Sibling for Ivy - which do you prefer? Any better suggestions?

(37 Posts)
BooeyBubbleHead Mon 14-Nov-16 12:02:15

Battling with a DH who vetos every suggestion but brings nothing to the party himself! hmm

Penny
Margot (DH hates this one but he hated Ivy too so there is hope...)
Esme
June

Mikey
Ronnie
Ray
Stanley
Oliver
Tom

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 14-Nov-16 12:32:13

Tom for a boy.
Esme is nice for a girl
Other suggestions
Rosa
Lily

llangennith Mon 14-Nov-16 12:47:09

They're all very old-fashioned names. And not the old names that are currently enjoying a revival. Just datedconfused

Sandsnake Mon 14-Nov-16 13:00:37

I like your girls names except for June. Margot is particularly nice. I would avoid June as paired with Ivy there is a very clear 'old lady chic' theme, which you may wish to avoid.

Your boys names really aren't to my taste, sorry. The first four sound like you're naming a 1940s boxer. Mikey and Ronnie are particularly bad, in my opinion (but it is only an opinion - names are very subjective!). Tom is my favourite as it is timeless and classless. I'd probably go for Thomas on the birth certificate, but I think that Tom is also a perfectly good name on its own.

Congrats on the pregnancy!

SorenaJ Mon 14-Nov-16 14:02:08

June and Stanley. Particularly love June together with Ivy.

mummytobeforbabyno1 Mon 14-Nov-16 14:03:32

Love all the girls names except June (just not to my taste, although I do like May/Mae so it's clearly not because it's a month haha).

We are struggling to agree on girls names so I feel your pain!

Love Stanley as that is our choice baby is a boy.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 14-Nov-16 14:05:18

How about juno? I prefer it to June.

BooeyBubbleHead Mon 14-Nov-16 14:09:13

I have thought about Juno but just don't love it as much as June...

Love the comment about 1940s boxers lol! That made me laugh! smile

Margot and Mikey are my favourites, but DH not keen at all.

Stanley would have been Ivy's name if she'd been a boy.

HairsprayBabe Mon 14-Nov-16 14:17:02

Margot and Stanley are my faves!
Stanley is so cute, and due a revival!

SausageSoda Mon 14-Nov-16 14:24:01

Margot and Stanley are my favourites. I like Esme too but don't think it sounds right with Ivy.

Gruffalosfriend Mon 14-Nov-16 14:31:50

I only like Penny (Penelope) from your girls list.

I don't like any of your boys names, I'm afraid.

CakeRattleandRoll Mon 14-Nov-16 15:29:28

I like Margot or Esme from your girl's list.
Michael with nn Mikey for a boy.

AnnetteKertan Mon 14-Nov-16 15:51:45

Not keen on your girls list, how about Violet, Ruby or Dulcie?

Ray is my favourite. Exact about Vincent?

What does your dh like?

Mummamayhem Mon 14-Nov-16 15:55:31

Absolutely love June....reminds me of June Carter...

ShowMeTheElf Mon 14-Nov-16 15:55:47

Before even reading your list I was going to say a single syllable name beginning with J, so Joy, June, Jane or Joan, James, John or Jake.

I just think they sound nice with Ivy. No idea if they go with your surname though, but interesting that one of them is already on your list.

BooeyBubbleHead Mon 14-Nov-16 15:59:42

DH likes Lily and Jack and that is all.

A close friend has a Jack, so that rules that one out. Lily is very very popular where we live so reluctant as a first name but would use as a middle name....

June Lily?
Margot Lily?

Vincent I like - Vinnie or Vince as NN. DH won't like it though...

TheCaptainsMum Mon 14-Nov-16 16:00:26

My great grandma was an Ivy. She lived a very long life, and had DS been a girl, he may have been an Ivy.

My other great grandma that I know the name of (seems odd that I don't know the names of the other 2!) was Dorothy-Sarah. She was a notoriously strong willed lady, so maybe you'd want to avoid that! ;)

I love the names Stanley, Tom and Margot.

I hope you find a name that fits. smile

Artandco Mon 14-Nov-16 16:02:20

Margo without the t. The rest of Europe ie Scandinavia and Germany will pronounce 'mar-gott'.
As England should really seeing as we pronounce everything else ie Paris as par-is. We don't have silent letters like French

ShowMeTheElf Mon 14-Nov-16 16:02:44

Ivy and Lily? Hmm, well it's a bit of a statement to horticulture, but Jamie Oliver got away with it so your DH will too I guess.
If Lily is too popular there are other flowers your DH might like if you do: Poppy/Daisy/Peony etc?

Artandco Mon 14-Nov-16 16:03:20

Conrad for a boy

Sophronia Mon 14-Nov-16 16:06:31

I like June and Ray best from your list

DanicaJones Mon 14-Nov-16 16:07:57

Penny and Tom

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Mon 14-Nov-16 16:10:39

Julia

DramaAlpaca Mon 14-Nov-16 16:10:48

From your lists, Margot & Stanley as they are the same style as Ivy.

BooeyBubbleHead Mon 14-Nov-16 16:14:57

Not massively keen on having 2 names associated with horticulture - I'm not even sure if he'd made that link.

Thank you so much for all of the brilliant suggestions; all really helpful. With Ivy, we left it so late to actually have a good discussion about girls names that DH caved after watching me give birth - I don't think he would choose any other name now though as it suits her so well. Hoping that we can reach a compromise before the arrival this time though!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now