partner prefers it as nn.

Definitely a theme emerging as my top two that he vetoed were Isla (too popular) & Lyra because he said it sounds like Lygra, the cat they created when they bred a tiger with a lion grin (both cool animals, not seeing this as a bad connection but he is not budging)

Spam88 Fri 25-Nov-16 16:15:39

It's actually a Liger therefore his veto is invalid :p

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 25-Nov-16 16:21:31

How about Lilah? Could have Delilah as a long name on BC with Lilah for short.

Littlefoxy Fri 25-Nov-16 16:43:39

Ha! Spam88 I so should have googled that before backing down!

Delilah/Lilah is nice! Will put all these suggestions to him

noitsachicken Fri 25-Nov-16 16:58:03

Yes it's a Liger (male lion/female tiger), or Tigon (male tiger/female lion)
Both cruel creations.
I love Lyra and it's my favourite for our DD also due soon, DH still needs convincing.
Other on our list are Bryony and Josephine.
DH likes Hermionie and tried to sell me on the NN Little My because of my love of the Moomins!

Littlefoxy Fri 25-Nov-16 17:00:08

klingy both really liking Delilah & options of shortening to Lilah or to Dee. Doing a bit of a rain dance as we've been stuck for ideas for about 6 months now!

Also liking Bridie & Bella so thanks for all the ideas grin

Littlefoxy Fri 25-Nov-16 17:06:46

noitsachicken Little Mi! So cute! Also love the moomins. Liger is completely unethical. He'd have been better off making that argument to me but he's not thought of it yet! I hope you get to use it smile

KlingybunFistelvase Fri 25-Nov-16 20:34:37

Oh I'm so glad you like the suggestion OP! I love it too. It's on my list for any future dds.

BrollyXmas Fri 25-Nov-16 20:46:21

I know a lovely Nyah who has no problems with pronunciation.
Nia is also nice, but i'd pronounce it Neea

I can also suggest Naomi and Nina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now