Is Clara OK for Greece?

(9 Posts)
Mum8 Fri 18-Nov-16 08:45:23

DH from Spain and we both like name Clara, but I want to make sure we r making the right choice. My family is in Greece, how does Clara sound to you if you r Greek? Is it easy to pronounce? Any bad connotations I should be aware of? Thank you

NavyandWhite Sat 19-Nov-16 17:12:47

Lovely name smile

mrsnec Sat 19-Nov-16 20:12:59

I don't think they would have a problem with it but it would be written with a K so the first sylable would be quite hard sounding.

Mum8 Sun 20-Nov-16 03:28:40

Thank you mrsnec so well put, yes they will pronounce the C as K. Hm wish I could just correct them once and they will understand or is that wishful thinking? We live Overseas but all my family is in Greece...

griffinsss Mon 21-Nov-16 00:40:28

My family are mainly in France, they pronounce my daughter's name completely differently than I do. It bothered me at first, but she (almost 5) quite likes it now. My other daughter has a French name that is never pronounced correctly in England, even though when I was pregnant everyone reassured me it would be easy!

Message is, if you correct them enough they might learn, but if they don't it really isn't the end of the world!

mrsnec Mon 21-Nov-16 05:50:41

I spent ages trying to think of a name that would be pronounced the same in Greece, the UK and the two other european countries we hace connections too. The only one I came up with was Sophie and Sophia but whilst I love it its too popular. Dd and ds have English sounding retro names of Greek origin but ds's is pronounced very strangely by Greeks because of the Yg thing so don't let it put you off a name you love.

Back to you, I know an anglo cypriot family with a dd who has a similar 'C' name and its fine.

VintagePerfumista Mon 21-Nov-16 06:15:21

Everyone pronounces Clara with a K don't they? confused

Is K pronounced differently in Greek?

VintagePerfumista Mon 21-Nov-16 06:15:38

PS It's lovely btw.

Mum8 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:49:22

VintagePerfumista how funny! No it's the same pronunciation, it's only that the c/ K in Greek is much more pronounced and looses the softness, fluidity that Clara has

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now