Clara or Cecilia?

(23 Posts)
Mum8 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:41:36

DH loves Clara and I am torn between Clara and Cecilia. DS1 is named Emilio and DD1 has Feli as nickname. Which of the two do you like most and why? Want an uncommon name without been odd and something that suits her siblings...

Pluto30 Wed 23-Nov-16 20:50:29

Emilio and Cecilia are too similar. Especially if your other child also has Feli as a nickname.

So, Clara.

Hassled Wed 23-Nov-16 20:53:37

They're both absolutely lovely but I agree there's something too similar between Emilio and Cecilia - that ee stress on the second syllable - so I'd say Clara.

mooimevrouw Wed 23-Nov-16 20:54:12

I love both names, but I think Clara sounds better with her siblings. smile

mooimevrouw Wed 23-Nov-16 20:54:51

*with her siblings names!

jasmine1979 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:08:44

Ever since seeing this in active conversations I've had this song in my head. smile
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtyDnV_XMEA

They're both lovely names op. I think I also prefer Clara though.

Mum8 Thu 24-Nov-16 03:41:41

Really like Cecilia, do you think if we went for it it will be too weird? Or as DS ends in o rather than a, it's bearable. Clara I like but worried about popularity, DH loves Clara though so still not decided

Coey2016 Thu 24-Nov-16 06:00:45

I personally much prefer Cecilia and I don't think it would be too weird.

devondream Thu 24-Nov-16 06:04:49

I love Clara. My DS have Italian names and ds2 would have been a Clara.

BeingATinselTwatItsABingThing Thu 24-Nov-16 06:09:02

I prefer Cecilia. Not a fan of Clara even though my DD has an incredibly similar but not quite the same name.

KlingybunFistelvase Thu 24-Nov-16 09:25:13

I love Cecily but don't really like Cecelia for some reason... I think it's the ee-ah sound at the end. I know a lot of names have it but I'm not keen on the sound.

I really like Clara too, so would go for Clara.

IDreamOfPeace Thu 24-Nov-16 10:14:36

Want an uncommon name without been odd...

I love both names but would say Cecilia is the more uncommon of the two. I think Clara is climbing the ranks at the moment. In the last week alone just on this message board I've seen three people considering Clara for their baby girls smile

Sophronia Thu 24-Nov-16 14:30:54

I much prefer Cecilia

Joinourclub Thu 24-Nov-16 15:03:39

Cecilia and Cecily are both lovely and Cici is a cute nn for a little girl.

MollyHuaCha Thu 24-Nov-16 15:16:28

Clara is beautiful. But a little Clara I know finds her name being pronounced in different ways by people who have different accents. (Not necessarily a problem at all, but just something you might not have thought of.)

Mclaren37 Sat 26-Nov-16 01:22:02

I much prefer Cecilia, Clara is not particularly special. Cecelia is great. If you prefer Cecilia I think it sounds fine and quite cool with Emilio.

AutumnalLeaves38 Sat 26-Nov-16 02:11:22

Another vote here for Cecilia. Gorgeous. Bonus if she end up musical wink

Prettier pronounced with soft Cs, rather than Italian "Che-chee-lia"

As joinourclub said, "CiCi' (or "CeCe"?) is very sweet as a nickname.

I think it actually flows well with Emilio (one of my favourite Italian names, so I'm admittedly biased). Is Feli pronounced "Fee-lee" ?

Mclaren37 Sat 26-Nov-16 03:24:19

Ooh also, you could have Ceelie as a nn for Cecelia (ref. The Colour Purple, ok slightly depressingsmile). Then you've got Feli and Ceelie! Very cute. Cece is obvs great too though.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 26-Nov-16 12:38:09

Cecelia. Clara is tedious now. Plus she could use CeCe or Celi as a nn

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 26-Nov-16 12:53:48

Feli, Emilio, and Cecilia do sound weirdly similar.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 26-Nov-16 12:54:27

And you can't have Feli and Celi.

Mum8 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:44:47

Feli is pronounced as F-Ellie as in Ellie
I could have Feli & Cissi though non? i will use her full name though if we went for Cecilia. Only downside is how DH's family pronounce the name as they are Spanish. They say Thethilia. But they do have a half German newcomer and they kept the German pronunciation for his name so they could do the same in this case I trust

enchantmentandlove Sat 26-Nov-16 23:13:05

I prefer Clara, but both are pretty names

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now